would you buy 14in laptop of 15in

Ok so lets say you are a student who needs portability and and ability to play triple A titles at 60fps at a budget of $1000 you find two used laptops one is a thin and light 14in laptop with a i7 6700HQ and gtx 970m 6gb with 16gb ram and a slightly thicker more heavy 15.6in laptop with i7 7700HQ and a gtx 1060 6gb with 16gb ram which one will you pick?

The bigger one. The specs are all there for a better CPU and a better experience. For me bigger is better and I'd kill for a laptop at that spec.Not to mention bigger laptop most likely means better cooling and therefore better performance in everyday use compared to a smaller laptop. If you can carry the extra 0.5-1 pound or so for the bigger screen, better CPU and therefore slightly better longevity I would go for it.

think of it like this:

Pros:

• bigger screen
  • newer spec
  • faster spec

Cons:

• heavier

It's whether or not you're willing to put in the extra carry work for the boost that matters here.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

2 minutes ago, Ah2004 said:

slightly thicker more heavy 15.6in laptop with i7 7700HQ and a gtx 1060 6gb with 16gb ram which one will you pick?

the 1060 positively annihilates the 970m, this one any day hands down.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

what if i told you one was a razer blade 14 and the other is a gigabyte p55w v7

DaJakerBoss

fasauceome

Get a a decent 14" system with no dgpu and do an external GPU setup.

You'll hate yourself for carrying a heavy gaming laptop around campus

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

i am in high school that is what i was thinking i am using a 15.6 laptop that weights about 3kg and my hands are quite small and i basically have no strength.

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

but external gpu's are expensive and i can't game at school then?

Just now, Ah2004 said:

i am in high school that is what i was thinking i am using a 15.6 laptop that weights about 3kg and my hands are quite small and i basically have no strength.

under that description then yeah I'd say go for a good spec laptop with a similar CPU and screen size and thunderbolt, and go for an eGPU at home. Just know that isn't very cheap and I can't promise it will stay under $1000 for an option like that factoring in the eGPU enclosure.

1 minute ago, Ah2004 said:

You could game at school, just on your integrated graphics, so it wouldn't be as good as at home with your eGPU, but it will still run.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

but external gpu's

also, you're buying used, so you could go for a good spec graphics card and still get a good card at a good deal, especially if you go AMD which is doing really well on the used market.

5 minutes ago, Ah2004 said:

That would be a downside, yeah. Though intels integrated graphics arent the worst thing the world if you can play on a lower resolution or low settings

I have both an XPS 13 and a GS63, I always bring my XPS with me to school, but on the off day if I forget to charge it or something I'll grab my bigger gaming laptop and take it with me. I hate those days because my back is sore, there's less room in my bag and theres barely any desk space in lectures.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

barely any desk space in lectures.

overclock your cpu fans and levitate it /s

That would be a downside, yeah. Though intels integrated graphics arent the worst thing the world if you can play on a lower resolution & low settings

I have both an XPS 13 and a GS63, I always bring my XPS with me to school, but on the off day if I forget to charge it or something I'll grab my bigger gaming laptop and take it with me. I hate those days because my back is sore, there's less room in my bag and theres barely any desk space in lectures.

i have a dual core Intel Pentium so i wont no how the integrated graphics on new cpus are 

2 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

overclock your cpu fans and levitate it /s

lmao

i have a dual core Intel Pentium so i wont no how the integrated graphics on new cpus are 

They're not horrible, I can play a fair few games with 620 graphics on low settings.

Played fallout 4 even- it wasnt great but it worked fine. Game was playable 

They're not horrible, I can play a fair few games with 620 graphics on low settings.

Played fallout 4 even- it wasnt great but it worked fine. Game was playable 

do razer blade 14 laptops have overheating issues?

Just now, Ah2004 said:

do razer blade 14 laptops have overheating issues?

And quality control issues, I'd stay away from them.

3 minutes ago, Ah2004 said:

dual core Intel Pentium

F to pay respects

But to bring us back,

you can either go get a back workout with a solid capable laptop that will kick ass at $1000, or go for a good quality laptop with no dGPU and go eGPU at home. Personally I'd go for the bigger laptop and bear the pain (you get used to it after a while, I had an absolute unit myself), and go for an SSD in the event it slips one day. Screens are more durable than you think.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

what if its used?

what if its used?

even worse tbh, now you have to dear with potential defects due to wear and tear of a previous owner

4 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

even worse tbh, now you have to dear with potential defects due to wear and tear of a previous owner

most of the tech i buy is used like this 7 year old laptop i am using it was used and my phone my xbox tv you name it its all used i got my xbox for $170 with a 1tb and halo mcc and gears of war ultimate never had issues with any used stuff just loved the prices 

most of the tech i buy is used like this 7 year old laptop i am using it was used and my phone my xbox tv you name it its all used i got my xbox for $170 with a 1tb and halo mcc and gears of war ultimate never had issues with any used stuff just loved the prices 

Me too, but we can still be careful.

What's your verdict and/or thinking between the two laptops?

3 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Me too, but we can still be careful.

What's your verdict and/or thinking between the two laptops?

its a one time buy and considering the fact that the razer blade 14 has a thunderbolt 3 i would probably go with the 14 as its thinner,lighter,more durable,more features,and future proof and being a 6th gen i7 is going to be the end of the world considering the fact ill be switching from a dual core Intel Pentium and lets be honest the 970m is not that bad right? what do you think? +the chroma keyboard ?

Just now, Ah2004 said:

its a one time buy and considering the fact that the razer blade 14 has a thunderbolt 3 i would probably go with the 14 as its thinner,lighter,more durable,more features,and future proof and being a 6th gen i7 is going to be the end of the world considering the fact ill be switching from a dual core Intel Pentium and lets be honest the 970m is not that bad right? what do you think? +the chroma keyboard ?

Not terrible, but benchmarks say eh

...But it obviously fits your wishlist and the potential for a better eGPU later on would benefit you if and when you get the money for the card and enclosure.

Just be wary of that word future-proof:

23 minutes ago, Slottr said:

they dropped the "m" on the 10 series mobile graphics for a reason. Avoid older "m" cards. They are cut down and shitty

7 hours ago, Ah2004 said:

what if i told you one was a razer blade 14 and the other is a gigabyte p55w v7

Neither are good models

Why go for 14 inch when there is thin and light 15 inch+thin bezels

Where are you from? Usage? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128