Planning stage of upgrading my PC

Leetee

My Current PC is using an i5-4590 w/ H97M MoBo and an R9 380 graphics card, and I'm thinking about upgrading my PC. Windows 7 support is ending soon and since the new expansion for Final Fantasy XIV is coming out late June, I want to do everything now. I want to upgrade my CPU and GPU. Part of the upgrades now are so that I can get great performance and not have to think about upgrading for awhile. The stuff I have now lasted me 4 years, so i'm hoping that these upgrades would last me longer than that. I'm planning on overclocking too, which means i'm gonna need a new MoBo and RAM.

That being said, if I can get away with not having to upgrade something because its not going to make a huge difference in performance for me then by all means let me know. This is just stuff I've been thinking about upgrading for awhile now, but I don't have the time to do full research on it.

Budget:

• Budget to upgrade would be around $1000 USD, but I have not kept up with the market trends very much so its not absolute. And because of that, I'm not looking to get the most out of my budget but rather to get best price for a certain performance area.

Purpose:

• Primarily would be to play games and be able to stream them. The game I play the most is FFXIV, which is an MMO. I plan on playing other stuff too, but in terms of demanding games I would say Monster Hunter World and games like Darksouls/Sekiro would be the extent of what I play.
  • I also would be using the PC to do artwork such as Clip Studio Paint and Photoshop, but to my knowledge this stuff isn't demanding in terms of performance. I think RAM is the only thing that matters for this, correct me if I'm wrong.

Windows 10:

• To my knowledge, the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 expired long ago. I built my current PC right around the time that upgrade was available but I wasn't ready to commit to Windows 10 since it was still new. Is there any kind of promotion that would let me upgrade for discount/free, or do I just have to buy windows10 license?

CPU and Motherboard

• I'm looking at 2 bundles on Microcenter's website one that's Intel at $530 and the other AMD at $480.
  • Between the two, its a Ryzen 7 2700x or i7-8700k. I don't have much of a preference for which company, and they're pretty much the same from what I gathered so I'm leaning towards AMD because the bundle itself is cheaper by $50. Should I consider the intel's 9th gen CPUs or wait for the next gen of Ryzen processors? I'm not in a rush to upgrade now. I'm estimating around the end of May when I buy this stuff but I don't mind pushing this off until maybe mid July.
  • I expect the response to be to not wait and just buy the available parts now, but I'm not very experienced or in the loop with computer parts and stuff so maybe its better to wait.
  • EDIT 1: Getting a lot of comments about waiting for Zen 2. I'll wait and see how that comes out.
  • As for the motherboard, the only requirement I need is just WiFi. I use a powerline for my current PC but sometimes it randomly loses internet connection and its annoying. It doesn't do it during games, only with general internet use. Having WiFi as a redundancy for that is the plan.

Graphics Card:

• I haven't gotten too far with the planning here. Its just back and forth between the 1660Ti and 2060. Is there anything else to consider here?
  • EDIT 1: I got recommended to get a Vega 64. Seriously considering that over the 2060 and 1660Ti
  • EDIT 2: If I were to get a Vega 64, I would need a new PSU. Currently I have a 500W powersupply, and I could probably still use it if I were to use a 2060 or 1660Ti.

I'd get the 2060 with the 2700X. You don't need to buy a w10 license as long as you don't mind the faint watermark and some personalization settings disabled.

Also, you can buy a USB to Wi-Fi or PCIe/M.2 Wi-Fi adapter

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Also, if it's end of May, please wait for Ryzen 3rd gen. It's likely coming in June.

I'd wait for Ryzen 3 for sure. No point in upgrading when it's so close to release.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'd get the 2060 with the 2700X. You don't need to buy a w10 license as long as you don't mind the faint watermark and some personalization settings disabled.

Also, you can buy a USB to Wi-Fi or PCIe/M.2 Wi-Fi adapter

I'd rather not use a USB to Wi-Fi adapter, and as for an pci-e/m.2 Wi-Fi, is there a reason for this over having it integrated into the Motherboard? How much cheaper am I looking at if I do this?

Prices on https://pcpartpicker.com/products/wireless-network-card/ don't seem to be any different from a Motherboard without wireless. And if its about upgrading the wireless card in the future, i would assume adding a new pci-e/m.2 when the time comes and using that would be no problem.

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Wait for Zen 2.

Pick up a Vega 64 nitro+

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MssmP6/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-8gb-nitro-video-card-11275-03-40g

Its a really good deal atm.

And waiting for Zen 2 would be the way to go, since your CPU is good enough to wait a bit. 

Damn. I wasn't even aware of the Vega 64, thanks for letting me know. I might actually go with this instead, but the only downside to doing this is the need of a new PSU. I currently have a 500w supply, and getting a Vega 64 would mean upgrading that too.

8 hours ago, Leetee said:

I'd rather not use a USB to Wi-Fi adapter, and as for an pci-e/m.2 Wi-Fi, is there a reason for this over having it integrated into the Motherboard? How much cheaper am I looking at if I do this?

Prices on https://pcpartpicker.com/products/wireless-network-card/ don't seem to be any different from a Motherboard without wireless. And if its about upgrading the wireless card in the future, i would assume adding a new pci-e/m.2 when the time comes and using that would be no problem.

Damn. I wasn't even aware of the Vega 64, thanks for letting me know. I might actually go with this instead, but the only downside to doing this is the need of a new PSU. I currently have a 500w supply, and getting a Vega 64 would mean upgrading that too.

For the PSU, I'd recommend something like a Seasonic Prime Ultra that's 650W+. If prices aren't any higher, go for the mobo with integrated WiFi

25 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

For the PSU, I'd recommend something like a Seasonic Prime Ultra that's 650W+. If prices aren't any higher, go for the mobo with integrated WiFi

Why? Thats way expencive.

A Rmx550/650 from corsair is more than enough. Or a Supernova G2 from EVGA.

Or on the cheaper end:

TXM550/650, CX650(2017), and bequiet 10/11 600 watt