Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bouzoo

MSI will support ZEN2 on 300 series motherboards, models to come in the future

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Because apparently I misunderstood you as you meaning "there is no reason to believe they will support Zen2". Misunderstanding you is apparently my thing. 

Cool,  yes I meant only that it wouldn't surprise me if their was a few features that aren't supported (for unavoidable reasons) as opposed to the whole thing not being supported.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

13 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

This is kind of infuriating. The launch of a new line of processors from AMD has meant a new line of motherboards. Previous motherboards are given bios updates to allow older motherboards compatibility with next-gen processors (provided they are compatible with the socket type, of course.) The refusal to release a new line of motherboards is one thing, but an outright refusal to allow ryzen users to upgrade is another. MSI has no right to screw their buyers over like that. If this email is true, my opinion of MSI as a company will drop severely.

My bet is on this email being wrong or misinterpreted somewhere.  It will really surprise me if you can't get ZEN2 running on the 350's at least.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

They said the same for Zen+ support and yet Ryzen 2600X works exactly the same on X370 as it does on X470. Absolutely no measurable difference.

Ok, reading between the lines. There is a fundamental difference between 1000/2000 vs 3000 though. X470 does have few more bells and whistles that x370 doesn't have, like higher memory bandwidth or iirc m.2 gets dedicated x4 memory lane straight to the cpu. Zen2 is a completely differenty story compared to "optimized" Zen+. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

well Im getting a b450 tomahawk, so...

My Current Rig

(((Currently in between builds)))

If part is listed as (NEW) it means that i recently bought it and it will be incorporated in my next build.

CPUI5-3550

GPUZotac RTX 2060 (NEW)

RAM16gb 2x8 DDR3 1600mHz

STORAGE500gb HDD, 2tb USB 3.0 Drive

PSU650w Corsair CX (NEW)

CASESome shite case from Goodwill that makes my cpu run at 82°c constantly when gaming.

The Rig That I'm Working Towards.

This Should Be Complete By Fall 2019.

CPU: (Either) R5 2600x or Zen2

GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB 3000mHz Corsair Veng.

STORAGE: 1TB sata SSD (prob. 860 evo)

120GB sata Boot Drive (for Windows 10 and non video games)

PSU: 650w Corsair CX

CASE: NZXT H500i

I hope this is false cause I was planning on doing a "cheap" CPU only upgrade once Zen 2 dropped, having to buy another mobo would seriously deter me from upgrading.

Spoiler

PC Specs: RTX 2080 XC, R5 1600, 16GB DDR4 2933MHz

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

They said the same for Zen+ support and yet Ryzen 2600X works exactly the same on X370 as it does on X470. Absolutely no measurable difference.

So you are saying StoreMI works on X370?

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

6 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Who even uses that thing? That thing is unnecessarily locked down just to sell new platform. And it's pretty bad unfortunately.

If its true it's certainly not a power issue since zen2 based processors are supposed to have the exact same TDP as zen 1 segments. Maybe they will overclock more and therefore pushing a bit more when overclocked a lot, but that's it

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Who even uses that thing? That thing is unnecessarily locked down just to sell new platform. And it's pretty bad unfortunately.

its unlocked enough for most people's use

12 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Ok, reading between the lines. There is a fundamental difference between 1000/2000 vs 3000 though. X470 does have few more bells and whistles that x370 doesn't have, like higher memory bandwidth or iirc m.2 gets dedicated x4 memory lane straight to the cpu. Zen2 is a completely differenty story compared to "optimized" Zen+. 

the dedicated m.2 slot was always there, if they endup not supporting b350 it would be for the vrm's safety

13 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, AMD a while ago confirmed that AM4 on 300 series will work with Zen2, hence why everyone expects it. I don't see a reason why even cheaper MBOs might not support it. Unless OEM drops support so no BIOS update or something like that. On architectural level they should have the same basic features to support Zen2 all around. 

Exactly!

The only Reason is that the Manufacturer doesn't want to support "old shit". Or saved too much on the Original BIOS.

BUT: Its also possible to remove parts of the BIOS - the Bulldozer Compatibility for example - and instead feature Ryzen 3000 Support.

Its not entirely impossible - if they wanted to!

But they don't seem to want to for whatever reason.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, Redrooster said:

well Im getting a b450 tomahawk, so...

You might want to rethink that and look for a different Board that comes from a Manufacturer that still supports their 300 Stuff with Ryzen 3000 BIOS.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

My bet is on this email being wrong or misinterpreted somewhere.  It will really surprise me if you can't get ZEN2 running on the 350's at least.

I hope so

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You might want to rethink that and look for a different Board that comes from a Manufacturer that still supports their 300 Stuff with Ryzen 3000 BIOS.

You have a point for future support on newer cpu's

My Current Rig

(((Currently in between builds)))

If part is listed as (NEW) it means that i recently bought it and it will be incorporated in my next build.

CPUI5-3550

GPUZotac RTX 2060 (NEW)

RAM16gb 2x8 DDR3 1600mHz

STORAGE500gb HDD, 2tb USB 3.0 Drive

PSU650w Corsair CX (NEW)

CASESome shite case from Goodwill that makes my cpu run at 82°c constantly when gaming.

The Rig That I'm Working Towards.

This Should Be Complete By Fall 2019.

CPU: (Either) R5 2600x or Zen2

GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB 3000mHz Corsair Veng.

STORAGE: 1TB sata SSD (prob. 860 evo)

120GB sata Boot Drive (for Windows 10 and non video games)

PSU: 650w Corsair CX

CASE: NZXT H500i

On 4/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, xandredu said:

B350 - I don't remember MSI being that good and actually having issues with some of their boards although I can't recall which right now.

MSi b350 boards were notorious for awful memory support.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
15 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Really? I did 2 Tomahawk builds on r5 1600, 3000 MHz ram ran like charm even with manual timings. What was bad with them? 

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

There we go. I knew it was something.

Thanks for clarifying.

Gaming/Main build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Ryzen build - CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X @ 4.0 GHz - 1.23v | Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | GPU: Asus DUAL GTX 1060 O6GB | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650X 80+ Gold | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

28 minutes ago, xandredu said:

There we go. I knew it was something.

Thanks for clarifying.

Oh yes I remember when ryzen launched here at the forum it was a festival of memory related issues on their boards.

Stuff like the tomahawk needed several bios updates to get memory running above 2667mhz and even then 2933mhz was still usually the cap.

Nowadays it's mostly fine and most memory limitations Zen had were much improved on Zen+ 

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

I don't think AMD would allow this. The forwards compatibility is one of the selling points of AM4..

Or am I overestimating the control AMD has over this?

Best Gaming Podcasts on the internet! Check out Orange Lounge Radio Live on Twitch;  Sunday nights at 6PM ET / 9PM PT:

https://www.twitch.tv/vognetwork

On 4/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, Bouzoo said:

That's my take, and as someone who worked in CS, spot on. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, ThePD said:

Could just be the customer service rep doesn't know or isn't allowed to talk about it. There have been plenty of instances where customer service reps don't really understand the product they are working with.

True, but in that case, the customer rep should say: "support for zen 2 on 300 series boards is not yet known at this time". Although it wouldn't surprise me if the customer service rep doesn't give a shit and just said something to say something.

Not to be mean, but I think the average customer service rep is not exactly the most overachieving person.. they'd rather give you a wrong answer to get rid of you, rather than ask a manager or actually look it up and get back to you. Sometimes when you call a customer service dept 3 times for the same issue, you get 3 different answers.

Best Gaming Podcasts on the internet! Check out Orange Lounge Radio Live on Twitch;  Sunday nights at 6PM ET / 9PM PT:

https://www.twitch.tv/vognetwork

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

I don't think AMD would allow this. The forwards compatibility is one of the selling points of AM4..

Or am I overestimating the control AMD has over this?

MSI confirmed this was indeed a mistake from the cs employee. 

On 4/15/2019 at 11:42 PM, Quadriplegic said:

Technically, yes.

Just not out of the box, you have to pay for the program on your own.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, RejZoR said:

StoreMI is just AMD licensing out and skinning another company's storage caching solution with a custom 1 disk license. We probably didn't see it with X370 because AMD couldn't afford to offer it then.

Seagull eat fish. But fish belong to Mafia. Mafia punch seagull for not respecting Mafia. Seagull say "No, please! I have child!"

Mafia punch seagull with child.

Pyo.