What is "bottlenecking" my PC?

Jvill40

Recently I've been getting some stuttering in my gaming experience among various games while watching a stream on my second monitor. It isn't constant and doesn't always happen. For example I have been playing Battlefield V and watching a twitch stream on my other monitor and the game will get hung up for a second or two and lag. I'm thinking maybe it is my graphics card which is why I am posting in this sub. My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i5-6500 @3.20GHz

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz (4 x 4GB sticks)

GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB

Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151

PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold

I'm not sure if there is somewhere I can look on my PC to see what could be causing this lag since the game doesn't fully crash or anything. Any help or advice is welcome and thank you in advance!

I'd bet on the CPU. BF V loves it some threads, and something's got to keep that video playing.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Recently I've been getting some stuttering in my gaming experience among various games while watching a stream on my second monitor. It isn't constant and doesn't always happen. For example I have been playing Battlefield V and watching a twitch stream on my other monitor and the game will get hung up for a second or two and lag. I'm thinking maybe it is my graphics card which is why I am posting in this sub. My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i5-6500 @3.20GHz

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz (4 x 4GB sticks)

GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB

Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151

PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold

I'm not sure if there is somewhere I can look on my PC to see what could be causing this lag since the game doesn't fully crash or anything. Any help or advice is welcome and thank you in advance!

Try playing without twitch open? If the problem stays then be worried, but as @aisle9 has said, BFV loves a beefy cpu.

does it happen in other games too?

30 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Try playing without twitch open? If the problem stays then be worried, but as @aisle9 has said, BFV loves a beefy cpu.

The CPU is pretty weak and will cause a bottleneck for sure. 

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

39 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

When I don't have twitch open I don't experience the stuttering, but I'm trying to see what I can do to eliminate the problem when I do have twitch open. The stuttering doesn't happen with all other games I play but off the top of my head there are issues when I play GTA V and Apex Legends while watching a stream as well. 

44 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'd bet on the CPU. BF V loves it some threads, and something's got to keep that video playing.

Alright, thanks. Maybe it's time for me to start looking for an upgrade then. Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The CPU is pretty weak and will cause a bottleneck for sure. 

Alright, thanks. Any suggestions off the top of your head on an upgrade that will still fit my motherboard? 

2 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Alright, thanks. Maybe it's time for me to start looking for an upgrade then. Any suggestions?

i7-7700K

i7-6700K

i7-7700

i7-6700

3 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

When I don't have twitch open I don't experience the stuttering,

Simple, do not twitch and game on same machine. reuse any old laptops etc

2 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Alright, thanks. Any suggestions off the top of your head on an upgrade that will still fit my motherboard? 

Yes, grab this CPU  CPU 8700k

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Yes, grab this CPU  CPU 8700k

On a Z170?

I don't know why you'd be trying to watch a stream while also playing a game at the same time but if that's the requirement then so be it.  I would also guess it's a CPU issue - as mentioned, more recent BF titles really use a lot of CPU and like a lot of cores, and, while I've never managed to confirm this myself, I have heard of a case once of twitch pinning an entire CPU core for no reason, so if that was happening it would be even more likely.  If the game runs fine without the video going, try setting the game to a high priority in task manager and/or twitch to a low priority.  If that doesn't work, I'd consider using a spare system to watch the video (laptop, etc.).  Finally, if you absolutely need to upgrade anyway you can probably solve this problem at the same time.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't know why you'd be trying to watch a stream while also playing a game at the same time but if that's the requirement then so be it.  I would also guess it's a CPU issue - as mentioned, more recent BF titles really use a lot of CPU and like a lot of cores, and, while I've never managed to confirm this myself, I have heard of a case once of twitch pinning an entire CPU core for no reason, so if that was happening it would be even more likely.  If the game runs fine without the video going, I'd consider using a spare system to watch the video (laptop, etc.), but if you need to upgrade anyway you can probably solve this problem at the same time.

I just like to have other "background noise" through loading screens and during more casual gaming sessions. GTA V loading screens seem to take forever and its nice to be able to check out a stream when I'm thirsted in Apex or what not. It's probably about time for an upgrade anyway though so you're right about solving two problems at once. I'll definitely try setting a higher priority in task manager though and see if that solves the issue. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

i7-7700K

i7-6700K

i7-7700

i7-6700

So you think sticking on the Intel route is my best bet?

3 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

So you think sticking on the Intel route is my best bet?

old i7 upgrade are expensive as hell!!

you may consider laptop modded i7 cheaper at your own risk...(eg 6700hq)