headphones dac setup help

Oskar Mcfarlane

200 $ budget. but should i go for a schiits modi 3 dac and will my Logitech Z623 2.1 go through the dac so i can use headphones in the speaker out. or is there a better solution witha dac amp setup.

headphones are akg k7xx

all I m gonna say is a dac is used in conjunction with an amp a dac will only output a set signal and wont get any louder and it usually never does. You want a dac/amp or a dac and an amp. a good one right now for less than $200 is the topping DX3 tii has a line out so you can plug your speakers into it and it also has a jack at the fron so you can plug you headphones into it at the same time. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

On 4/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, rice guru said:

all I m gonna say is a dac is used in conjunction with an amp a dac will only output a set signal and wont get any louder and it usually never does. You want a dac/amp or a dac and an amp. a good one right now for less than $200 is the topping DX3 tii has a line out so you can plug your speakers into it and it also has a jack at the fron so you can plug you headphones into it at the same time. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

Gonna have to agree with you here. You really need both an amp and a DAC for this to work properly. The Topping is an option. I price range is fixed. Personally, I am quite fond of Schitt products, so I'd say hold out until you can save up a little more and afford both the Schiit Magni and the Modi, but its up to you. 

Edited by i7-6969X
Edit, glanced over the logitech model too quickly, thought it was a headset, please disregard my suggestion for an amp

4 hours ago, i7-6969X said:

Gonna have to agree with you here. You really need both an amp and a DAC for this to work properly. The Topping is an option. I price range is fixed. Personally, I am quite fond of Schitt products, so I'd say hold out until you can save up a little more and afford both the Schiit Magni and the Modi, but its up to you. 

schiit modi is fine but the magni is a little outdated nowadays by offerings by  monoprice and JDS labs. monopriceliquid spark  is a cleaner less powerful better built amp while the jds labs atom is the cleanest best measured amp ever made for a $100