OLED TVs as monitors

oled2019

I'd like to hear from computer enthusiasts who use OLED TVs and monitors for work (like browsing and Excel)

I currently use BenQ 4k monitors because they have low-blue-light mode, which is a revelation for people who work 12 hours a day.

But these IPS LED monitors have terrible black levels, unsuitable for gaming.

I'm considering a 55" or 65" OLED 4k TV but there are two important concerns:

1.) how is the blue light for all-day work?

2.) they use almost 500 Watts which is about $1 per day, every day. I'd get smaller (34") to save a lot on power but the only 4k OLED i can find under $1000 are huge TVs.

I'd like to think the time for OLED has come, but maybe i am desiring one too soon.

24 minutes ago, oled2019 said:

But these IPS LED monitors have terrible black levels, unsuitable for gaming.

I'm considering a 55" or 65" OLED 4k TV

What?

IPS monitors are the best color wise, VA monitors may offer slightly better contrast, but most prefer the benefits of IPS in this area.

TVs have terrible input lag, unless you get a dedicated gaming TV (like a BFGD),which is really just a big monitor, and none of those are OLED. This makes them unsuitable for anything but the most casual of console gaming.

OLED is not suitable for monitor use because of its tendency to burn in, things like the taskbar will leave permanent impressions.

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

The tip about the QLED is a very good contribution.

There are sources that say OLED has less than a third of the blue light of LED displays. I haven't found the same info about QLED but it appears Samsung has a blue light filter feature in its TVs, which solves the problem.

And there are 49" QLED models available, which is a lot more affordable than the larger OLED. Thank you for posting.

And yes, i'm holding off on a lot of gaming because the black levels on LED displays are just awful. 

9 hours ago, TeenTesla said:

TVs have terrible input lag, unless you get a dedicated gaming TV (like a BFGD),which is really just a big monitor, and none of those are OLED. This makes them unsuitable for anything but the most casual of console gaming.

Bit behind the times there mate. TV's nowadays tend to have good input latency figures, not all mind you, but most.

Its not uncommon to find TV's with less than 25ms, and even those around 10-15ms can be found. For example here

Bare in mind most monitors have an input latency between 5ms and 20ms.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

For the QLED: the cheaper Q6FN has much worse black levels than the top-end Q9FN, which runs almost $2000. It's the same model line but they use different backlighting systems. A person looking at Q9FN reviews and getting the cheaper Q6FN will be very disappointed.

If i can get a used OLED for just under $1000 i think it's the better option, since it has better picture than the $2k QLED.

I would just have to move the start menu to other monitors and move my app windows. It's probably a fair compromise to not have to stare at glowing black levels all day.

It seems we have to wait at least another year before something sensible in OLED comes out for computer users at an affordable price.

19 hours ago, oled2019 said:

-Snip-

I actually use a 55 B7 at my desk for a couple hours every night for gaming or watching movies/videos. OLED for web browsing or Excel probably isn't the best idea due to burn in. That being said in over a year of daily use I see no signs of burn in, though I don't let anything sit on screen for long periods of time (hide task bar and switch wallpaper ever 2 or 5 mins). In terms of gaming, however, it's pretty hard to beat. That is unless your after very high frame rates and even then it supports 1080p/120 (which doesn't look as bad as it sounds on 55 inches). The HDR in games that support it looks simply amazing. Sure some monitors and TV's get brighter but nothing looks quite as good as OLED yet. That's the main reason my X34 is now my secondary monitor. 

No doubt they use tons of power and can heat a room, but my computer can pull about 1100 watts at full tilt so, It's a moot point for me. As for the color you can always tone down blues, but I don't recall seeing and option for a blue light filter. I'd have to check tonight if it does. 

Hope that answers some questions about OLED as a monitor. Definitely do-able, and not once have I looked back to using the X34.

Edit: They do have an Eye Comfort Mode, which is basically a very warm color mode.

21 minutes ago, xtrosity said:

No doubt they use tons of power and can heat a room, but my computer can pull about 1100 watts at full tilt so, It's a moot point for me.

Depends on what ur comparing it to. I still use a Plasma :P now THAT eats power and heats a room , to the point i don't have my radiator on ..ever... My PC and Plasma is enough.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Depends on what ur comparing it to. I still use a Plasma :P now THAT eats power and heats a room , to the point i don't have my radiator on ..ever... My PC and Plasma is enough.

Ain't that the truth. The LG actually replaced my Panasonic plasma. Don't miss that heavy thing one bit. ?

On 4/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, SolarNova said:

Bit behind the times there mate. TV's nowadays tend to have good input latency figures, not all mind you, but most.

Its not uncommon to find TV's with less than 25ms, and even those around 10-15ms can be found. For example here

Bare in mind most monitors have an input latency between 5ms and 20ms.

Quite a bit behind the times there. Not many TVs at all actually will have that low input lag. It may be advertised that low but it damn sure isn't in 4k and not even at 1080. Those numbers are in pure game mode with any performance enhancing turned off and in 720p. 

44 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Quite a bit behind the times there. Not many TVs at all actually will have that low input lag. It may be advertised that low but it damn sure isn't in 4k and not even at 1080. Those numbers are in pure game mode with any performance enhancing turned off and in 720p. 

Not sure how to read that tbh, are you saying TV's have bad input lag nowadays ..or are u agreeing with me that TVs actually have good input lag (low).

I'm kinda reading as in u think TV have poor input lag (high input lag), which just isnt the case, see my link, that's not advertised ,thats tested.. You mention gaming mode, and yea that's the point of gaming mode, to lower input lag by not adding post processing to the image. Post processing doesn't increase performance but rather attempt to improve image quality of movie and TV channel content, such as removing noise, up scaling, motion control etc, all of which are not needed with signals from PC's and consoles.

Even the OLED is still > 20ms with game mode. TV's still do not have great input lag. Monitors still > in that regard. High end tv vs high end monitor, high end monitor wins with response time and imput lag.