Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muscle_Man1993

Non Gaming laptop with an eGPU or a laptop with a GPU

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was looking around for a new laptop to replace my Dell G3. It's a great laptop but the battery is not working for me.

I am computer science student and looking to game in my free time, whenever I can find it.

I am thinking about going in one of two approaches:

1) A Dell XPS 13 with an HP Omen GA-1 and an external GPU, depends on the remaining amount in the budget

2) A Razer blade advanced with a 2060

The budget mentioned above is CAD 3000, approx. Both come to around this budget, although the Dell option is slightly cheaper.

I am wondering if there will be a performance decrease with the eGPU or if there is something I need to think about.

I would've loved to get a desktop, but I need to occasionally travel back home, flight, and I don't want to have to the desktop whenever I move.

Any advice?

I agree with the XPS.  You'll want that extra battery life for classes.  Also, avoid the 4k display versions.  It's a waste of money.  You won't be able to drive games at 4k and it will only reduce battery life even further.  Not to mention all of the persistent scaling issues in Windows.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

I'd get an ultrabook, drop the rest into a desktop. If it absolutely must be portable, make it an ITX desktop; they're the same size, if not much larger than the external enclosure you'd be looking at. External GPU enclosures don't make a ton of sense, since you'll be experiencing a drop in the GPU's performance...IIRC it was about a step down to the lower tier GPU, if not a little better. For example, a 2070 in an enclosure would be only a little better than a 2060 in a regular PC.

Not only does this give you better performance, but if you're getting an ultrabook you won't be stressing it out by subjecting it to the high heat loads of gaming...and frankly most don't have the CPU for it.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd get an ultrabook, drop the rest into a desktop. If it absolutely must be portable, make it an ITX desktop; they're the same size, if not much larger than the external enclosure you'd be looking at. External GPU enclosures don't make a ton of sense, since you'll be experiencing a drop in the GPU's performance...IIRC it was about a step down to the lower tier GPU, if not a little better. For example, a 2070 in an enclosure would be only a little better than a 2060 in a regular PC.

Not only does this give you better performance, but if you're getting an ultrabook you won't be stressing it out by subjecting it to the high heat loads of gaming...and frankly most don't have the CPU for it.

I am trying to avoid a desktop because then I will need to carry around not only the tower hut also all the peripherals, too much for just one bag on the plane.

10 hours ago, Muscle_Man1993 said:

there will be a performance decrease with the eGPU

Yes, anything better than 1060 will have noticeable bottleneck. The best performance you can get via TB3 is around 1060N-1070N despite using 2080TI

10 hours ago, Muscle_Man1993 said:

CAD 3000

Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Laptop recommender and enthusiast

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

Laptop Reviews:

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)