Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delicieuxz

Notre Dame cathedral burning up, spire collapses due to fire

Posted · Original PosterOP

I didn't expect this today.

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Spire of Notre Dame cathedral collapses due to fire

Here's some footage of Notre Dame burning while the spire is still present.

As the spire fell.

Post-spire footage.

In other news, Ubisoft have released an update for Assassin's Creed Unity.

1161295966_ACUnitycomposite.thumb.jpg.13534ac9a4ad4d0eea096b732bceeefb.jpg

I believe this was confirmed to be due to a construction accident, but still. Holy shit. This cathedral was a Parisian icon.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

Going to hell for laughing at that AC joke.

On a more serious note, there's some conflicting information on whether or not the fire was started deliberately or on accident.

Local dickhead and VHS collector. Voted Most Offensive and Most Idiotic 5 Years in a Row!

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

There are many comments on the articles assuming this was a terrorist attack, but it's super likely that this was an accident. The construction of the building makes it very susceptible to fire. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

We have a live feed on in my office. Horrible. 

It's hard to even imagine the historical and cultural loss. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID0 + 2 x 8TB WD Red's in RAID1 

12 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It's hard to even imagine the historical and cultural loss.

Indeed.  Firefighters are trying to get as much of the artwork out as they can while trying to keep it under control, but the loss will be huge. 

A very sad day ...

I haven't yet seen an official statement of what started the Notre Dame fire, only mentions in news that firefighters have not yet attributed the fire to a specific cause but that it could be due to renovation work.

Reportedly, there have been many attacks on catholic churches in France the past few months.

Notre Dame fire follows months of arson, vandalism & desecration of French Catholic churches

While Notre Dame is undoubtedly the most well-known landmark to be affected, Paris’ second largest church, Saint-Sulpice, briefly burst into flames on March 17, the fire damaging doors and stained glass windows on the building's exterior. Police later reported that the incident had not been an accident.

“The images of flames in Saint Sulpice church this weekend are one more example of the violence committed against Catholics,” said Philippe Gosselin and Annie Genevard of France’s National Assembly, tying the incident into a wider trend of attacks on Catholic places of worship.

February saw a series of such attacks across France. In one incident, a cross of human excrement was smeared on the wall of the Notre Dame des Enfants in Nimes, the vandals also looting the church and spreading consecrated wafers in the garbage.

The same month, the altar at Saint-Alain Cathedral in Lavaur was set on fire, while statues and crosses were smashed throughout the premises. Two teenagers were later arrested in relation to the incident.

In another incident on February 4, a statue of the Virgin Mary was found smashed on the ground at St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Houilles, Yvelines. Just days later, the Eucharist was scattered and the altar cloth soiled at Church of Notre Dame de Dijon.

There's still no official comment on how the fire started, and an investigation has now been launched.

Paris prosecutor launches official investigation into cause of Notre Dame blaze

The Paris prosecutor office has launched a probe into the incident, entrusting it to French judiciary police, which indicates that the investigation is criminal. The city prosecutor has attended the scene of the incident, while firefighters continue to battle fire on the remains of the iconic landmark.

French President Emmanuel Macron and PM Edouard Philippe have also arrived at the scene. The fire has disrupted Macron’s plans to address the nation and unveil a set of measures in response to the Yellow Vest protests.

This article suggests that handing the investigation to the police indicates that criminal motivations are being considered as a possibility.

I live barely 8km away from Notre Dame. I usually don't think much about it. This came out of nowhere..

AMD Ryzen 7 3.8ghz at 1.3V Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB 2800mhz @ 3200mhz CAS 16 + 2*4GB micron ballistics @ 3200mhz cas 16 ;Gigabyte ga-ab350-Gaming 3; cooler master nepton 240M ; CF r9 290x tri x + r9 290 tri x ; CX750M PSU ; SPEC 03 case with 9 120mm fans ; windows 10 64 bit 

As a someone with a professional experience restoring old buildings, this is really a sad day.   I hope they don't do the monument thing  (that would be insulting to those who built it) but build a replica as a tribute instead.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

44 minutes ago, mr moose said:

As a someone with a professional experience restoring old buildings, this is really a sad day.   I hope they don't do the monument thing  (that would be insulting to those who built it) but build a replica as a tribute instead.

Why a replica? The stone towers and the walls are still standing. Macron has already said they will rebuild.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Why a replica? The stone towers and the walls are still standing. Macron has already said they will rebuild.

I was talking if it gets to point it can't be salvaged. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

:c

Judge the product by it's own merits, not by the Company that created it.

A mosque was also set fire to in Jerusalem. They are not showing that on MSM, except RT.

https://www.rt.com/news/456655-al-aqsa-mosque-jerusalem-fire/

Something is wrong with the world right now where places of worship are being shot and burnt. Its happening on every continent if you look you will find news of either a mosque, synagogue, or church being attacked in some way. I find the construction accident story to be too soon to be believed. It was only about two years ago that someone tried to blow up Notre Dame. This is all I have to add to the growing conspiracy theories.

3 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

It has no practical use other than tourist attraction. Poor use of space.

The level of ignorance that oozes from this statement is astonishing.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

6 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

The level of ignorance that oozes from this statement is astonishing.

If everyone cared about every little thing and be sentimental there would be National Prehistoric Caves everywhere to make it a landmark or symbol of evolution. Earth is not that big to keep everything around. Graveyards waste space, all worship places waste space, parks, monuments, museums. There is no use.

I don't require glory, only results.

2 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

If everyone cared about every little thing and be sentimental there would be National Prehistoric Caves everywhere to make it a landmark or symbol of evolution. Earth is not that big to keep everything around. Graveyards waste space, all worship places waste space, parks, monuments. There is no use.

Yes because tourism in France generates pocket change.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

Yes because tourism in France generates pocket change.

Not only France. This public things are maintained by government who wastes money on them rather than improving life conditions or make work places. How much did France pay for cathedral renovation? Too much. How much will it pay now to renew the burned parts. Too much. Waste of space and money.

I don't require glory, only results.

5 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Too much. Waste of space and money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_France

This thing you are talking about - life conditions etc. This applies here. France is the most visited touristic destination of the world. It's annual income from tourism is higher than total GDP of many smaller countries.

People go there to spend their money on food, hotels, travel, infrastructure, precisely to see this "waste of space", among other things. You'd have them put there a Carrefour or what?

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

yeah o_o I wonder why aren't there many old-design-new-methods buildings or projects out there. especially when there's definitely MORE out there

(other than the train of thought of "welp we're starting over again why not make something new", but if the concept must be preserved, surely the tome it resides in is worth preserved in another media?)

what's for sure is there must be 3D models and architectural descriptions and plans of the entire building. It'll be much more descriptive than photos and text

1 hour ago, PrinceNorris said:

all worship places waste space

You are genuinely a very rude and hate filled person to even think this. You don't deserve to be residing on these forums then if you think those things, you're just wasting precious server space.