Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qqqqqq

GPU Throttling / Choking usage

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Essentially, the more GPU intensive the area, the lower my GPU usage goes, in easy to render areas, such as areas at sea or staring directly at skyboxes, my GPU usage maxes out at 99% utilisation and my FPS surpasses 200 easily. However, when in dense areas that are populated with AI, enemies, buildings and other structures, my GPU usage drops down to 30-50% and my FPS goes below 90.

Temperatures range from 55-65 on both my CPU and GPU.

My GPU is not overclocked, my power limit and temp limits are both maxxed.

GPU-Z only returns VRel in PerfCap Reason (which means the GPU can not boost any higher than it's current clock without being unstable.)

 

Titles this occurs in:
 - DOOM

 - Dishonored 2

 - Far Cry New Dawn

 - Borderlands 2

 

Specs:

i7-7700k @ 4.8GHz

GA-Z270-HD3

CL16 2666MHz DDR4

ASUS Strix 1080 Ti

 


i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 16GB 3200MHz | GA-Z270-HD3

Userbenchmark results

Link to post
Share on other sites

Immediately I think of a CPU bottleneck.  The GPU intensive areas you mention are also likely CPU intensive and that may make more of a difference.  That said, I wouldn't really expect a significant issue with your specs.  Is this a new problem or has it always behaved this way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Immediately I think of a CPU bottleneck.  The GPU intensive areas you mention are also likely CPU intensive and that may make more of a difference.  That said, I wouldn't really expect a significant issue with your specs.  Is this a new problem or has it always behaved this way?

It has mostly always behaved this way, considering it's doing this in titles from 2012 I doubt it's a CPU bottleneck as my CPU usage is always quite low.

Disabling GeForce experience auto-optimization helped a bit but it has in no way eradicated the issue.


i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 16GB 3200MHz | GA-Z270-HD3

Userbenchmark results

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

It has mostly always behaved this way, considering it's doing this in titles from 2012 I doubt it's a CPU bottleneck as my CPU usage is always quite low.

Disabling GeForce experience auto-optimization helped a bit but it has in no way eradicated the issue.

Yeah I really wouldn't expect it either, it's just the first thing that came to mind.  The issue is if it's not that then there must be some weird software issue going on and that can be hard to track down.  You mentioned that in these heavy scenes you are voltage limited according to GPUZ.  Is the clock speed staying at the highest it can go?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I really wouldn't expect it either, it's just the first thing that came to mind.  The issue is if it's not that then there must be some weird software issue going on and that can be hard to track down.  You mentioned that in these heavy scenes you are voltage limited according to GPUZ.  Is the clock speed staying at the highest it can go?

My clock speed is pretty much always 1898MHz, never changes during the aforementioned drops. The GPU-Z reading generally means it's boosting normally and usage statistics are normal as well, however we both know that the usage is definitely out of the ordinary.


i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 16GB 3200MHz | GA-Z270-HD3

Userbenchmark results

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you running the RAM at the said speed of 2666mhz ?
can it go higher ? or is it a 2400mhz kit running higher already?

 

Du you have an idea what your frame times are ? or if there is some light micro stutter ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

Are you running the RAM at the said speed of 2666mhz ?
can it go higher ? or is it a 2400mhz kit running higher already?

 

Du you have an idea what your frame times are ? or if there is some light micro stutter ?

I will check my frametimes now, my ram is 2666MHz @ CL16 by default, I am running it at 3000MHz CL16 always.

 

Edit: my frametimes vary between 7ms and 15ms.


i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 16GB 3200MHz | GA-Z270-HD3

Userbenchmark results

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

I will check my frametimes now, my ram is 2666MHz @ CL16 by default, I am running it at 3000MHz CL16 always.

in the text under your window it says the ram is rated at 3200mhz try running it at that speed and see if it changes somehing.

i kinda have a similar issue with another game Black Desert Online, my ram is rated at 2400mhz but i can oc it to run 2933 mhz what helped my cause but it might be game specific.

i have a 8700k @4.9ghz and a 2080ti running the game in 1440p 120hz easy highest setting, but when i do grind in that game my fps go as low as 50-90 fps when i had my ram at 2400 mhz after i got it up to 2933mhz i was between 70-90 fps. It doesent matter what setting i run the game in may it be Low or ultra-high it always happens when i grind.
 

My frame times in the game are between 6-21 ms hence the stutter for me sometimes ingame and when i get frame time spikes my fps go to the 50's.

 

Edited by SoreRaito
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

Here's an example of it happening.

Dishonored 2 Screenshot 2019.04.16 - 15.36.35.50.png

is that your normal frame time 13ms?

can you have a look in MSI afterburner what your voltage say for your gpu when the frames go lower ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

Here's an example of it happening.

 

 

Turn on "Unified GPU monitoring" in MSI Afterburner and re-check,

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Turn on "Unified GPU monitoring" in MSI Afterburner and re-check,

That's listed as an option for AMD GPUs only.

 

4 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

is that your normal frame time 13ms?

can you have a look in MSI afterburner what your voltage say for your gpu when the frames go lower ?

Updated image including power consumption percentage:

 

Dishonored 2 Screenshot 2019.04.16 - 15.49.52.22.png


i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 16GB 3200MHz | GA-Z270-HD3

Userbenchmark results

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, qqqqqq said:

Updated image including power consumption percentage:

So frame times are okay power consumption seems fine too. Im out of hardware ideas then.

 

The other possible thing is that it is software related then but that is something i cant help with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×