help with understanding pci lanes

Hi everyone I'm building my first PC and my journey has been way out of order so far. I started by getting an ASUS x299 prime deluxe motherboard because I wanted to just go crazy. My question is, how many pcie lanes will my system use?

I plan on running one gpu, one - two M.2 drives and one - two sata drives. I guess my real question is am I limited by the number of pcie lanes the CPU has? If a CPU has 28 pcie lanes, can I only add hardware that uses a total of 28 pcie lanes?

Noob question for sure but it could make a difference on the CPU I get (I'm getting anxious to get the system up and the CPU is the last bit)

Here is my part list:

4 dimms of ram

1 gpu

2 m.2 drives

1 SSD

1 HDD

Thanks!

That is cpu lanes for video card or other pcie devices that utilize cpu lanes such as nvme

The chipset has its own pcie lanes although i am not sure how many but for your setup you dont have to worry about it.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

agreed. even if your GPU uses 8 lanes instead of 16 because of another device... you're not going to notice a difference.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

13 minutes ago, DevangJoshi said:

Hi everyone I'm building my first PC and my journey has been way out of order so far. I started by getting an ASUS x299 prime deluxe motherboard because I wanted to just go crazy. My question is, how many pcie lanes will my system use?

I plan on running one gpu, one - two M.2 drives and one - two sata drives. I guess my real question is am I limited by the number of pcie lanes the CPU has? If a CPU has 28 pcie lanes, can I only add hardware that uses a total of 28 pcie lanes?

Noob question for sure but it could make a difference on the CPU I get (I'm getting anxious to get the system up and the CPU is the last bit)

Here is my part list:

4 dimms of ram

1 gpu

2 m.2 drives

1 SSD

1 HDD

Thanks!

PCI-E lanes are lanes for your PCI-E slots (including M.2) your average modern day GPU will eat 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes (though unless you are running something on the level of a 2070 for faster your GPU can get away with 8 ) and an M.2 NVME will usually eat 4 so assuming you have 2 NVME drives (the most possible lanes that your current setup could consume)  and that you have a modern GPU your PC will probably consume 24 lanes.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!