Why are you a computer enthusiast?

NachozR4Ever

I became an enthusiest out of necessity. I had to learn to use them for my job. I also have ADHD and computers are the best way to keep my life (and personal records) organized and on track. They are great for communication and are essential for shopping , especially in this podunk, one-horse megalopolis I live in (seriously, shopping in the Phoenix metro area is like being in BF, Arkansas). The internet is a great place to learn things. Computers are the best way to store my books (e-books), music (I would call myself an audiophile but I'm not snobbish enough), and movies; they also take up far less space on a computer than in physical formats.

I started learning how to service and make my own systems because no one made anything that met my needs, not to mention not being able to find reasonably priced, reliable, and honest service personnel. While I enjoy creating things wth my hands, I do it more for necessity than for pleasure.

I'm not a gamer and I don't like my computers to light up like the Vegas Strip or Fremont Street.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

My computer is my life, essentially.

I make a living on it, it's my primary entertainment and learning center, and I even use it to meet women. 

I spend a huge chunk of my life, especially workdays, interacting with that machine, so naturally I'm interested in it and its functioning at a deeper level than I would be for most other stuff. It also needs to look pretty because, again, I'm sitting next to it and looking at it for many hours every day. I don't wanna be staring at some ugly piece of trash. 

Also, tech is cool. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Radiator fluid, mixed metals - the skies the limit when you don't listen to manufacturers wanting you to just buy their stuff ;)

PSA: galvanic corrosion isn't a scary monster, its beaten by science all the time

Radiator fluid is only bad if you're running a glycol based fluid in PETG.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Actually I hate RPG lighting

Uh.............

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Radiator fluid is only bad if you're running a glycol based fluid in PETG.

Uh.............

At first I was like...okay

Then I was like...PETG is made with ethylene glycol (PET tubing is made without it...the G in PETG stands for Glycol)...so not sure how that is a problem?  Though Im not using PETG tubing - why would PETG tubing be an issue?  Rather than research the science behind your claim what is your base?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

At first I was like...okay

Then I was like...PETG is made with ethylene glycol (PET tubing is made without it...the G in PETG stands for Glycol)...so not sure how that is a problem?  Though Im not using PETG tubing - why would PETG tubing be an issue?  Rather than research the science behind your claim what is your base?

Ethylene Glycol based coolants tend to dissolve PETG. EG is a main component of most automotive coolants and some PC coolants.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ethylene Glycol based coolants tend to dissolve PETG. EG is a main component of most automotive coolants and some PC coolants.

I see - however like mixing metals in a loop - its all a scare tactic to buy the manufacturers stuff.  It works just fine if you know what you are doing :)  (I.E. research the science, and balance your chemicals correctly)There is a risk with introducing water to cool PCB's, about the same risk as using a properly balanced ethylene glycol based fluid with PETG.

There are a hell of alot of conflicting information in our industry regarding Glycol and PETG, first off what you have probably seen is a chart of chemicals that react with each other and Glycol and PETG overlap meaning there is an issue.
Secondly, this chart and all other information are based around 100% neat Ethylene Glycol and PETG.. There is no coolant sold in our industry that has over 30% Glycol in it, so testing on this chart indicates an issue spanning use over 1 year, divide that by 3 to be safe, so 3 years would be fine with this setup.
If you wanted to avoid Glycol all together than look up the XSPC EC6 which is based on a none toxic blend of refined vegetable extract, this is an industry proven products which we've sold for over 9 years now.
If you wanted to go for a weak Glycol then you can look at the Liquid.cool CFX which is 15% glycol, but also contains a DETOX additive, meaning it's not aggressive towards plastics and other things.

Kind Regards
Customer Service
WCUK Online
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

The Metallurgists at my work aren't plasti-guys but I had them take a look at this (at work on a Sunday woooo lol) to confirm - they also agree that it comes down to moderation like in all things, once you understand the science about it.  But also say to use Propylene instead lol if you use PETG

I have a curiosity for how things work and I grew up with a family that was open to technology. But that's primarily where my interest lies. I'd rather learn about how things work and how they can be applied than performance numbers or how to overclock the snot out of something.

I enjoy playing with toys and talking to people about it. Plus, I get to enjoy the fruit of my work in every way I can fathom.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I just want to go fast m8

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I like computers because I don't have a life. I'm old, fat, ugly and disabled. I have no friends here but my PC linked me to a world wide web where I can be somebody and make friends.

On the Internet there's no boundaries. We all over the world have a lot in common, we are folks who just wants to make it. Internet is the best thing ever happened to me. Not only we are folks but we can shop online and get stuff at our doors. We watch TV and movies commercial free. YouTube is full of goodies to view.

And thousands if not millions of sites to browse for whatever that interest us. This forum is one of such site.

When's Lunch?

I was a former console player, I am a former console player.

Upon purchasing Battlefield 4, I was extremely disappointed with it on console. Long story short, I ended up googling how to build a PC, got interested, did it, and here we are.

The first "how to build a PC" videos I watched were LTT build guides. It's also how I learned about computers in general. Although I like to think I already had a better understanding of them than the average person, based on having used them in high school for some light gaming. Mainly stuff like The Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

7 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

This is wonderful!  I love your response!  My favorite.

5 hours ago, Boarder said:

I like computers because I don't have a life. I'm old, fat, ugly and disabled. I have no friends here but my PC linked me to a world wide web where I can be somebody and make friends.

On the Internet there's no boundaries. We all over the world have a lot in common, we are folks who just wants to make it. Internet is the best thing ever happened to me. Not only we are folks but we can shop online and get stuff at our doors. We watch TV and movies commercial free. YouTube is full of goodies to view.

And thousands if not millions of sites to browse for whatever that interest us. This forum is one of such site.

Me too!  You’re right on about the internet. — it’s amazing!

I got into computers because of my dad. My dad works in IT and so do I. My dad has been in the IT industry for over 25 years. After watching him working with computer and also going to his place of work. I found my interest. Although now I don't really focus my attention on high end gear. I work with low to mid range. But now that I'm working in I don't have much time to tinker. I come back from work. It's already 6PM. I only have 4 hours to do something. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

In the 70s I read a Life magazine article about an supercomputer animating a chrome ant. I wanted to do that. About the same time I read about some of the first flight simulators and I wanted to do that too.  

In the early 80s when the first personal computers had a price drop I bought my first computer. An Atari 400 . Back then computers came with programming languages so I took a few courses to learn. I also joined a computer club to see what the community was doing pre-internet. Later I joined GEnie and CompuServe and they aloud me to use the WWW even though it was only a CLI back then. 

I wrote programs through the 80s and the early part of the 90s. When I started game programing I found that the graphics part was more fun so I concentrated on that.

Like photography before it, my computer hobby had to pay for itself and the connections I got through the computer club helped a lot. These side jobs became 1/3 of my income by 1995 and all my income by 2005. The jobs included programing, software training, early IT, desktop publishing desktop video, 3D and 3D animation. 

I did not make a cent being a wantabe game developer but I leaned how to become very efficient and since I have zero talent, that is what allowed me to thrive.      

I retired this time last year. My hardware no longer has to pay for itself and that as not happened since the Commodore 64.

I did my chrome ant in 1987. It took several days to render so no time for redos.

I did not see it in 24 bit color until 1990 when I got my first 24bit frame buffer.

CHROMANT.jpg.92fbac8ffd55cc923e3c62e659a2b32d.jpg

Yes. 1987 RT.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I was really into gaming since I was a kid and occasionally things go wrong so you really have to learn your way around computers when you spend so much time around them. As I grew older tech also evolved and various sci fi form of entertainment made it sound really fascinating and influential on our everyday lives so naturally my interest never went away because I felt that tech will effect everything in a major or minor way.

because i spend way too much money on it to be defendable before any judge and jury :D 

no but really for me its not even about PCs specifically. its the engineering and artistic side of it that i love.people making 3.5l performance monsters or giant all chrome art pieces. if it was aabout function then for me any medium spec build with stock cooling and a case worthy of hiding under the desk would do. im developing software for a living and tinker with car and home automation / modification. so its all around the same thing that interests me about those things. you think something up. then scale it down just a bit because the inital idea was way to crazy. then you go nuts again then scale it down.....until you find a sweet spot of what is awesome but just at limit of what you can actually do and then you build it. 

that first minute of seeing something finally work that you dreamed up in a feaver dream. when theres no error post codes, no unexpected temperature fluctuations, no compiling errors no unhandled exceptions. whe everthing just works as intended just because you insisted that it was possible and wouldnt take no for an answer.

best feeling in my life so far

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 4/13/2019 at 6:28 PM, Ezzy-525 said:

Computers are simple.

Pick a number, any number.

Well, any number that is 0 or 1.

To the OP: I try to keep an open mind to everything. If something interests me I learn more about it and the easiest way for me to learn things is through technology so... it all kind of fell into place. Once I decided to get my degree in the IT realm I figured I'd build my own PC and it's been downhill ever since.

I actually just convinced my boss to let me build my own PC for work and I'm just waiting on the cooler and case then I'll be putting it all together! :D

Got into PCs because I had no idea what to go to college for. My Grandfather invented Magnetic Memory and the DDR standard. So I figured it would be nice to get into the same field and have something to talk about. I'm a dumbass though, should have gone into Electrical engineering.