First PC Build

jdude303

Hello LTT Forum! first time posting, first time building, long time viewer, etc etc.

I had slowly been piecing this build together since October of 2018 and i'm extremely happy with my end result. Finished putting everything together last week and figured I owed it to myself to "show it off".  I have a couple of enthusiast friends who offered to help with assembly but after reading a couple threads here, and of course watching all the LTT content, I felt I was capable of doing it myself. Turns out I was right, I got lucky and had Zero issues (except with RAM speeds, more on that later).  It took me a couple hours to put together, that panic "did this click in the right way, let me watch a section of a video again" mindset kicked it but overall it was a very smooth process.

Specs

• Ryzen 5 2600
  • Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming
  • 16Gb DDR4 3200 OLOy (CAS 16 if anyone cares to know)
  • WD Blue 3D NAND 500 GB Internal SSD
  • Corsair CX 650M 80+ Bronze 650 Watt PSU
  • MSI GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS
  • Asus PCE-AC55BT (wireless network card)
  • Fractal Design Meshify C for the case
  • a single LED strip I had laying around that happened to work with aura sync

I can happily say i'm thrilled with this build. It does everything I need for work and obviously gaming as well.  So about the RAM...I may get flack for going with such an off brand, or maybe I won't. I can admit it was definitely a risk that I took but it seems to have paid off. There was a sale and i thought why not. So during my initial setup in the bios for this, I saw that it was running at a lower speed (2133 i think, can't remember now). During the whole build, I somehow forgot that AMD commonly uses DOCP and I kept looking for "XMP" and panicked for a few minutes. That turned around quickly after a single google search and then I was off to the races so to speak. I'm not going to get into cable management too much here, I did not take any shots of the back panel for a reason (lol). But it's tidy enough that i'm OK with it for the time being, and on the front side it's not horrific by any means. I've run some bench tests, played some games, messed with msi afterburner a little bit but currently i'm not really overclocking anything. I haven't had a need to, for what I've been playing I have yet to run into a moment where it didn't feel anything less than capable. Like most people who build a pc for the first time, I've already caught "the bug" and am itching at the bit with potential future add-ons, but for now, I'm just happy I can work and game at the same time ^_^ 

20190414_094159.thumb.jpg.6108b15add170656e4a6cc527115c93f.jpg20190414_101101.thumb.jpg.623db6f1cbd86ace8a35e6454761696e.jpg

Congratulations! Looks nice! Next time shoot some photos with the side glass removed :)

I've been noticing that Newegg frequently has that OLOy RAM on sale. I'm not too familiar with it.

Are you going to try and overclock it? You'll need to replace the stock cooler if you do.

Cool build, only thing I would do differently is get the GAMING X edition of MSI GPU. But otherwise a fantastic build, especially for a first timer

12 hours ago, Bearmann said:

Congratulations! Looks nice! Next time shoot some photos with the side glass removed :)

I've been noticing that Newegg frequently has that OLOy RAM on sale. I'm not too familiar with it.

Are you going to try and overclock it? You'll need to replace the stock cooler if you do.

If i take the glass off then you can see my flaws haha, but I shall have to do that as well. At some point I plan to overclock, that stock cooler would be the first thing to go.  I still haven't decided if i'm going to get an AIO for the cpu or just a bigger/morebetter cooler. One more fan for intake will likely follow as well (but that mostly depends on if I go the AIO route for the cpu).  I'm running the RAM at it's rated speeds currently but it seems to be holding it's own so far. I suppose time will tell with an off brand such as this one. 

12 hours ago, Burnedice25 said:

Cool build, only thing I would do differently is get the GAMING X edition of MSI GPU. But otherwise a fantastic build, especially for a first timer

When I went to microcenter to finish off my build I honestly didn't even think about that version, completely slipped my mind. At the same time, then I would have that internal debate of  "$314.00 for a 1660 ti or save $30 more dollars up and get a 2060". I still have a couple days left to return it so maybe I will. I'm happy to finally be part of the community so thank you for the kind words 

Nice build man! How are you liking the 1660ti?

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

19 hours ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

Nice build man! How are you liking the 1660ti?

So far so good, I haven't had any complaints. The only game I have in my steam library that even really makes use of it is Witcher 3 and it does a fantastic job! Highest settings on everything I can, only use a 1080p monitor so I don't have to push beyond that. Without even firing up MSI afterburner I am getting in the high 70's to low 80's for my fps. From my (limited) understanding of the massive landscape that is GPU's, this one is aggressively priced for what you get (I feel).