Display Overclocking Bottleneck?

I've done a little perusing of different forums, and I've noticed that most 60Hz monitors struggle to oc past ≈ 100Hz if that. I'm thinking of getting a high refresh rate display, and I already have two standard 60Hz displays, and I don't have enough space for three displays (nor do I feel the need to run three panels, two is more than enough for me), so I was thinking for fun, I'd try my luck at overclocking one of my spare displays.

My question is, what is it exactly that prevents display overclocks to push higher?

Is it a power limitation? Could getting a higher rated power brick help in pushing past that 100Hz marker? Is it a display panel quality thing, like will running a 60Hz rated panel at beyond 100Hz degrade the panel? Is it a display driver thing? Cooling?

I'd really love to know more about the process and I was hoping to find some choice advice on the forum. Do let me know if you have any idea of how the mechanics of display OCs work, I'm very intrigued!

It's the monitors panel and driver circuits generally. You can also hit display cable limits. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's the monitors panel and driver circuits generally. You can also hit display cable limits. 

Very interesting. For the sake of the argument, let's say that a theoretical 60Hz panel is like super high quality somehow, if you could change the driver circuit to something more capable, and didn't run into display cable limits, could you theoretically achieve an impressive display OC, like in excess of 100Hz?

Its extremely rare to get a 60Hz display that can OC to 100Hz. Even then, most of them are not actually runing at 100Hz because of frame skipping.

You can get most 60Hz displays to 70Hz-75Hz...maaaybe to 80Hz if you are lucky.

The overclockability of the display is mainly dependant on its scaler. Buying better display cables, power cables will not help you at all unless what you have right now is an absolute garbage.

And as I already mentioned. Just because you tell the display to run at 75Hz and it appears that its runing at 75Hz, it may be skipping frames so you will actually not get 75Hz even if it seems like it.

No harm done in trying to OC the display though. Ive done it on every monitor for years along with my friend. We never experienced an issue. The OC of minitor is different than OC of an CPU. You are not messing with voltages and power here.

You just tell the driver to run at X and the monitors scaler tries to run it at X. If it cant, it will fail and revert to previous settings.

10 minutes ago, ExodusR said:

Very interesting. For the sake of the argument, let's say that a theoretical 60Hz panel is like super high quality somehow, if you could change the driver circuit to something more capable, and didn't run into display cable limits, could you theoretically achieve an impressive display OC, like in excess of 100Hz?

Potentially yes. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Its extremely rare to get a 60Hz display that can OC to 100Hz. Even then, most of them are not actually runing at 100Hz because of frame skipping.

You can get most 60Hz displays to 70Hz-75Hz...maaaybe to 80Hz if you are lucky.

The overclockability of the display is mainly dependant on its scaler. Buying better display cables, power cables will not help you at all unless what you have right now is an absolute garbage.

And as I already mentioned. Just because you tell the display to run at 75Hz and it appears that its runing at 75Hz, it may be skipping frames so you will actually not get 75Hz even if it seems like it.

No harm done in trying to OC the display though. Ive done it on every monitor for years along with my friend. We never experienced an issue. The OC of minitor is different than OC of an CPU. You are not messing with voltages and power here.

You just tell the driver to run at X and the monitors scaler tries to run it at X. If it cant, it will fail and revert to previous settings.

From what I understand, the scaler is a piece of programmable hardware? So the manufacturer would define it's parameters? Again, I'm positing a hypothetical, but if you could modify the scaler to genuinely respond to higher refresh rates would that allow you to push higher monitor refreshes?

@Bananasplit_00 @WereCat

Could you tell me if I'm out of my depth here? 

Does this setup suggest that given the theoretically high quality panel, as long as I had a driver board that support high refresh rates, I could run the panel at above 100Hz, so long as the panel had an LVDS interface? 

I'm looking at one of these at the moment: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LCD-LED-120hz-controller-board-with_60789228083.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.2.56f96f49JzkvYV

6 minutes ago, ExodusR said:

@Bananasplit_00 @WereCat

Could you tell me if I'm out of my depth here? 

Does this setup suggest that given the theoretically high quality panel, as long as I had a driver board that support high refresh rates, I could run the panel at above 100Hz, so long as the panel had an LVDS interface? 

I'm looking at one of these at the moment: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LCD-LED-120hz-controller-board-with_60789228083.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.2.56f96f49JzkvYV

if you have a panel that could run 100Hz and the controller can do 100Hz then you can run it at 100Hz. Decerning what panels can run at 100Hz or whatever is the harder part

Builds:

Spoiler