iPhone XR - a call for discussion

zrmaxwell

I got the base 64GB version because I don't need as much local storage and keep the rest in the cloud. Given how privacy invested Apple is, how it still has the fastest CPU that can hardly be poked by chipsets that arrived half a year later, build quality is really up there and guaranteed super long software support are things that easily justify a 800€ pricetag. Granted, there are many more high end value oriented devices like excellent Xiaomi Mi9 with excellent everything for like 500€, but it's filled with Google garbage and I just can't pick it anymore because of that alone. I can't pick ANY Android phone for that matter. I don't want Google in my life. Which basically leaves you Apple as the only option. Android's without Google stuff are just dumb phones with big screen and good camera so I won't bother with that. I really can't justify 1200€ and more prices for their XS and Max models. That's ridiculous. Which is why I picked XR. It's "reasonable". Probably gonna have it for several years if all goes well or replace it via their trade-in program.

51 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I got the base 64GB version because I don't need as much local storage and keep the rest in the cloud. Given how privacy invested Apple is, how it still has the fastest CPU that can hardly be poked by chipsets that arrived half a year later, build quality is really up there and guaranteed super long software support are things that easily justify a 800€ pricetag. Granted, there are many more high end value oriented devices like excellent Xiaomi Mi9 with excellent everything for like 500€, but it's filled with Google garbage and I just can't pick it anymore because of that alone. I can't pick ANY Android phone for that matter. I don't want Google in my life. Which basically leaves you Apple as the only option. Android's without Google stuff are just dumb phones with big screen and good camera so I won't bother with that. I really can't justify 1200€ and more prices for their XS and Max models. That's ridiculous. Which is why I picked XR. It's "reasonable". Probably gonna have it for several years if all goes well or replace it via their trade-in program.

I agree with you in every way, except for the screen...

I don't see anything wrong with the screen. It has a weird ratio and resolution and is technically 720p, but I don't care. Great viewing angles, great colors, sharp. Can't complain. This is coming from someone who had 1080p before. I can't even tell a difference...

I’m so torn on phones. I hate the notches so many phones are turning to. I also hate the lack of a proper headphone jack. This is almost universally true of all phones on the market now.

Android OS is just garbage compared to iOS. I’m not even an Apple fanboy and I can see that. Who cares if the device is technically more customizable? If you’re into that then you can jailbreak your iPhone anyway. Lots of support for that community. Even plain old iOS is just far easier to use and it offers everything I’ve ever wanted from my phone. What are you possibly doing on your Android that’s so great that can’t be done on an iPhone?

Apple phones tend to be higher build quality which is why you commonly hear about iPhones running for years and years. I know people that still use the iPhone 4 and it works. Not exactly fast but think about how long it’s been. I just don’t hear about anything like that with any Android devices.

Samsung just released what will likely be the last major phone release to ever feature a headphone jack. It’s also somehow more expensive than the iPhone. I don’t recall pricing ever being like that in the past. Weren’t they supposed to be a less expensive alternative to Apple?

I plan to hold onto my 6S until it dies.

I’m sure if I ever get an android that I will adjust but I think there’s a strong argument to be made for Apple even if they haven’t really done any major innovation recently.

26 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

I’m so torn on phones. I hate the notches so many phones are turning to. I also hate the lack of a proper headphone jack. This is almost universally true of all phones on the market now.

Android OS is just garbage compared to iOS. I’m not even an Apple fanboy and I can see that. Who cares if the device is technically more customizable? If you’re into that then you can jailbreak your iPhone anyway. Lots of support for that community. Even plain old iOS is just far easier to use and it offers everything I’ve ever wanted from my phone. What are you possibly doing on your Android that’s so great that can’t be done on an iPhone?

Apple phones tend to be higher build quality which is why you commonly hear about iPhones running for years and years. I know people that still use the iPhone 4 and it works. Not exactly fast but think about how long it’s been. I just don’t hear about anything like that with any Android devices.

Samsung just released what will likely be the last major phone release to ever feature a headphone jack. It’s also somehow more expensive than the iPhone. I don’t recall pricing ever being like that in the past. Weren’t they supposed to be a less expensive alternative to Apple?

I plan to hold onto my 6S until it dies.

I’m sure if I ever get an android that I will adjust but I think there’s a strong argument to be made for Apple even if they haven’t really done any major innovation recently.

As far as iOS disadvantages go (regarding my personal use case), console emulation is very easily the 2nd biggest thing I'll miss. Workarounds exist, but tend to involve Mac OS, and, without a developer license, would require reinstall every week. I plan to get a Raspberry Pi for this usage however.

The other, arguably more impactful disadvantage is the difficulty in accessing the file system from a pc. Keep in mind I have no home internet, and just a limited data plan to work with, so this is very important for me. With Android, it is trivial to download anything on a wifi spot and later connect it to my desktop and transfer anything I wish over through Windows Explorer. iOS appears to be far more restrictive in this regard, and at minimum, requires iTunes to do the same.

In essence, the phone has to be my computer away from home to act as an effective intermediary for my home desktop.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…