Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakeguy81

Google Chrome Traffic Shaping?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Here is something interesting that happened to me today.  I was watching a Netflix movie, and I wanted to download the latest Debian Linux DVD ISO.  I started the ISO download in Chrome, it got up to a constant 4 MB/s, I switched back to my Netflix tab, and after a couple of minutes of watching I paused it to check my download, it throttled back to ~200 KB/s before reaching 4 MB/s again.  It did this several times as I paused the Netflix movie and switched back to my Downloads tab.  I never heard of Google Chrome actively shaping internet traffic.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit

most browsers prioritize browser content over downloads afaik

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus Q87M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Interesting, I can't say I've ever noticed this myself but it makes sense that they would - whatever you're actively doing should take priority over a passive background download.