MSI will support ZEN2 on 300 series motherboards, models to come in the future

Bouzoo
1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Because apparently I misunderstood you as you meaning "there is no reason to believe they will support Zen2". Misunderstanding you is apparently my thing. 

Cool,  yes I meant only that it wouldn't surprise me if their was a few features that aren't supported (for unavoidable reasons) as opposed to the whole thing not being supported.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

This is kind of infuriating. The launch of a new line of processors from AMD has meant a new line of motherboards. Previous motherboards are given bios updates to allow older motherboards compatibility with next-gen processors (provided they are compatible with the socket type, of course.) The refusal to release a new line of motherboards is one thing, but an outright refusal to allow ryzen users to upgrade is another. MSI has no right to screw their buyers over like that. If this email is true, my opinion of MSI as a company will drop severely.

My bet is on this email being wrong or misinterpreted somewhere.  It will really surprise me if you can't get ZEN2 running on the 350's at least.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

They said the same for Zen+ support and yet Ryzen 2600X works exactly the same on X370 as it does on X470. Absolutely no measurable difference.

Ok, reading between the lines. There is a fundamental difference between 1000/2000 vs 3000 though. X470 does have few more bells and whistles that x370 doesn't have, like higher memory bandwidth or iirc m.2 gets dedicated x4 memory lane straight to the cpu. Zen2 is a completely differenty story compared to "optimized" Zen+. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

well Im getting a b450 tomahawk, so...

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

I hope this is false cause I was planning on doing a "cheap" CPU only upgrade once Zen 2 dropped, having to buy another mobo would seriously deter me from upgrading.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

They said the same for Zen+ support and yet Ryzen 2600X works exactly the same on X370 as it does on X470. Absolutely no measurable difference.

So you are saying StoreMI works on X370?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

6 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Who even uses that thing? That thing is unnecessarily locked down just to sell new platform. And it's pretty bad unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Actually it does but it costs money.

If its true it's certainly not a power issue since zen2 based processors are supposed to have the exact same TDP as zen 1 segments. Maybe they will overclock more and therefore pushing a bit more when overclocked a lot, but that's it

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Who even uses that thing? That thing is unnecessarily locked down just to sell new platform. And it's pretty bad unfortunately.

its unlocked enough for most people's use

12 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Ok, reading between the lines. There is a fundamental difference between 1000/2000 vs 3000 though. X470 does have few more bells and whistles that x370 doesn't have, like higher memory bandwidth or iirc m.2 gets dedicated x4 memory lane straight to the cpu. Zen2 is a completely differenty story compared to "optimized" Zen+. 

the dedicated m.2 slot was always there, if they endup not supporting b350 it would be for the vrm's safety

13 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, AMD a while ago confirmed that AM4 on 300 series will work with Zen2, hence why everyone expects it. I don't see a reason why even cheaper MBOs might not support it. Unless OEM drops support so no BIOS update or something like that. On architectural level they should have the same basic features to support Zen2 all around. 

Exactly!

The only Reason is that the Manufacturer doesn't want to support "old shit". Or saved too much on the Original BIOS.

BUT: Its also possible to remove parts of the BIOS - the Bulldozer Compatibility for example - and instead feature Ryzen 3000 Support.

Its not entirely impossible - if they wanted to!

But they don't seem to want to for whatever reason.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, Redrooster said:

well Im getting a b450 tomahawk, so...

You might want to rethink that and look for a different Board that comes from a Manufacturer that still supports their 300 Stuff with Ryzen 3000 BIOS.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Probably may not be the case in the end, would be lame. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

My bet is on this email being wrong or misinterpreted somewhere.  It will really surprise me if you can't get ZEN2 running on the 350's at least.

I hope so

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You might want to rethink that and look for a different Board that comes from a Manufacturer that still supports their 300 Stuff with Ryzen 3000 BIOS.

You have a point for future support on newer cpu's

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

2019-04-17.jpg

I just saw this on my ipad, didn't have time to read it though.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

On 4/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, xandredu said:

B350 - I don't remember MSI being that good and actually having issues with some of their boards although I can't recall which right now.

MSi b350 boards were notorious for awful memory support.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Really? I did 2 Tomahawk builds on r5 1600, 3000 MHz ram ran like charm even with manual timings. What was bad with them? 

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

There we go. I knew it was something.

Thanks for clarifying.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

28 minutes ago, xandredu said:

There we go. I knew it was something.

Thanks for clarifying.

Oh yes I remember when ryzen launched here at the forum it was a festival of memory related issues on their boards.

Stuff like the tomahawk needed several bios updates to get memory running above 2667mhz and even then 2933mhz was still usually the cap.

Nowadays it's mostly fine and most memory limitations Zen had were much improved on Zen+ 

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't think AMD would allow this. The forwards compatibility is one of the selling points of AM4..

Or am I overestimating the control AMD has over this?

On 4/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, Bouzoo said:

That's my take, and as someone who worked in CS, spot on. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, ThePD said:

Could just be the customer service rep doesn't know or isn't allowed to talk about it. There have been plenty of instances where customer service reps don't really understand the product they are working with.

True, but in that case, the customer rep should say: "support for zen 2 on 300 series boards is not yet known at this time". Although it wouldn't surprise me if the customer service rep doesn't give a shit and just said something to say something.

Not to be mean, but I think the average customer service rep is not exactly the most overachieving person.. they'd rather give you a wrong answer to get rid of you, rather than ask a manager or actually look it up and get back to you. Sometimes when you call a customer service dept 3 times for the same issue, you get 3 different answers.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

I don't think AMD would allow this. The forwards compatibility is one of the selling points of AM4..

Or am I overestimating the control AMD has over this?

MSI confirmed this was indeed a mistake from the cs employee. 

On 4/15/2019 at 11:42 PM, Quadriplegic said:

Technically, yes.

Just not out of the box, you have to pay for the program on your own.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, RejZoR said:

StoreMI is just AMD licensing out and skinning another company's storage caching solution with a custom 1 disk license. We probably didn't see it with X370 because AMD couldn't afford to offer it then.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.