iPhone XR - a call for discussion

zrmaxwell

Do you own one or do you plan on purchasing one?

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? 

How can Apple improve on things in the 2019 iPhones/what do you want out of the next iPhones feature, software, & hardware-wise.. 

(the last question sounds like a marketing question asked by an apple phone developer or something lol..) 

2 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Yep.. 

Why would you buy apple there are other products better than the xr with better price tag.

4 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

No and no.

What do you like about it?

The camera is pretty cool.

5 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

What do you dislike about it?

It's too expensive (imo), it doesn't have user expandable storage, it runs iOS, it doesn't have a headphone jack, it doesn't have a removable battery, it has a notch, it uses the lightning port instead of a standard usb port, it doesn't have an amoled screen, extra storage comes at a significant premium.

9 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

How can Apple improve on things in the 2019 iPhones/what do you want out of the next iPhones feature, software, & hardware-wise...

Well, considering I dislike almost everything about their current models I doubt they will just make a U turn and make a completely different phone for next year.

3 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Yep.. 

I personally don't recommend it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

No and No

10 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? 

Has nothing special compared to other flagship phones, I dislike price for what I use my phone even a cheap Lenovo suffices.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

No and no.

The camera is pretty cool.

It's too expensive (imo), it doesn't have user expandable storage, it runs iOS, it doesn't have a headphone jack, it doesn't have a removable battery, it has a notch, it uses the lightning port instead of a standard usb port, it doesn't have an amoled screen, extra storage comes at a significant premium.

Well, considering I dislike almost everything about their current models I doubt they will just make a U turn and make a completely different phone for next year.

I personally don't recommend it.

Agree.

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Why would you buy apple there are other products better than the xr with better price tag.

What phone has better battery performance, a better camera, better UI fluidity, and more importantly, what other phone will be updated for 4+ years like the iphone xr?  

What phone has better battery performance, a better camera, better UI fluidity, and more importantly, what other phone will be updated for 4+ years like the iphone xr?  

xiaomi mi mix 3,samsung s10e

1 minute ago, ManosMax13 said:

xiaomi mi mix 3,samsung s10e

i doubt those phones will make it past 2 years of software updates.. 

1 minute ago, zrmaxwell said:

i doubt those phones will make it past 2 years of software updates.. 

That does not matter

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

That does not matter

Why? because most users upgrade by then? Well, i am not like most users.. I want a phone to last.. 

Just now, zrmaxwell said:

Why? because most users upgrade by then? Well, i am not like most users.. I want a phone to last.. 

I mean the phone will work without upgrades

5 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

That does not matter

How does software updates not matter? I expect OP to get a new phone that will last over 3 major software updates, at that point you'd want a phone with good update support.

You can't just say "That does not matter" to favor your suggestions more, not everyone is like you.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, seoz said:

How does software updates not matter? I expect OP to get a new phone that will last over 3 major software updates, at that point you'd want a good with good update support.

You can't just say "That does not matter" to favor your suggestions more, not everyone is like you.

Agree 110%

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

I mean the phone will work without upgrades

Security will be crippled on that phone & pretty much every other phone that loses update support.. 

7 minutes ago, seoz said:

How does software updates not matter? I expect OP to get a new phone that will last over 3 major software updates, at that point you'd want a good with good update support.

As i said getting a worse phone because the software updates will last for more is a bad choise,because the phone will work just fine without latest software.Not to mention that,

that as apple did with the iphone 6 reducing the performance,the phone might work worse with the latest updates

Security will be crippled on that phone & pretty much every other phone that loses update support.. 

Its not worth getting a worse phone just for security updates

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

As i said getting a worse phone because the software updates will last for more is a bad choise,because the phone will work just fine without latest software.Not to mention that,

that as apple did with the iphone 6 reducing the performance,the phone might work worse with the latest updates

UMM Meme

It's not a worse phone, people like iOS.

I have an iPhone 6s which is running iOS 12.2 and it never hiccups, and hasn't slowed down over the course of the 3 years that I've owned it. It takes a couple milliseconds more to load apps, that's the nature of running newer software on older hardware.

My Samsung Galaxy S8 on the other hand only recently got Android 9, and before that, it never received any security updates since October.

Newer updates provide extended user experience as well as security updates, Apple provides software updates better than everyone else.

I guarantee that, if OP does go for the iPhone Xr, that in 5 years or so, OP will be sitting pretty on the latest iOS, happy with the smooth-running software. It keeps the phone feeling fresh with every major update.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Its not worth getting a worse phone just for security updates

Security & usability are what make a phone imo.. the iPhone has those aspects.. & more..

Whats that?

it is the "umm" meme/gif or whatever.. don't know how to get the actual picture into a post yet..

Just now, seoz said:

It's not a worse phone, people like iOS.

I have an iPhone 6s which is running iOS 12.2 and it never hiccups, and hasn't slowed down over the course of the 3 years that I've owned it. It takes a couple milliseconds more to load apps, that's the nature of running newer software on older hardware.

My Samsung Galaxy S8 on the other hand only recently got Android 9, and before that, it never received any security updates since October.

Newer updates provide extended user experience as well as security updates, Apple provides software updates better than everyone else.

I guarantee that, if OP does go for the iPhone Xr, that in 5 years or so, OP will be sitting pretty on the latest iOS, happy with the smooth-running software. It keeps the phone feeling fresh with every major update.

I dont care about ios.For that price you can get a phone with better fetures.Also apple slowed down the performance for better battery in older phones look it up

I dont care about ios.For that price you can get a phone with better fetures.Also apple slowed down the performance for better battery in older phones look it up

1. That is your opinion.. 

2. they fixed it with ios 12..