Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NintendoNoNo

New PC builder, need help figuring out how to install my fans to my motherboard

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to building PCs (and brand new to this forum) so go easy on me and forgive me for the basic questions I need help with!

  1. The case I bought (Matrexx 55 Add RGB) came with a few fans that each have their own cables. My mobo, an MSI X470 Gaming Plus, has four fan headers. I originally thought these were compatible with one another, but after reading up on it some more, I read something about how these fans are 5V and I'm not sure if my mobo is only 12V. I am so confused by what this even means. I need to know if I can use these fans on the case and, if so, how. Also, I need to know how to plug the RGB in. There is absolutely no instructions in the manual and the instructions in the YouTube video are pretty useless.

  2. My motherboard has two headers for CPU power, an 8 pin (CPU_PWR1) and a 4 pin (CPU_PWR2). Do I need to plug the PSU into both of them, or just the CPU_PWR1? I am using a Ryzen 5 2600X with an rx 570 GPU.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I'm really sorry for these newbie questions :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NintendoNoNo said:

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to building PCs (and brand new to this forum) so go easy on me and forgive me for the basic questions I need help with!

  1. The case I bought (Matrexx 55 Add RGB) came with a few fans that each have their own cables. My mobo, an MSI X470 Gaming Plus, has four fan headers. I originally thought these were compatible with one another, but after reading up on it some more, I read something about how these fans are 5V and I'm not sure if my mobo is only 12V. I am so confused by what this even means. I need to know if I can use these fans on the case and, if so, how. Also, I need to know how to plug the RGB in. There is absolutely no instructions in the manual and the instructions in the YouTube video are pretty useless.

  2. My motherboard has two headers for CPU power, an 8 pin (CPU_PWR1) and a 4 pin (CPU_PWR2). Do I need to plug the PSU into both of them, or just the CPU_PWR1? I am using a Ryzen 5 2600X with an rx 570 GPU.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I'm really sorry for these newbie questions :)

Both my friend..  It really doesnt matter if you put it on CPU 4pin or chassis 4pin,, same sh*T so don't stress no worries.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4505 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1911 @ 9CL & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 4.50BT SE / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NintendoNoNo said:

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to building PCs (and brand new to this forum) so go easy on me and forgive me for the basic questions I need help with!

  1. The case I bought (Matrexx 55 Add RGB) came with a few fans that each have their own cables. My mobo, an MSI X470 Gaming Plus, has four fan headers. I originally thought these were compatible with one another, but after reading up on it some more, I read something about how these fans are 5V and I'm not sure if my mobo is only 12V. I am so confused by what this even means. I need to know if I can use these fans on the case and, if so, how. Also, I need to know how to plug the RGB in. There is absolutely no instructions in the manual and the instructions in the YouTube video are pretty useless.

  2. My motherboard has two headers for CPU power, an 8 pin (CPU_PWR1) and a 4 pin (CPU_PWR2). Do I need to plug the PSU into both of them, or just the CPU_PWR1? I am using a Ryzen 5 2600X with an rx 570 GPU.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I'm really sorry for these newbie questions :)

Just the 8 pin connector for CPU will do. 


MoBo: MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon ACCPU: Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | Cooler: NZXT  Kraken X52  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSDPSU: RM550x (2018) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C white |  Mouse: Logitech G pro Wireless | MonitorGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NintendoNoNo said:
  1. The case I bought (Matrexx 55 Add RGB) came with a few fans that each have their own cables. My mobo, an MSI X470 Gaming Plus, has four fan headers. I originally thought these were compatible with one another, but after reading up on it some more, I read something about how these fans are 5V and I'm not sure if my mobo is only 12V. I am so confused by what this even means. I need to know if I can use these fans on the case and, if so, how. Also, I need to know how to plug the RGB in. There is absolutely no instructions in the manual and the instructions in the YouTube video are pretty useless.

Your case uses the 5V RGB standard known as Addressible RGB, or ARGB, which uses a 3 pin connector.

image.png.4bb8c63743ba106a071f38060652e12b.png

 

Your motherboard uses the 12v Standard RGB which is a 4 pin header. You cannot plug the aRGB plug into the RGB header on your motherboard; thye will not work together. 

 

Note that these plugs are SEPERATE from the fan header that directly power the fans themselves. The above plugs are ONLY for the lighting of the fans/case.


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Note that these plugs are SEPERATE from the fan header that directly power the fans themselves. The above plugs are ONLY for the lighting of the fans/case.

I was talking to some people on the /r/buildapc discord last night and I think we figured something out, although I still want to make sure my motherboard isn't going to be fried when I plug everything in. I joined the conversation right after another guy had asked the exact same question I had and I went through and tried to follow everything they had said in the conversation as it seemed to work for him.

 

However, I want to make sure I understand it and I'm not going to fry my motherboard when I try to connect it. I think I need to plug the three fans directly into the mobo, into the individual SYS_FANX headers, where the X is just a number. Then, I need to plug the aRGB leads into this one cord that connects all the aRGB to an RGB controller in the front panel. This cord is labeled "MAIN". Finally, I take the molex connector from the RGB controller and plug that directly into the power supply. This way, I'm not plugging in a 5V aRGB connector to my mobo and instead plugging them all in simultaneously directly to the power supply. The RGB will then be controlled by the case itself instead of software the motherboard uses. Does this sound correct? Below is the diagram that the incredibly helpful people on Discord made for me.

 

wiring diagram.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NintendoNoNo said:

However, I want to make sure I understand it and I'm not going to fry my motherboard when I try to connect it.

-snip-

That looks correct to me!


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×