Maximizing wifi bridge connection speeds...

Gerr

I recently started working from home, which includes many VoIP calls on my office PC.  At some point I'll run a cable to my office, but for now, I am using wifi.  To maximize my speed, I bought a 2nd AC1300 router which I have hooked into my primary network and that connects to an AC1300 wireless bridge in my office.  This way, my office devices think they are wired connections.  No other device is using this new router's 5G connection, so the bridge is the only 5G connection.  However, I am using the new router's 2.4G connection on a few devices(tablets) as it reaches my office/bedroom better than my current wifi.

My question is does using this 2nd router's 2.4G connection take bandwidth away from its 5G conneciton or reduce its speed in any way?

Also, I know that using this 2nd router in router mode means I am double-NAT'ing.  I like the extra security that gives, but how much speed am I giving up for that?  I could switch it to just be an AP, though I would prefer to keep my office network separate from my home network if possible.

11 hours ago, Gerr said:

My question is does using this 2nd router's 2.4G connection take bandwidth away from its 5G conneciton or reduce its speed in any way?

Only if you begin saturating you WAN or a dst port. But thats unlikely. 

11 hours ago, Gerr said:

Also, I know that using this 2nd router in router mode means I am double-NAT'ing.  I like the extra security that gives, but how much speed am I giving up for that? 

NAT is not security. It has security like side effects but its not security. NAT causes problems on its on but causes more problems when double NAT'd. 

11 hours ago, Gerr said:

I could switch it to just be an AP, though I would prefer to keep my office network separate from my home network if possible.

You are better off switching to AP and creating a second DHCP pool and gateway off the 5G. Hell turn on guest mode on 5G and let it take care of it for you. It will keep the networks separated enough.  If you really want separation you will need another router and VLAN/ACLs.