Minecraft server in a Hyper-V VM

Hey guys.

Just looking for some opinions about running a minecraft server in a Hyper-V VM using MineOS as the host OS, Pros and cons, expected bugs and issues.

I am looking to get a "new" rack mount server (Dell r710) with dual 6 core 12 thread xeons and 64gb of ram to host mutiple game servers at once. The other games i want to host i already know work fine in a VM.
As i know minecraft servers can be flakey af i thought i would get some opinions before attemting it.
I am planning on running Forge 2768 on MC version 1.12.2 with around 30 odd mods and was going to dedicate an entire spare 500gb hdd or spare ssd i have to that VM just to avoid any read/write bottle necks and probably like 10gb or more of ram to it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
ShmoeMo

CPU: i7 6700 @ 4.25Ghz on 1.26 volts

RAM: HyperX 8GB @ 2666Mhz (doesnt like to be oc'd)

MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming M3

GPU: Galax GTX 970 @ 1500Mhz  (with modified black EXOC bios)

Power Supply: Cougar CX700

SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 120GB

HDD: Segate Barrcuda 1TB

Case: Cougar Panzer Max

500GB of storage is stupid for a minecraft server. you only need 50 Tops. and Just use windows. makes it easy

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

1 minute ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

500GB of storage is stupid for a minecraft server. you only need 50 Tops. and Just use windows. makes it easy

Obviously 500gb for a mc server is overkill but i dont have any smaller drives other than ssd's that would still be fast enough. i only have old 160gb drives that are ancient.
I'll be using MineOS for the mc server as i use that now on a dedicated machine and its far better than using windows as a host OS for a MC server.

1 minute ago, ShmoeMo said:

Obviously 500gb for a mc server is overkill but i dont have any smaller drives other than ssd's that would still be fast enough. i only have old 160gb drives that are ancient.
I'll be using MineOS for the mc server as i use that now on a dedicated machine and its far better than using windows as a host OS for a MC server.

Actually, using Windows is very easy for a Minecraft server. i used to run 12 Servers in a Bungeecord network on a Very highpowered Windows machine, and it worked great. As for drives, you can get 160GB or even 80GB for a few $ on ebay that have the speed needed. i even have a ton of em if you needed.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

I've run multiple MC Servers on Ubuntu Server in Docker Containers with mapped storages (mostly FTB modpack based servers). I see no Problem running one in a VM.

3 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Actually, using Windows is very easy for a Minecraft server. i used to run 12 Servers in a Bungeecord network on a Very highpowered Windows machine, and it worked great. As for drives, you can get 160GB or even 80GB for a few $ on ebay that have the speed needed. i even have a ton of em if you needed.

Eveytime i have tried to host a mc server within windows i have always had some form of tick issues, even on vanilla. the moment i moved to mineos those issues where resolved.
Thanks for the offer but ill just stick with hardware i already have spare for the moment. i might even just grab a cheap ssd down the line as you can get 120gb ssd's for 30 AUD now and then i would be able to have a few vms on the same ssd.

Eveytime i have tried to host a mc server within windows i have always had some form of tick issues, even on vanilla. the moment i moved to mineos those issues where resolved.
Thanks for the offer but ill just stick with hardware i already have spare for the moment. i might even just grab a cheap ssd down the line as you can get 120gb ssd's for 30 AUD now and then i would be able to have a few vms on the same ssd.

for 30$ you can also get a 250GB SSD

5 minutes ago, SimssmiS said:

I've run multiple MC Servers on Ubuntu Server in Docker Containers with mapped storages (mostly FTB modpack based servers). I see no Problem running one in a VM.

Im hoping so. I cant find the post but i think i read somewhere a while ago the MC doest particularly like VM's as the VM system time cant keep up properly or something and then causes tick lag. if i could find the post i would link it but i seen that about a year ago. There was talk in that post that people where running cron jobs to update system time or something along those lines and apparently that was pretty effective but it still happened sometimes.

3 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

for 30$ you can also get a 250GB SSD

Where's this from?

I have always run gaming servers in a virtual machine on my gaming PC. Its easy and when its my server, i'm in control mwa ha ha! I use Ubuntu when the game is availble for linux coz i find its the fastest/easiest to setup. Ive never used mineOS (or heard of it)

8 minutes ago, ShmoeMo said:

Where's this from?

yea SSDs have dropped in price. I can get a 240GB samsung for NZD$50 which will prob be around US$30

1 minute ago, Steven123123 said:

I have always run gaming servers in a virtual machine on my gaming PC. Its easy and when its my server, i'm in control mwa ha ha! I use Ubuntu when the game is availble for linux coz i find its the fastest/easiest to setup. Ive never used mineOS (or heard of it)

If you have ran an mc server how did it go?

i ran 12 plus a bungeecord Server on one System no VM with Windows and it worked Great

Just now, ShmoeMo said:

I only invited my mates and we had no problems, except we stopped playing when someone started building penises everywhere

1 minute ago, Steven123123 said:

I only invited my mates and we had no problems, except we stopped playing when someone started building penises everywhere

Thats good to hear. HAHA of course XD

14 hours ago, ShmoeMo said:

You don't simply "give it an hdd/ssd". You create a .vhdx on an existing drive.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:54 AM, LamoidZombieDog said:

and Just use windows. makes it easy

There's absolutely no reason to use windows with its extra overhead. And MineOS is as easy because it has a web GUI and actually comes with a lot of features that would be cumbersome to implement on a windows VM.

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 6:15 AM, Acedia said:

You don't simply "give it an hdd/ssd". You create a .vhdx on an existing drive.

In Hyper-v you can dedicate the physical drive to a VM just have to make it offline in disk manager

14 hours ago, ShmoeMo said:

In Hyper-v you can dedicate the physical drive to a VM just have to make it offline in disk manager

I have yet to try this but the question remains: why? Just create a virtual disk and put it on. That way you can easily move it later without taking the VM down, you can place other vhdx on the same drive, etc.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, Acedia said:

I have yet to try this but the question remains: why? Just create a virtual disk and put it on. That way you can easily move it later without taking the VM down, you can place other vhdx on the same drive, etc.

Use virtual disks giving a MineOS vm a 500 gb hard drive is a waste of storage

On 4/30/2019 at 11:48 PM, ShmoeMo said:

but its normally a much better idea to use vhdx and you should use disk passthrough. Performance is about the same, and you get features like error correction with refs, compression and dedup to save space, snapshots and other features. And its much easier to move to anouther system.

And please don't use osx, windows or linux are much easier to run in a vm, and a minecraft server is just running a jar, nothing osx only.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

but its normally a much better idea to use vhdx and you should use disk passthrough. Performance is about the same, and you get features like error correction with refs, compression and dedup to save space, snapshots and other features. And its much easier to move to anouther system.

And please don't use osx, windows or linux are much easier to run in a vm, and a minecraft server is just running a jar, nothing osx only.

I was using the entire drive to eleminate any i/o write speed issues that could be causing me this. Even if i run a vanilla minecraft server downloaded from the MC website and run it on my servers host OS (Server 2012)  with a basic batch file it still gives me this tick lag. I just cant win with MC servers XD

13 minutes ago, ShmoeMo said:

I was using the entire drive to eleminate any i/o write speed issues that could be causing me this. Even if i run a vanilla minecraft server downloaded from the MC website and run it on my servers host OS (Server 2012)  with a basic batch file it still gives me this tick lag. I just cant win with MC servers XD

There should be almost no perfornace using a disk image.

how much disk are you using? Normally a minecraft server doesn't use much disk what what ive done.

How about getting a ssd or more ram?

On 5/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

There should be almost no perfornace using a disk image.

how much disk are you using? Normally a minecraft server doesn't use much disk what what ive done.

How about getting a ssd or more ram?

Dedicated an entire ssd to MC and 20+ gb of ram and for some stupid reason its does this even on vanilla

2 hours ago, ShmoeMo said:

Dedicated an entire ssd to MC and 20+ gb of ram and for some stupid reason its does this even on vanilla

how many players? This seems like a error. Try running the jar server on a plain linux vms. It shouldn't need almost any io, and 2-4gb of ram will be fine.

Just use vm images please, much better here.