TSMC unveils 6nm process

CiBi

Source

More information on TSMC 6nm and Samsung 5nm

TSMC's unveiling statement

TSMC’s N6 process delivers 18% higher logic density over the N7 process. At the same time, its design rules are fully compatible with TSMC’s proven N7 technology, allowing its comprehensive design ecosystem to be reused. As a result, it offers a seamless migration path with a fast design cycle time with very limited engineering resources for customers to achieve the product benefits from the new technology offering.

Looks like TSMC is doing good, they might be the best chip manufacturer soon. As far as I understand the naming scheme is very arbitrary and Intel's 7nm process for example is denser then TSMC's 5nm process so I don't really know where this 6nm process is going to land.

Scheduled for risk production in the first quarter of 2020

I assume we wont see this in products until 2021 but cool none the less.

silicon-wafer-computer-art-reject-2.jpg

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

I thought they were doing 5nm and not 6nm.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I thought they were doing 5nm and not 6nm.

As I understand they are testing out both and while 5nm is supposed to be a whole new process, 6nm is far more similar to the 7nm process. But I agree its complicated XD

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

Right this 6nm is really just the 7nm+?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

52 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Right this 6nm is really just the 7nm+?

basically. probably what their 7nm should of been in the first place

TSMC doesn't have as good of a process as intel for sure... but look at how intel struggles due to their "high requirements" basically.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Is that an Apple logo?

image.png.2ddff5ce8fba9b9141365e41cb20d8de.png

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Zen2+ on 6nm and Zen3  on 5nm??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

basically. probably what their 7nm should of been in the first place

TSMC doesn't have as good of a process as intel for sure... but look at how intel struggles due to their "high requirements" basically.

what does it matter if intel's papers look better if its all just that, tsmc is ahead and are better 

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's 7EUV+ :)

According to the OP it's distinct from 7nm+ but how, I am unsure....

By leveraging the new capabilities in extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography gained from the N7+ technology currently in risk production, TSMC’s N6 process delivers 18% higher logic density over the N7 process

More EUV layers? I know 7nm+ is only a few EUV layers

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/8129-samsung-5nm-tsmc-6nm-update.html

This provides a ton of info, looks like it really is a 7nm++ meant to compete with samsung which apparently already had 6nm (and 7nm) EUV.

Edit: TSMC's actual PDF release: https://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/pr/newspdf/THWQWQTHTH/NEWS_FILE_EN.pdf

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

19 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

what does it matter if intel's papers look better if its all just that, tsmc is ahead and are better 

Not sure how you figure that,  if by a head you mean they are going to release 7nm first then sure, but that doesn't make it better, we can't just say one is better because it has a smaller number, they are not directly relatable in that way.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Not sure how you figure that,  if by a head you mean they are going to release 7nm first then sure, but that doesn't make it better, we can't just say one is better because it has a smaller number, they are not directly relatable in that way.

yes i mean they have  7nm shipping in volume, and seem to be right on track stay a node ahead by the time intel releases 10nm, by most metrics both 10nm and 7nm should be really close (ignoring the fact that intel's 10nm wont be that dense), max frequency is the only thing that is up in the air, but 7nm is looking good

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

yes i mean they have  7nm shipping in volume, and seem to be right on track stay a node ahead by the time intel releases 10nm, by most metrics both 10nm and 7nm should be really close (ignoring the fact that intel's 10nm wont be that dense), max frequency is the only thing that is up in the air, but 7nm is looking good

While we dont have hard numbers we know that 7nm was targeting intel's original 10nm which was more dense in design than the new 10nm they have retaped out. At the very least intel is definitely having to play keep-up with samsung and TSMC right now. Intel's 7nm is another discussion

3 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

While we dont have hard numbers we know that 7nm was targeting intel's original 10nm which was more dense in design than the new 10nm they have retaped out. At the very least intel is definitely having to play keep-up with samsung and TSMC right now. Intel's 7nm is another discussion

I think it's all the same discussion,  they are all working on various nodes,  none of them are directly comparable and how fast each one gets to production is not a concrete detail.  Remember Intel still has an entire fab in Arizona waiting to be fit out.    If they starting fitting that out for their 7nm before 10nm you can bet your arse TMSC and Goflo won't hold any advantage for AMD and they will have to ensure their design is enough to keep them competitive. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think it's all the same discussion,  they are all working on various nodes,  none of them are directly comparable and how fast each one gets to production is not a concrete detail.  Remember Intel still has an entire fab in Arizona waiting to be fit out.    If they starting fitting that out for their 7nm before 10nm you can bet your arse TMSC and Goflo won't hold any advantage for AMD and they will have to ensure their design is enough to keep them competitive. 

They are fitting out that fab, it takes years. Intel 7nm is on track but only on track. TSMC already ships 7nm vs 14nm from Intel, they hold the lead, and could still hold it at 10nm. 10nm is already retaped and in production

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

They are fitting out that fab, it takes years. Intel 7nm is on track but only on track. TSMC already ships 7nm vs 14nm from Intel, they hold the lead, and could still hold it at 10nm. 10nm is already retaped and in production

That must have been announced only late last year was it?   Last time I checked fab42 it was still empty (I read it was initially meant for 10nm production). 

If Intel manage to ramp up their 10 and are fitting out for 7nm then as I said, that isn't much of a lead TMSC have.

11 hours ago, Agost said:

Is that an Apple logo?

image.png.2ddff5ce8fba9b9141365e41cb20d8de.png

no

it's obviously a Pacman 

9 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/8129-samsung-5nm-tsmc-6nm-update.html

This provides a ton of info, looks like it really is a 7nm++ meant to compete with samsung which apparently already had 6nm (and 7nm) EUV.

Edit: TSMC's actual PDF release: https://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/pr/newspdf/THWQWQTHTH/NEWS_FILE_EN.pdf

Thx, added to the source post.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

Why do you have a Problem to admit that TSMC is ahead of Intel in every way right now because Intel doesn't have any presentable 10nm Product that people care about?

What's the Problem to admit that someone else got better than Intel?

Under Brian they messed up their 10nm shit and didn't get it running, TSMC got their 7nm stuff running and are already selling massive products even in the desktop PC Market.

Hell, even really large dies (~350mm²) are manufactured at TSMC 7nm and sold to the public.

That's really far ahead.

ANd now they announced an improved 7nm process they called 6nm, that can be quickly used with the 7nm plans that companies have.

I don't see any reason to downplay what TSMC did.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why do you have a Problem to admit that TSMC is ahead of Intel in every way right now because Intel doesn't have any presentable 10nm Product that people care about?

What's the Problem to admit that someone else got better than Intel?

Under Brian they messed up their 10nm shit and didn't get it running, TSMC got their 7nm stuff running and are already selling massive products even in the desktop PC Market.

Hell, even really large dies (~350mm²) are manufactured at TSMC 7nm and sold to the public.

That's really far ahead.

ANd now they announced an improved 7nm process they called 6nm, that can be quickly used with the 7nm plans that companies have.

I don't see any reason to downplay what TSMC did.

Why do you have a problem?

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Why do you have a problem?

WHy you deny that TSMC is ahead of Intel?

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

WHy you deny that TSMC is ahead of Intel?

read my posts and you'll have your answer.

They're improving shrinking nm by nm doing quite well. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

That must have been announced only late last year was it?   Last time I checked fab42 it was still empty (I read it was initially meant for 10nm production). 

If Intel manage to ramp up their 10 and are fitting out for 7nm then as I said, that isn't much of a lead TMSC have.

I cant give too many details but I have a friend going to their Arizona fab this month to do things related to the bring up of the fab. And yes it is quite a lead.. when 7nm intel comes out they should catch up to tsmc's 5nm but by then tsmc should be working on 3nm. 5nm from TSMC is already in risk production and 7nm from intel is not