Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakkuh_t

The WEIRDEST PC Parts we Found on AliExpress

Posted · Original PosterOP

We tasked a bunch of the team to find weird and unusual PCIe/PCI cards - here is what they found.

widget.png?style=banner2   -  7700K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080 Ti FE, 2*4TB, 512GB 850 Evo

Alex didn't even get to try the Oscilloscope...

I wanted to see that.

If I don't respond, please tag me in your post. I'm probably AFK or responding to someone else. 

I know what sarcasm is... Sometimes.
Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @4.9Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-Sleepo (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 32GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware for JBOD) - 320GB HGST HDD (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS devID passthrough) - 2x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Corsair CX series Power Supplies are fine

Whoever types down the abomination that Linus made gets an imaginary like. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Probably you haven't wandered too far into the weirder side of Aliexpress, where you can find legit laptop GPU (GM107 "GTX 950M") in desktop PCIe form factor or even MXM to PCIe adapter.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

@jakkuh_t 40 GBP and 20 more for shipping for that 7950 GX2? Would you feel bad for spending your boss money if I tell you I got mine for whats around 20 GBP shipped? :D

Don't try to out-weird me Linus. I get stranger things than you for free in my breakfast cereal.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

This is the biggest tech channel on youtube and ppl on it don't know the difference in PCI ports and are fixing GPU by hotgluying it's components on the PCB..

... like i once hotfixed GPU using hotglue mixed with small metal shaving, but still WHAT THE F@#$%

EDIT: and with scotch tape.. and it's working.. i'm done

LOL the PCI oscilloscope... We use those all the time! Labview licenses are $50 one-time for home use or $500/year for the basic version for commercial use or like $5000 for the full version.  

I'm actually very curious to know if Riley's usb to pcie adapter can be used for laptops. My laptop doesn't have a thunderbolt port for a external gpu and I don't have space for a desktop :(

Also, any direct link to that adaptor?

8 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Probably you haven't wandered too far into the weirder side of Aliexpress, where you can find legit laptop GPU (GM107 "GTX 950M") in desktop PCIe form factor or even MXM to PCIe adapter.

Tell me more, I'm intrigued, the first part not the MXM to PCIe. I love mobile for desktop parts for my HTPC, cool and quiet.

Didn't watch this one. The stupid thumbnails finally got to me. Being older, I've been finding it harder to follow LTT out side of Tech Quickie. Why? Because it's gotten super immature. It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, it's that I don't spend my free time watching people act like jackasses (unless I'm actually watching Jackass). It feels like they make videos for the sake of just putting content up. Images are dumb, everyone acts like they are 9 years old. I know LTT gets new viewership, so good for the company.

Haters gonna hate. The episode was fun, it’s rare to see everyone in the same episode together. The assignment was to be ridiculous so don’t complain that it’s ridiculous.

I do, HOWEVER, have to point out that they explicitly said a PCI card wouldn’t work in a PCI-X slot. I’ve done it many times as I’m sure other users here have as well. PCI-X, apart from limitations built in to certain motherboards for certain cards, is fully compatible with PCI cards.

I do feel like I could have picked something stranger though. Been around computers long enough to have seen some very interesting things.

Still, enjoyed the episode. Watching the show daily is something I’ve come to look forward to.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Weirdest expansion bay device would have been much better.

• Reservoir
  • 8-disks in single bay
  • audio controls
  • USB hub
  • any custom thing for docking something into
  • cup holder
  • pencil holder
  • small drawer
  • LCD indicator
  • yeah i'm making some stuff up, although those can pretty much be 3D printed o_o
13 hours ago, Bitter said:

Tell me more, I'm intrigued, the first part not the MXM to PCIe. I love mobile for desktop parts for my HTPC, cool and quiet.

Saw that about a year ago.

It's a brand new, authentic N16P-GT-A2 (GTX 950M) GPU soldered onto a Maxwell reference PCB coupled with legit laptop VBIOS. Uses official unmodified Nvidia laptop driver. It performs similar to a desktop GTX 750 Ti but about 5% faster. Costs $60 USD.

Actually runs hotter than the 750 Ti due to clock increase and unexceptional cooling, based on the reviews.

No longer sold on Aliexpress as of today.

Honestly not a good buy. But very interesting.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 hour ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Saw that about a year ago.

It's a brand new, authentic N16P-GT-A2 (GTX 950M) GPU soldered onto a Maxwell reference PCB coupled with legit laptop VBIOS. Uses official unmodified Nvidia laptop driver. It performs similar to a desktop GTX 750 Ti but about 5% faster. Costs $60 USD.

Actually runs hotter than the 750 Ti due to clock increase and unexceptional cooling, based on the reviews.

No longer sold on Aliexpress as of today.

Honestly not a good buy. But very interesting.

Aw, bummer but thank you.

Just asking because I can imagine causing some damage if wrong: are the usb cables provided for pcie risers just standard male to male usb cables or do they just look like them with slightly different pins?