Minecraft server in a Hyper-V VM

If you use windows to host MC you need to run it with max/min and garbage collection strings in the shortcut. This is what MineOS does for you automatically. Now I haven't hosted a MC server in probably 7.. ehh 8 years now - so maybe the they've done something about that.

Hyper+V and I would not pass the disk through. There's some fancy shenanigans Hyper-V + storage spaces can do better than whatever you decide to use for your VM.

My biggest bottleneck was always disk i/o - I've killed a SSD hosting a MC server. Now, I had logblock which allowed you to rollback block changes which for a 50 player server sat at 90gb from maybe 3-6 months worth of data. So if you're going to roll whatever today's version of logblock is, then 500gb would be great lol. I also ran dynmap which is heavy on the I/O. I'd absolutely use a SSD.

I would get a CPU with 4/8 instead of 6/12 - minecraft/java cares more about clockrate than cores. Granted if you're going to host a lot of MC servers you'll need all the cores you can get, but really you will hit your disk i/o before that if you're only going to roll a single disk.

I would almost say buy somethig more modern than a R710... I would look for a used 5th+ gen i7. R710 is great for a home lab and some basic services but I don't think it's going to do too great for a MC server. A modded server is really going to put the hurtin' on it.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:02 AM, Mikensan said:

If you use windows to host MC you need to run it with max/min and garbage collection strings in the shortcut.

I would almost say buy somethig more modern than a R710... I would look for a used 5th+ gen i7. R710 is great for a home lab and some basic services but I don't think it's going to do too great for a MC server. A modded server is really going to put the hurtin' on it.

Hmmm, i might try garbage collection as i have never used it in a normal windows jar file server XD

Yeah i have been contemplating getting a dedicated machine for the server just so i dont have to worry about these issues anymore. Was thinking of getting another DL380 G5 or a G6 with dual quad core xeons and 16gb/32gb of ram. The server is only dealing with under 20 people at the moment as its just serving my discord server atm.

CPU: i7 6700 @ 4.25Ghz on 1.26 volts

RAM: HyperX 8GB @ 2666Mhz (doesnt like to be oc'd)

MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming M3

GPU: Galax GTX 970 @ 1500Mhz  (with modified black EXOC bios)

Power Supply: Cougar CX700

SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 120GB

HDD: Segate Barrcuda 1TB

Case: Cougar Panzer Max

On 5/21/2019 at 7:50 AM, ShmoeMo said:

Hmmm, i might try garbage collection as i have never used it in a normal windows jar file server XD

Yeah i have been contemplating getting a dedicated machine for the server just so i dont have to worry about these issues anymore. Was thinking of getting another DL380 G5 or a G6 with dual quad core xeons and 16gb/32gb of ram. The server is only dealing with under 20 people at the moment as its just serving my discord server atm.

whats your current system. I hcan help you set up a jar & start.bat file for a minecraft server. either spigot, bukkit, or normal mc. Havent touched sponge yet, though ill be switching over eventually.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:02 PM, Bajantechnician said:

whats your current system. I hcan help you set up a jar & start.bat file for a minecraft server. either spigot, bukkit, or normal mc. Havent touched sponge yet, though ill be switching over eventually.

My server is running dual E5649 6core xeons, 64gb of ram and windows server 2012 r2 on a 128gb ssd but i have around 2tb of other storage present in the server. I will how ever be running other game servers on this server at the same time. was gonna dedicate 20gb of ram to the mc server. Also i will be using forge 2768 for mc version 1.12.2

On 5/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, ShmoeMo said:

My server is running dual E5649 6core xeons, 64gb of ram and windows server 2012 r2 on a 128gb ssd but i have around 2tb of other storage present in the server. I will how ever be running other game servers on this server at the same time. was gonna dedicate 20gb of ram to the mc server. Also i will be using forge 2768 for mc version 1.12.2

would you like me to set up a bat file for you?

On 5/30/2019 at 4:09 AM, Bajantechnician said:

would you like me to set up a bat file for you?

If thats ok with you that would be awesome. Im willing to give it a try, i have a mc server setup at the moment but inactive as it doesnt work becasue of this issue.

On 6/1/2019 at 4:02 AM, ShmoeMo said:

If thats ok with you that would be awesome. Im willing to give it a try, i have a mc server setup at the moment but inactive as it doesnt work becasue of this issue.

Sounds like a plan. Send me a pm and ill help you out with the configuration.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, ShmoeMo said:

Hey guys.

Just looking for some opinions about running a minecraft server in a Hyper-V VM using MineOS as the host OS, Pros and cons, expected bugs and issues.

I am looking to get a "new" rack mount server (Dell r710) with dual 6 core 12 thread xeons and 64gb of ram to host mutiple game servers at once. The other games i want to host i already know work fine in a VM.
As i know minecraft servers can be flakey af i thought i would get some opinions before attemting it.
I am planning on running Forge 2768 on MC version 1.12.2 with around 30 odd mods and was going to dedicate an entire spare 500gb hdd or spare ssd i have to that VM just to avoid any read/write bottle necks and probably like 10gb or more of ram to it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
ShmoeMo

I actualy use a r710 for some minecraft servers and a cople of R610s

on my r710 i have windows server 2016 installed and i am runing a cople of vms runing server 2016 and some with Ubuntu server to run MC servers (i am curently switching all over to linux) i have about 30GB storage for the VM and 16GB of memory. The storage i use is a seperate r610 runing FreeNas that has 1.6TB of 15K sas drives (probaly over kill but i got it for cheap) The reason i use a seperate server for storage is if the r710 fails for some reason i cam quickly import the VM to 1 of my other servers.\

But for some basic MC servers you shut be good with 1 r710 and a cople of drives localy.

Also 30 mods shut be fine i am curently runing a server for a pack with 500+ mods that has 12Gb memory alocated to the MC server and 30GB storage

PS sorry for my bad english