Terror of a Fire - Youtube mistakes Notre Dame fire as potentially misleading

rcmaehl

Sources:
CNBC
9to5 Google

Summary:
Triggered for a seemingly unknown reason, Youtube's anti-fake news banners appeared on Dozens of streams of the Notre Dame fire linking to the 9/11 Terror Attacks

Media:
screen grab youtube

Quotes/Excerpts:

YouTube has been trying to grapple with “fake news” on its platform. One tool the site has leveraged to address misinformation is a context card that links to Wikipedia, Encyclopedia Britannica, and other third-party sources. That information panel failed in a high-profile manner today as the Notre Dame Cathedral burns.  Two livestreams from France 24 today links to an Encyclopedia Britannica article about the September 11 attacks. This card on mobile and the web features an image, brief summary, and full link to that unrelated piece of context. YouTube announced how it was “giving users more sources of information on topical searches and videos.” The site was specifically hoping to correct misinformation on “established historical and scientific topics”. This live fire in Paris does not meet that criteria.  YouTube’s existing plans do not yet address misinformation during breaking news events. The app highlights a shelf of trusted channels delivering live reporting, and inserts news article in search results. YouTube has issued a statement to BuzzFeed noting how the panels were “triggered algorithmically and our systems sometimes make the wrong call.” The Google company is “disabling these panels for livestreams related to the fire.”

My Thoughts:
We'll that's quite a dozy of a mistake. I'm quite unsure of how the algorithm confused this with 9/11 and surely needs more work. Regardless, I'm sure this will be a good learning experience for YouTube and hopefully it won't happen again.

Edited by rcmaehl
Forgot to link 9to5 google. Fixed

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Funny but I noticed that fake news tag when I was looking at love stream. I thought it was some satirical bs or something. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

To think they wouldn't even need to be tackling fake news if people weren't selfish ares holes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not the first time I've seen a live stream that was incorrectly tagged with the anti-fake news about 9/11 this month. There really is no confidence Youtube will get this right or use it appropriately: Anti-fake news is just as fake as what it meant to fight against [SW prequel meme here]

Youtube flags Notre Dame fire as fake news

what???? This is completely false @rcmaehl

The algorithm confused this incident with 9/11 IT DID NOT CONFUSE IT WITH BEING FAKE NEWS

ironically, you are the one spreading fake news.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

To think they wouldn't even need to be tackling fake news if people weren't selfish ares holes.

Or if people would actually talk about uncomfortable things, rather than just try to discredit the person they disagree with.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Or if people would actually talk about uncomfortable things, rather than just try to discredit the person they disagree with.

Refusing to talk or allow discussion of uncomfortable things is also selfish.

I was thinking more of the fuckwits who knowingly make fake news for either financial gain or to promote a ideological ideal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Refusing to talk or allow discussion of uncomfortable things is also selfish.

I was thinking more of the fuckwits who knowingly make fake news for either financial gain or to promote a ideological ideal.

So the mass media in general, as well as politicians then.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And this is one of the greatest dangers of machine learning. We don't know where it might break until it breaks and there's no real way to look under the hood and manually fix stuff.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

what???? This is completely false @rcmaehl

The algorithm confused this incident with 9/11 IT DID NOT CONFUSE IT WITH BEING FAKE NEWS

ironically, you are the one spreading fake news.

Okay so.

• Youtube puts these banners on misleading or "fake news" videos
  • The live streams of the fire had this banner
  • A=B, B=C, thus A=C

Youtube thought these videos were misleading or fake news

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

The work-in-progress algorithm probably just saw a lot of smoke.

Also I've seen that 'anti-fake news' banner link to wikipedia a lot. the irony...

Youtube should know that where there is smoke - there is fire.

50 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Youtube puts these banners on misleading or "fake news" videos

wrong. They put the banners on all videos involving common conspiracy theories, misleading or 100% factual.

Here is the original moon landing video from NASA. It has the banner

Please edit your title.

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

wrong. They put the banners on all videos involving common conspiracy theories, misleading or 100% factual.

Please edit your title.

You may be on to something.  Neil Cavuto had to hang up on someone he was talking with through the broadcasting phone during the Notre Dame broadcast, because the guy on the phone was wasting no time in getting into conspiracy theory BS.  Something about the fire having to do with a "smear campaign" is what I remember.  "We don't have any information about how the fire started, so we shouldn't say anything about that yet," Cavuto said.  The guy batted down Cavuto's request to stop and returned to his conspiracy theory.  Cavuto had to apologize to him, hang up on him, and then apologize to the viewers.  Baseless conspiracy theory BS during an emotional and shocking event like that is not at all acceptable; I'm glad Cavuto handled it so well.  The guy was being so insensitive and distasteful during an event that left people crying around the world.

Yes, conspiracy theories about the Notre Dame fire are already starting to circulate.  Very, very sad, but it would explain the "fake news" labels on YouTube if @poochyena is correct.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

This must really be a slow story with not much to discuss if people have to whinge about the title being inaccurate.   It gets the message across, it's hardly clickbait.  what's the big deal?

15 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Please edit your title.

Can we really trust NASA to be unbiased in the fact that they landed on the moon though?!?!? They would certainly have a lot to gain from a successful landing whether it happened or not...

Spoiler

/s if you're too dumb to not see the sarcasm in the above post...

Macron did 4/15

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

There is a reason I refer to Youtube as Boobtube. For crying out, footage of the fire as been all over the news today.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 4/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, Techstorm970 said:

Neil Cavuto had to hang up on someone he was talking with through the broadcasting phone during the Notre Dame broadcast, because the guy on the phone was wasting no time in getting into conspiracy theory

The thing is, while we still don't know what happened there for sure, we do know that France has experienced numerous church fires & vandalism recently.  It's not entirely unexpected that people would attempt to connect the dots.  We should obviously wait for facts before making any firm statements, but it's not surprising that people are speculating on the cause.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:01 AM, rcmaehl said:

Okay so.

• Youtube puts these banners on misleading or "fake news" videos
  • The live streams of the fire had this banner
  • A=B, B=C, thus A=C

Youtube thought these videos were misleading or fake news

I got one of those banners yesterday on a cooking video. The intent is to provide some more information on topics presented in the video, it has nothing to do with videos being misleading.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I got one of those banners yesterday on a cooking video. The intent is to provide some more information on topics presented in the video, it has nothing to do with videos being misleading.

Then why do they need more information? And why does nearly every article explaining it refer to it as a counter to fake news?