Does the youth generations choosing hip-hop over punk-rock?

LightParticle
On 4/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, LightParticle said:

About 15-18 years ago I heard a lot of good music rock/punk-rock oriented groups who was playing guitar music with vocal and teenage lyrics about love, searching yourself and other issues what typical teenager come through. So it was about a mainstream music for teenages, there was a lot of bands who been really well known, a lot young artist, singers. It was like a teenager outlet music, they was sharing their thought and playing in a dad's house garage. Leaders in that type of music was bands like Sum41 or Linkin Park.

But today after a one or two generations, hip-hop is became a teenage mecca, so the lyrics changed, the issues changes. They starting to talk about not girls but pimp-game, not a life/career but money-money-money who is hot who is cool and what not.

But I'm not american, I'm just like everyone else is looking for american culture and tendencies what america is bring to the world. And how you think, do they really teenagers started to choose more hip-hop kind of outlet for their issues, psychology and life over the old-fashion punk/punk-rock mentality which is really think about life in a global scale, more depth in lyrical way and wider range of poetics. Is that really happenning or I'm wrong?

And do you think about this kind of global tendency changed in the minds of younger generation. Is that bood? Is that good? And what do they think about yourself and how they are express themselfs today through acessable art methods, like music, thoughts and so on?

LONG LIVE THE KNOT!

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean I don't hate Sum 41, but they were still viewed as a conformist act by punks at the time when they were popular.  They kinda went more in an emo direction with their later stuff, and focused less on the pop punk thing.  As for Linkin Park that was more of an alt-metal scene kid band.

I have trouble classifying Linkin Park. I think "alternative" is the best I can really do, most of their albums are different from each other. Meteora was nu-metal, Minutes to Midnight was more alt-rock. One More Light was more on the pop side.

Even the guys from Linkin Park itself said they don't like being nailed down into one genre.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Each to their own, in the 60's Elvis, and the classic rock n roll movement was mainstream, in the 70's it was disco, in the 80's everything had a slightly more electronic feel but  rick astley, U2 and fleetwood mac oriented music was mainstream, then in the 90's it became a close call between electronica and grunge/pop, and since 2000 music has been dead so it's not worth talking about. ?, nah seriously since then hip hop and rap has become the mainstream.

Heavy metal, nu-metal, rapmetal and traditional punk have nearly always been alternative/underground/not as popular.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My politically incorrect 2 cents on this topic:

one thing that has been consistent in my observations, over the years, is that pop music is for children, more for little girls, overweight teenage girls, and effeminate boys. Rap music is for retards who want to be gangstas. Rock and metal for kids who reject the rap retards. Electronic for pill poppers. RnB for ethnic minorities who wear women's earings in both ears.

Man this whole post sounds like a bunch of old people. Complaing2 about kids and ther damn loud musc.

Look every ones diffrent Ive personall gone frkm grunge to altenrative to psychelelic now Im currently into stoner and domm metal

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

On 4/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, valdyrgramr said:

80s metal was mainstream, 90s it was grunge, and then rap took over in the 2000s.

If you classify Kiss, ACDC, def leppard as metal, then maybe for a bit in places it waz. But I consider them hard rock.  I put them altogether under the label "good music",  for me metallica,  judas priest, iron maiden, slayer, black sabbath are all metal.  Mainstream to me is anything that is in the top 40.  In the 80's we did not see much of any of these bands in the top 40. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 4/15/2019 at 7:58 PM, LightParticle said:

About 15-18 years ago I heard a lot of good music rock/punk-rock oriented groups who was playing guitar music with vocal and teenage lyrics about love, searching yourself and other issues what typical teenager come through. So it was about a mainstream music for teenages, there was a lot of bands who been really well known, a lot young artist, singers. It was like a teenager outlet music, they was sharing their thought and playing in a dad's house garage. Leaders in that type of music was bands like Sum41 or Linkin Park.

But today after a one or two generations, hip-hop is became a teenage mecca, so the lyrics changed, the issues changes. They starting to talk about not girls but pimp-game, not a life/career but money-money-money who is hot who is cool and what not.

But I'm not american, I'm just like everyone else is looking for american culture and tendencies what america is bring to the world. And how you think, do they really teenagers started to choose more hip-hop kind of outlet for their issues, psychology and life over the old-fashion punk/punk-rock mentality which is really think about life in a global scale, more depth in lyrical way and wider range of poetics. Is that really happenning or I'm wrong?

And do you think about this kind of global tendency changed in the minds of younger generation. Is that bood? Is that good? And what do they think about yourself and how they are express themselfs today through acessable art methods, like music, thoughts and so on?

When i was 14 all i listened to was daft punk and phil collins with a bit of stevie wonder mixed in... still listen to that plus alot of other people, their are lots of teens that listen to old music but are too scared to admit it, my gf's younger brother listens to old music then as soon as his friends are around the weeknd and eminem go straight on lol

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)