Dell Latitude E6250 and 4G LTE

mr cheese

I didn't know where else to post this so I'll drop it here.

At school I unearthed a Dell Latitude E6250 that had been stripped for parts and stowed away in catacombs of the IT closet. After blowing off the dust and installing an HDD and RAM I found out it had a SIM card, making it a 3G capable machine.

The school has said they're gonna toss it in the next wave of laptop replacements coming soon and that if they do need to purge the laptop I could take it. However, ow that it's out I'm allowed to experiment with it.

I'm aware the laptop supports 3G (has an AT&T SIM in it) but since the 3G network has been gutted and cannibalized for the 4G and 4G LTE networks, I have a feeling that even if it did get activated it would be slow as hell.

However, Dell has a part out, the DW5800 that belongs in higher-ranking E6** (owo) ranking laptops (the software contains the name and the systems supporting the chip here) that can connect to 4G and 4G LTE networks (this chip came out around the time Verizon was pushing it, so this little part was pretty landmark and had some press around it, plenty of articles online about it).

My question is, since all it really is is a mini PCI card, is it possible to install it or an equivalent card to get 4G LTE on this laptop?

...and before you ask why, just know yes this is a really stupid idea but at this point I kinda want to do it and if not actually go through with it I just want to see if it's possible.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

21 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

My question is, since all it really is is a mini PCI card, is it possible to install it or an equivalent card to get 4G LTE on this laptop?

The link you shared says the driver is for this computer. So there is a possibility. The challenge is going to be finding a card that works for your provider and finding a plan that works as well. Keep in mind that unlimited data plans rarely exist for 4G modems, they tend to be a phone thing only. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

unlimited data plans rarely exist for 4G modems

I don't intent to pay for that, probably something of a 2GB plan for emergencies and whatnot.

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The link you shared says the driver is for this computer.

I somehow mixed up the 6520 with the number 6250, thanks

I'll do some research on plans, thanks for the help

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W