Enable 144hz?

Cupar19

so i just bought myself a  Samsung LC27JG52QQUXEN monitor which is 1440p 144hz but i cant get 144hz to work.

advanced display properties and nvidia control panel both show the maximum refresh rate as being 60hz.

i am using displayport and also have 2 60hz monitors, one connected to the nvidia gpu and the other on the intel igpu

im on the latest version of windows 10

anybody know how to fix this?

Can you check the monitor's OSD to see if it shows 144Hz or 60Hz?

Otherwise, they do mention this in the manual:

image.png.fc50c32714378f1f053e55c3b54bcfd3.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Can you check the monitor's OSD to see if it shows 144Hz or 60Hz?

Otherwise, they do mention this in the manual:

image.png.fc50c32714378f1f053e55c3b54bcfd3.png

oh yea forgot to mention it is on DP 1.2 and 144hz is the set refreshrate

What GPU are you running? Does it definitely support DP 1.2? 

I ilke trains.

2 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

What GPU are you running? Does it definitely support DP 1.2? 

a gtx 1060 6gb, how do i find out if it supports DP 1.2

4 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

oh yea forgot to mention it is on DP 1.2 and 144hz is the set refreshrate

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

That has Displayport 1.4, so that shouldn't be the issue..

Did you use the original cable that came with the monitor? In the past I have seen people not use the original cable and not get full Hz.

I'm assuming this monitor is connected to your Nvidia GPU? Could you try another Displayport output if you have it?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

The 1060 does support DP 1.2, what about the cable? I've seen cheap cables that aren't properly certified cause issues.

It might be worth trying just the 144Hz monitor plugged in and see if it works then

I ilke trains.

Just now, Minibois said:

That has Displayport 1.4, so that shouldn't be the issue..

Did you use the original cable that came with the monitor? In the past I have seen people not use the original cable and not get full Hz.

I'm assuming this monitor is connected to your Nvidia GPU? Could you try another Displayport output if you have it?

Just now, MCManiac52 said:

The 1060 does support DP 1.2, what about the cable? I've seen cheap cables that aren't properly certified cause issues.

It might be worth trying just the 144Hz monitor plugged in and see if it works then

cable is the one that came with the monitor , the gpu has only one displayport output and even just the 144hz monitor does not fix it

4 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

cable is the one that came with the monitor , the gpu has only one displayport output and even just the 144hz monitor does not fix it

I did find these instructions; which basically goes over how you change the refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel:

1. Make sure you are NOT using HDMI... you will need DisplayPort or DVI

2. Go to the NIVIDIA Control Panel (you can easily access this by right clicking on your desktop) 

3. At the top of the NIVIDIA Control Panel will say "1. Select the display you would like to change." make sure you are on the correct display.

3. Under "2. Choose the resolution" on the NIVIDIA control panel, you will need to go to the "Resolution:" section and scroll down to the section titled "PC" (NOT "Ultra HD, HD, SD") from there you can click 1920 x 1080 and the Refresh rate options to the right will change and you will now have the option for 144Hz

You might have done this already, but it's worth double checking.

If the monitor came with a HDMI cable too, try that one out (on HDMI of the monitor) and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise I have seen people online suggest a driver reinstall (using DDU).

5 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

Double check your display drivers are up to date, then maybe try factory resetting the monitor, plug it into the PC, set the monitor to the right refresh rate, then set it it Nvidia CP

I ilke trains.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I did find these instructions; which basically goes over how you change the refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel:

You might have done this already, but it's worth double checking.

If the monitor came with a HDMI cable too, try that one out (on HDMI of the monitor) and see if that makes a difference.

yeah already tried that

Just now, MCManiac52 said:

Double check your display drivers are up to date, then maybe try factory resetting the monitor, plug it into the PC, set the monitor to the right refresh rate, then set it it Nvidia CP

just updated drivers and already tried the rest and nothing changed it

ok wait so after a driver update and a pc restart i now have the option to choose 120hz but still not 144

2 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

ok wait so after a driver update and a pc restart i now have the option to choose 120hz but still not 144

That's... A weird number.

This is what the different displayport versions support at 1440p:

image.png.4b7c3ec20a50789191e612722b2f4851.png

That's 1.0/1.1, 1.2, 1.3/1.4 respectively and nowhere does it mention 120Hz. max..

Apparently this is a know issue with Nvidia cards though, just Googling around about it.

People are suggesting kind of the 'basic' answers; such as reinstalling drivers, trying different cables, rolling back to a previous driver, etc. and sometimes some of the solutions do work for the OP of the thread.

If you want to experiment a bit, you could try out loading some older drivers and checking to see if there is a difference in what refresh rate you can choose.

Also, when you told me this:

11 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

yeah already tried that

Which of the three things were you referring to:

13 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Or was it just all three. Because I am still somewhat curious about connecting the HDMI on your card to HDMI 2 (that's the one next to the Displayport).

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

That's... A weird number.

This is what the different displayport versions support at 1440p:

image.png.4b7c3ec20a50789191e612722b2f4851.png

That's 1.0/1.1, 1.2, 1.3/1.4 respectively and nowhere does it mention 120Hz. max..

Apparently this is a know issue with Nvidia cards though, just Googling around about it.

People are suggesting kind of the 'basic' answers; such as reinstalling drivers, trying different cables, rolling back to a previous driver, etc. and sometimes some of the solutions do work for the OP of the thread.

If you want to experiment a bit, you could try out loading some older drivers and checking to see if there is a difference in what refresh rate you can choose.

Also, when you told me this:

Which of the three things were you referring to:

Or was it just all three. Because I am still somewhat curious about connecting the HDMI on your card to HDMI 2 (that's the one next to the Displayport).

yeah it was all 3, i can try a hdmi

Just now, Cupar19 said:

yeah it was all 3, i can try a hdmi

nope 60hz

3 hours ago, Cupar19 said:

nope 60hz

Did you try the HDMI 2 port? In the manual specifically it says HDMI 1 can do up to 60Hz, HDMI 2 can do up to 144Hz.