MSI GP73 8RF - noise?

The laptop makes an infrequent noise which resembles somewhat spoon hitting the bottle. It is high pitched but not that loud (although noticeable).

I was wondering if this could be an issue, as well if anyone has experienced something similar? Otherwise, if this appears to be a mystery, I will try to record a video.

To clarify, this mostly happens on startup. From my limited understanding, this is not fan related as when I put the fans to the maximum I cannot hear it; also, when the noise happens the fans appear to be running undisrupted.

My other concern was that this is a coil whine but from watching one video there is some difference - on the video the sound was constant and lower pitched/less audible.

17 minutes ago, NeedALaptop said:

I will try to record a video

This

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, NeedALaptop said:

https://streamable.com/r02e2

It appears more noticeable than on video. Still difficult to describe but sounds like "TRAAta".

That sounds kinda like HDD waking up, do you have a harddrive in your laptop?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

9 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That sounds kinda like HDD waking up, do you have a harddrive in your laptop?

Hello. Yes. However, it also makes a sound during use. In addition, I am using SSD as the primary

23 minutes ago, NeedALaptop said:

Hello. Yes. However, it also makes a sound during use. In addition, I am using SSD as the primary

Well HDD makes atleast 2 noises, one is the constant spinning of the disk, the other is the drive head moving.

I would say the noise is definitely made by the drive, here is why:

*You are using the SSD as primary, that means that the HDD remains inactive most of the time, so head is parked, and the drive even probably stops spinning.

*But in the rare cases the HDD is used, then the drive wakes up and the head makes the calibrating sound, causing that weird noise once in a while

*"it happens on startup"

*Your sound recording sounded like a hdd noise

*"infrequent noise which resembles somewhat spoon hitting the bottle"

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well HDD makes atleast 2 noises, one is the constant spinning of the disk, the other is the drive head moving.

I would say the noise is definitely made by the drive, here is why:

*You are using the SSD as primary, that means that the HDD remains inactive most of the time, so head is parked, and the drive even probably stops spinning.

*But in the rare cases the HDD is used, then the drive wakes up and the head makes the calibrating sound, causing that weird noise once in a while

*"it happens on startup"

*Your sound recording sounded like a hdd noise

*"infrequent noise which resembles somewhat spoon hitting the bottle"

Thank you for your very detailed reply. You were right! The noise appears when the drive is being used (benchmark):

https://streamable.com/fbq7o

However, is this a normal behaviour or a fault? During the test the noise is constant and I didn't experience it on an old laptop.

1 minute ago, NeedALaptop said:

Thank you for your very detailed reply. You were right! The noise appears when the drive is being used (benchmark):

https://streamable.com/fbq7o

However, is this a normal behaviour or a fault? During the test the noise is constant and I didn't experience it on an old laptop.

Normal, because that is a 2.5inch HDD, which is probably 5400rpm. Atleast in the video it sounds very quiet.

I have a 8TB server HDD in my computer, you should hear the noise it makes.

38 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Normal, because that is a 2.5inch HDD, which is probably 5400rpm. Atleast in the video it sounds very quiet.

I have a 8TB server HDD in my computer, you should hear the noise it makes.

I see your point. To add, it does sound more audible in person, as well as being constant during tests. My worry is that I didn't experience it on previous laptops, so it's difficult to understand why it happened only on this.

HDD is advertised as 7200.

Just now, NeedALaptop said:

HDD is advertised as 7200.

Then there is your answer.

Typically 2.5inch HDD's are 5400rpm, so your new drive is much faster, making more noise. 7200rpm 2.5inch hdd's are pretty new things.

21 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Then there is your answer.

Typically 2.5inch HDD's are 5400rpm, so your new drive is much faster, making more noise. 7200rpm 2.5inch hdd's are pretty new things.

Thanks. It also resembles this:

I have still contacted the seller for clarification. Hopefully that this is normal! Thank you.

I have made further videos:

https://streamable.com/tppn1

https://streamable.com/hynpv

Compared to my old laptop, it does make some noise but much quieter, so not sure if this is because new HDD is 7200. Still failing to understand why would it make this noise even if it's not getting used.

Waiting on reply from seller. Will update.

Also experiences 2000ms response but during testing only with big files, not sure if it's supposed to behave like this.