iPhone XR - a call for discussion

zrmaxwell
2 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Security & usability are what make a phone imo.. the iPhone has those aspects.. & more..

Security is not that important if u ask me for a phone.Because no one will try to steal something.Only facebook and google give out information and security updates dont help at all in that regard

1 minute ago, ManosMax13 said:

I dont care about ios.For that price you can get a phone with better fetures

Not everybody wants that is what I'm trying to say. Some people - like me - just want a phone that works and has good software, and iPhones do that better than the rest.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, zrmaxwell said:

1. That is your opinion.. 

2. they fixed it with ios 12.. 

So you dont agree that phones in the same pricetag have better fetures

Just now, seoz said:

Not everybody wants that is what I'm trying to say. Some people - like me - just want a phone that works and has good software, and iPhones do that better than the rest.

Yes but why pay a premium  for worse features.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Even if you see youtube videos not a lot of people like apple products anymore

This is why they used to be better

But now competition has caught up

And the premium that apple asks for cant be justified anymore.

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

So you dont agree that phones in the same pricetag have better fetures

features are kind of secondary in my mind. I will say that phones have better features than the iphone xr in the price range but will those features work 100% of the time? Probably not. Look at linus' video on why the iPhone is better.. It pretty much explains why ios users are pretty happy with their ios phones..

Just now, zrmaxwell said:

features are kind of secondary in my mind. I will say that phones have better features than the iphone xr in the price range but will those features work 100% of the time? Probably not. Look at linus' video on why the iPhone is better.. It pretty much explains why ios users are pretty happy with their ios phones..

Yes but linus prefers android he just stated that iphones are good too.Thats why he uses the note 9

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

You can try an android phone it wont disapoint you.They are pretty damn good nowadays and you can costumize them.

Yes but why pay a premium  for worse features.

Because people like iOS, it's that simple. iPhones generally have lower specs than Android competitors because iPhones don't need that high spec hardware because iOS is that optimised. The average consumer doesn't want/need better features than what the iPhones offer.

And the premium that apple asks for cant be justified anymore.

You could argue this point for the iPhone Xs, as I actually was going to get an Xs but the pricetag kicked my in the chin. Where the premium lies is in software updates, that's what Apple is known for and is the reason they tag such a premium on their iPhones.

Apple can charge more because they are the only company who develop iOS, which the average consumer of iPhones enjoys.

17 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Why? because most users upgrade by then? Well, i am not like most users.. I want a phone to last.. 

There's an argument to be made for buying two phones that cost half as much instead of a single one - a midrange phone bought two years from now is likely to be just as good or better than current flagships. Regardless, my phone (a pretty cheap oneplus x) is 3.5 years old and it still works perfectly for all my needs. Security is rarely a problem even on outdated Android versions - if you only install software from the play store it's really hard to be hit by any kind of malware, and browser updates are generally enough to protect you from web based threats - and if you're really worried, installing an updated custom rom is quite easy on most models.

It is partly a matter of opinion of course, but if that's the only reason you want to buy an iPhone over the models he suggested you may want to consider whether it's worth the significant price difference on its own.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

You can try an android phone it wont disapoint you.They are pretty damn good nowadays and you can costumize them.

Customization is an afterthought in my book. I prefer how well something works without any tweaks.. 

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Because people like iOS, it's that simple. iPhones generally have lower specs than Android competitors because iPhones don't need that high spec hardware because iOS is that optimised. The average consumer doesn't want/need better features than what the iPhones offer.

You could argue this point for the iPhone Xs, as I actually was going to get an Xs but the pricetag kicked my in the chin. Where the premium lies is in software updates, that's what Apple is known for and is the reason they tag such a premium on their iPhones.

Apple can charge more because they are the only company who develop iOS, which the average consumer of iPhones enjoys.

Yes but androids have better features and iphones have better software i know that.But apple is charging a premium while android is not.If the price is the same,i would be like

i want more features or i want more optimized software.But now,why paying a premium for better software if the features are worse.Also nowadays android software can be pretty good with some optimization made by the user.

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

Customization is an afterthought in my book. I prefer how well something works without any tweaks.. 

So u prefer to pay like a 150-200 premium because you dont want to costumize?Then I agree that you would enjoy an Iphone more than Android

2 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Also ur rich boii

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

But apple is charging a premium while android is not.If the price is the same,i would be like

i want more features or i want more optimized software.

I can agree with you on that front regarding what you want out of a phone, because everyone has their own needs out of one, I can tell you and I are strikingly different as to what we want out of phones.

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

But now,why paying a premium for better software if the features are worse.

Some people don't want those features, they just want something that works, you know? I own both an S8 and a 6s and yet I come back to the 6s often because of how smooth iOS is.

I know that my S8 has waterproofing, a larger screen, better camera, a lot more in Android, but I'm more software-focused so I don't mind not having those features.

Also nowadays android software can be pretty good with some optimization made by the user.

Absolutely, I have my S8 on Android 9 and it's been wonderful, albeit it took a while for 9 to get to me over software updates...

I have my animations sets to 0.5x in particular to make it feel snappier, I have a custom home launcher, all the stuff to make it personalised, and that's what I love about Android.

Also ur rich boii

Not really rich.. I plan on working really hard to earn and save up money for an iphone xr or whatever they decide to come out with in 2019 or 2020.. 

53 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Do you own one or do you plan on purchasing one?

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? 

How can Apple improve on things in the 2019 iPhones/what do you want out of the next iPhones feature, software, & hardware-wise.. 

(the last question sounds like a marketing question asked by an apple phone developer or something lol..) 

- no, I have an iPhone X. Plan to use that till it's too slow to be usable, or breaks. Unless I happen to accidentally yeet it down some steps, that's not likely to happen very soon

- It's a great design, good price (for an iPhone), fast af, has an excellent camera. Cuts out a lot of the stuff you don't actually need that makes the other phones cost more. Sadly, as per usual there's no headphone jack, and I'd like to see a smaller size (I like the size of the X, don't really want anything bigger rn).

- as I assume they're going to, make them more power efficient, slightly better camera, etc. Not much else you really can do. I hope they don't do some stupid mechanical flip up camera (not a fan of moving parts on phones, more to break), try and force them any thinner, or do some wack triple/quad camera setup that looks derpy (the XR has a single camera that's excellent, no need for more). I would like to see a return to metal backs instead of glass, but I doubt that'll happen (same with a switch to USB-C, not likely). Software wise, just a few more customization options for iOS, a proper dark mode and such.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, zrmaxwell said:

I will say that phones have better features than the iphone xr in the price range but will those features work 100% of the time? Probably not.

I'm not sure what you mean, of course those features will work all the time - small bugs can happen but that also goes for iPhones, arguably more so in recent years. Buying an Android phone doesn't mean that every time you use the camera there's a 25% chance the picture won't be taken or anything like that... and buying an iPhone doesn't mean you'll never experience bugs.

1 hour ago, ManosMax13 said:

Also ur rich boii

I wouldn't say you need to be rich to be able to afford an Xr... even though I consider it to be too expensive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, zrmaxwell said:

How can Apple improve on things in the 2019 iPhones/what do you want out of the next iPhones feature, software, & hardware-wise.. 

(the last question sounds like a marketing question asked by an apple phone developer or something lol..) 

I have an iPhone XS, so I'm not in the market for an XR, but there are things I'd like to see with subsequent updates.

The main thing: dual cameras.  The XR's lone rear camera is pretty good, but it's clear that this isn't enough when competitors (like the Galaxy S10e) have two.  I just hope the second unit is a telephoto cam, since I find that far more useful than a wide-angle.

After that, a display upgrade is in order.  The 858p display on the XR is quite nice, but again, the competition typically offers 1080p at that point.  I'm not expecting OLED (the rumors have the XR using OLED in 2020), but going to something around 1080p would make it more compelling.

After that, more baseline storage.  I'd say 64GB is still enough for most people if they don't have giant media libraries, but the S10e and a few other phones in this price class already have 128GB.  Give people enough space that they don't have to think about storage unless they're constantly recording 4K videos.

10 hours ago, zrmaxwell said:

I just purchased this phone.

Like:

1. It works
  2. Working bluetooth unlike the last phone
  3. Easy to use
  4. Face ID is nice
  5. Apple pay works really well
  6. Battery life is very good
  7. iCloud is nice, especially the family sharing part
  8. Pokemon Go works great on this device 
  9. Face time is kinda cool
    1. No joke I did my first face time with my sister sitting on the toilet. Didnt know she was doing face time. 
  10. Integration with other Apple Devices
    1. Dont have personal experience but my sister has an iPad and she has access to every thing on there, as well as can make phone calls from the iPad, because your phone number is attached to your Apple ID I guess. 
  11. Ringer swtich. 
    1. There is a small toggle switch on the side of the phone that turns the ringer on and off. Its a nice feature, as I had something similar on the OnePlus 3T

Dislike

1. Family sharing has a shared payment method you cant change unless your the organizer. 
    1. This means I have to buy Apple Cards in order to make purchases, so just a little inconvenience. 
  2. WiFi Analyzer is not available on the Apple App Store

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think Apple made a good move with the XR.  

It has the Face ID (important for security)

It has Wireless Charging

And its all at an "affordable" price*

But they should've implemented a better display since thats what most make their XR decisions on.

Plus it comes in many colors.

*for nowadays

Won’t visit often..

4 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

But they should've implemented a better display since thats what most make their XR decisions on.

Honestly I think the display is fine. Though I didnt see any difference between my LG G3's screen which was 1440p and my OnePlus 3T screen which was 1080p. 

4 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Plus it comes in many colors.

Got the red color, its pretty damn sexy if you ask me. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, ManosMax13 said:

Security is not that important if u ask me for a phone.Because no one will try to steal something.Only facebook and google give out information and security updates dont help at all in that regard

As someone that lacks home internet entirely, all of my internet traffic is routed through my phone in some form or another, banking as well as tax documents from myself and family. For a lot of people nowadays, sensitive information is handled through their phones as well. Various forms of malware can exploit previously unknown flaws in apps and the OS itself to excecute malicious code. One need not be targeted specifically to fall prey, and a proper malware will make off with your information without you suspecting anything.

Further, i don't like changing up devices, at all. I hang on to my devices until their demise, and I'm certainly familiar with the world of custom ROMs. However, I'm quite tired of resorting to ROMs and the quirks involved to eke out some further security updates out of my device. For all it's disadvantages, an iPhone will very likely be my next device after my current phone kicks the bucket.

To the topic on hand, while I think it's too expensive, the XR would probably be my pick over the XS, due to the LCD (better longevity vs OLED) and the substantially larger battery (largest of any iPhone, actually), both factors making it likely the XR will hold up well over the years. The reduced resolution and the 3 GB of RAM make this a tougher decision however, the RAM factor potentially impacting longevity some.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

33 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Gonna call in the only XR owner I truly know to talk about his experience with the phone: @pinksnowbirdie

ooo interesting thread lol

Anyways to preface my response to OP: I came from a Galaxy S8+ and while I loved the phone for many reasons, it had some issues that appeared around the same time as my S6 and some issues I never had with my S6.

Largely the biggest issue that the S8+ had that the S6 didn't was lots of screen burn-in and battery deterioration was on about the same rate as the S6 though with the S8+ because of the larger capacity I think it's able to hide it a bit better.

That burn-in, along with additional privacy, and just wanting a phone that "just works" are large driving factors of why I got my XR.

The rest of my response:

I have a 128GB iPhone XR in Black on AT&T, and so far in the almost 2 months I've owned it I've really grown to like it.

For one, Apple Pay is brilliant. Much better than Google Pay.
FaceID also amazing, super fast and very easy.

I was skeptical at first about FaceID but I wanted to try it out and I'm still using it.

I don't really notice the lower resolution, the screen for the most part is bright enough and clear enough and boasts an amazing color range.

As I learn about some 3D Touch features that would be nifty to have, I do question it's omission but I understand it.
The fact the XR also has the same SoC as the XS and XS Max, that also shifts favorably in the XRs favor and the camera is just fine since it's the primary lens out of the XS/XS Max. If you don't need the zoom or can live with digital zoom you're fine.

I feel some of the criticism for the XR is unjust because for it's price, especially being an iPhone. It's not a bad option. I've talked with the Apple brand rep that comes into my store all the time and aside from the marketing shit he does make a good case for why the XR is a really good phone for what it is.

In a way, it's like the 5C but instead of using old hardware they made it actually worthwhile.

To answer the last question: I guess just to give in to the complaints of the people who judge a phone off it's paper specs over how it is in person and make the display at least 1080p and uh just keep a similar formula for the new ones

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization