Has anyone seen these before?

Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,
36 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Well luckily no such thing happened. And would it still be right to call it bricked if it still functions even with the artifacts?

That won't happen since you're not increasing memory voltage, you're just increasing frequency, which doesn't hurt VRAM in any way but if you are increasing memory voltage, then you might have a chance of ruining the memory chips, but it takes a lot of effort to ruin them, you must be determined.

Though to mention, having a frequency bump will increase temperature, and in return will degrade the memory chips over a long period of time (stability), but it won't hurt it directly. (not saying you shouldn't overclock)

1191329555_WeirdScreenArtifact.thumb.png.8c80247144bf86b3bcfcef2af4cafaa5.pngYesterday I was testing out the performance when I OC my GTX950 to see any difference in my working applications. Harmless checking really, then when I hit the memory clock hard as I usually do with my othe rcards like GTX1060 and 1080, I saw these appear shortly. It was weird, they moved around and didn't go away until a full restart. I've never seen em before nor do I know much about visual issues on displays. Is this threatening to my card or PC or harmless side effects of a bad OC?

Could use an expert thanks!

This is caused by VRAM error. If you dial memory to default and still get those artefacts, then congratulations, you've just bricked a card.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

4 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Yesterday I was testing out the performance when I OC my GTX950 to see any difference in my working applications. Harmless checking really, then when I hit the memory clock hard as I usually do with my othe rcards like GTX1060 and 1080, I saw these appear shortly. It was weird, they moved around and didn't go away until a full restart. I've never seen em before nor do I know much about visual issues on displays. Is this threatening to my card or PC or harmless side effects of a bad OC?

Bad mem OC. Remove the memory overclock and they should disappear.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Your VRAM overclock is simply not stable like others mentioned.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Bad mem OC. Remove the memory overclock and they should disappear.

This was yesterday by the way and, indeed they did disappear after a simple restart. Thanks!

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

This is caused by VRAM error. If you dial memory to default and still get those artefacts, then congratulations, you've just bricked a card.

Well luckily no such thing happened. And would it still be right to call it bricked if it still functions even with the artifacts?

36 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

That won't happen since you're not increasing memory voltage, you're just increasing frequency, which doesn't hurt VRAM in any way but if you are increasing memory voltage, then you might have a chance of ruining the memory chips, but it takes a lot of effort to ruin them, you must be determined.

Though to mention, having a frequency bump will increase temperature, and in return will degrade the memory chips over a long period of time (stability), but it won't hurt it directly. (not saying you shouldn't overclock)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Honestly it's very hard to ruin an NVIDIA GPU without some modding, because as far as i'm aware, they don't allow you to change the voltage, they just give you a voltage percentage slider which doesn't seem to do anything.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.