What do you guys think of this $1.5k build for a friend

I have modified @GoldenLag build with a 2080. where can I slash the price?

Newegg.com Shopping Cart.pdf

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

4 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I have modified @GoldenLag build with a 2080. where can I slash the price?

Newegg.com Shopping Cart.pdf

Start by using the Ram i plugged and the actual parts i picked i guess.

Including the PSU. 

That PSU in the list you provided is not something you should buy.

Also the Ram in there is only 2400mhz

So id start with plugging in the parts i provided. Then i can suggest some savings.

Here, this build will be the best. I even fit in an RTX 2080 for less. The 9400F will completely beat the 2600/2600x across the board even when the 2600/2600x are OCed. As previously stated, have Newegg price match this. These are all competitors that they price match against:

This screen shot demonstrates what I'm talking about. Note this is the 8400 because no professional sites reviewed the 9400F, but the 9400F is the same chip with a +100MHz clock speed, so it's even faster than what you see below.

benches.png

10 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Here, this build will be the best. I even fit in an RTX 2080 for less. The 9400F will completely beat the 2600/2600x across the board even when the 2600/2600x are OCed. As previously stated, have Newegg price match this. These are all competitors that they price match against:

This screen shot demonstrates what I'm talking about. Note this is the 8400 because no professional sites reviewed the 9400F, but the 9400F is the same chip with a +100MHz clock speed, so it's even faster than what you see below.

benches.png

Hardware unboxed has done benchmarks. The 2600x provides better 0,1% lows and keep up with framerates. 

The lack of SMT/HT and overall worse plattform puts the 2600x as a better choice. That is not counting the 2600 aswell. 

The 9400f is 2% faster than the 8400 it replaces. 

Also pick up a cooler as the stock cooler is apperantly rather loud. 

Also swap PSU as the seasonic Focus line has lacking power protections.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($80.30 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($78.69 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.88 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($706.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.85 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1291.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-15 15:16 EDT-0400

More actual value oriented build. Instead of the silver style i was going for before.

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Hardware unboxed has done benchmarks. The 2600x provides better 0,1% lows and keep up with framerates. 

The lack of SMT/HT and overall worse plattform puts the 2600x as a better choice. That is not counting the 2600 aswell. 

The 9400f is 2% faster than the 8400 it replaces. 

Also pick up a cooler as the stock cooler is apperantly rather loud. 

Also swap PSU as the seasonic Focus line has lacking power protections.

The 0.1% lows vary game to game. In some games the 2600x pulls ahead, but by no means a majority.

Bear in mind that multithreading is just a performance boost of 30% at absolute best in real world scenarios. It's still a 6 core chip and the extra threads allow each core to execute more calculations during the "down time" the core would normally have in between calculations. The 9400F can still be upgraded to a 9700K or 9900K which will both be solid for many years. We also don't know if the next Intel chip will be supported on Z390. It may be (there are rumors around) but take that with a mountain of salt.

The 9400F performs a little better than 2% on average as seen in some comparison videos.

At the end of the day it beats the 2600x across the board and even in games that make use of more threads like Assassin's Creed Origins

The Seasonic Focus PLUS Gold is a tier A PSU that's on a major sale right now, per the tier list.

"Tier A (Mid-Range)  

SeaSonic - Focus Plus Platinum, Platinum (xp/xp2/xp3), Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold, X, Snow Silent, non-PRIME Fanless "

It's better than the CXm which is tier B:

"Tier B (Budget)

Corsair - Vengeance, CX* (2017), CXM* (2015),  CXM (2012)*=>750w "

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

We also don't know if the next Intel chip will be supported on Z390. It may be (there are rumors around) but take that with a mountain of salt.

Which is also another refresh with from what we know a 10 core 9900k. 

2 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

The Seasonic Focus PLUS Gold is a tier A PSU that's on a major sale right now, per the tier list

And it has power protection issues, hence it should not be bought as such info has now emerged. And of its the older focus PSU it also has power protection issues with it tripping with cards like the 2080, 2080ti, vega 64 and Radeon 7. It has power protection issues, do not recommend such PSUs. 

4 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

The 9400F performs a little better than 2% on average as seen in some comparison videos.

Its on paper 2% faster than the 8400. 

5 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Bear in mind that multithreading is just a performance boost of 30% at absolute best in real world scenarios

And its the exact thing that has kept older 2nd to 7th gen CPUs up to speed. Non-HT CPUs are suffering significantly more than their HT counterparts. Especially in the 0,1% lows, which is arguably the more important metric when it comes to smooth gameplay.

7 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It's still a 6 core chip and the extra threads allow each core to execute more calculations during the "down time" the core would normally have in between calculations.

Its a 6 core 6 thread. HT has shown to be valuable when it comes to the longevity of CPUs in games. One day the 6 cores will be the old 4 cores. 

16 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It's better than the CXm which is tier B:

"Tier B (Budget)

Corsair - Vengeance, CX* (2017), CXM* (2015),  CXM (2012)*=>750w "

They have the neccesary protections. Also your pricing includes rebates......

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

And it has power protection issues, hence it should not be bought as such info has now emerged. And of its the older focus PSU it also has power protection issues with it tripping with cards like the 2080, 2080ti, vega 64 and Radeon 7. It has power protection issues, do not recommend such PSUs. 

@LukeSavenije, any input on this?

Its on paper 2% faster than the 8400. 

I do understand that, believe me, but somehow in real world performance it surpasses that (not in all games, but in a handful). See here where the 9400F beats the 8400 by beyond that margin in Project Cars 2 (5%), Witcher 3 (3%), GTA V(3%), and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (5%):

Its a 6 core 6 thread. HT has shown to be valuable when it comes to the longevity of CPUs in games. One day the 6 cores will be the old 4 cores. 

I agree that there is value in multithreading. However it doesn't seem to be an advantage here. Assassin's Creed Origins uses 12 threads and yet the 9400F still wins while utilizing only 6 threads. That seems like a marker for future performance even where 12 threads are used. It's the same story in Far Cry 5 where 8 threads are used. The 2600x has the thread advantage, yet the 9400F wins.

Especially in the 0,1% lows, which is arguably the more important metric when it comes to smooth gameplay.

Agreed 100%. Again, though, the 9400F does pull out an even number of 0.1% wins, so it's really a tossup in that metric.

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

LukeSavenije, any input on this?

@GoldenLag is right here, the psu has been "fixed" in January, but it went from being oversensetive to never let the ocp come in. if there's anything else available, i would do it

imo only the prime goes without problems currently, seasonic has some problems...

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

@GoldenLag is right here, the psu has been "fixed" in January, but it went from being oversensetive to never let the ocp come in. if there's anything else available, i would do it

imo only the prime goes without problems currently, seasonic has some problems...

Ah, interesting! Should that be bumped down the tier list then? The current list still has it at tier A above the CXm.

LukeSavenije, any input on this?

He is the specific person i received the info from. The pre-fix was too sensetive and the post fix are too numb

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Agreed 100%. Again, though, the 9400F does pull out an even number of 0.1% wins, so it's really a tossup in that metric.

In some titles that is the case. Tho i will again point to older core i5 quadcores. The old argument of future proofing back then was annoying, but it has had some merrit

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Assassin's Creed Origins uses 12 threads and yet the 9400F still wins.

Assasins creed is one of those oddballs i can not get a pattern to emerge. Tho if you play a lot of AC, go with the 9400f for now. 

do understand that, believe me, but somehow in real world performance it surpasses that (not in all games, but in a handful). See here where the 9400F beats the 8400 by beyond that margin in Project Cars 2 (5%), Witcher 3 (3%), GTA V(3%), and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (5%):

Neat, good to see some improvement beyond the theoretical.

I will stand by the 2600x. As all things included. Its just a better option. The 9400f is closr, but no sigar. 

Ah, interesting! Should that be bumped down the tier list then? The current list still has it at tier A above the CXm.

it's fine there, the problem only really occured with the strix 970, 2080 ti, vega 64 and maybe some 1080 ti's. 

otherwise the focus would be in tier a+

and btw, i wouldn't do a cxm and 2080, from my personal experience i can say it can start whining with a 1070+

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's fine there, the problem only really occured with the strix 970, 2080 ti, vega 64 and maybe some 1080 ti's. 

otherwise the focus would be in tier a+

and btw, i wouldn't do a cxm and 2080, from my personal experience i can say it can start whining with a 1070+

Ohh, very interesting.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I will stand by the 2600x. As all things included. Its just a better option. The 9400f is closr, but no sigar.  

We'll just have to agree to disagree there then :) Either way, though, both chips are great and by no means would he be getting a bad chip.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Assasins creed is one of those oddballs i can not get a pattern to emerge. Tho if you play a lot of AC, go with the 9400f for now. 

Any insight into Far Cry 5 then? Again the 2600x has the thread advantage since the game uses 8 threads, yet the 9400F still beats it. I should point out that both of these are Ubisoft games. I wonder what they're doing under the hood.

6 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Ohh, very interesting.

cx 2017 doesn't have the issue anymore, it's because the cxm was a double forward

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

You could wait for the new Ryzen 3rd gens to come out.

Yep, that's true too. Ryzen 3000 might change the landscape as we know it completely.

Any insight into Far Cry 5 then? Again the 2600x has the thread advantage since the game uses 8 threads, yet the 9400F still beats it.

last time i checked that was fine. wouldnt be too surprising to see it pull ahead. 

I should point out that both of these are Ubisoft games. I wonder what they're doing under the hood.

well they somehow made the 2200G 40% worse than the r3 1200 due to lack of cache. 

so apperantly not something good. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

well they somehow made the 2200G 40% worse than the r3 1200 due to lack of cache. 

Hahaha, that is very true!

Hahaha, that is very true!

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

last time i checked that was fine. wouldnt be too surprising to see it pull ahead. 

But the 2200G has pretty decent integrated graphics whereas the 1200 doesn't ?