Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delicieuxz

Latest Windows 7 and 10 updates reportedly making systems run slower - Windows Defender a suspect

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The latest BIOS update for MSI X99 Gaming 7 causes all sorts of stability problems for me. I had to downgrade it and just rely on Windows microcode patching to do the security job. MSI is pretty bad at BIOS updates. ASUS would've released 5 more updates where MSI simply doesn't seem to give a damn. And it's been almost a year since they released that broken BIOS...

Well, back in December MSI released a beta BIOS for my X99A SLI Krait Edition board, that apparently fixes enough of the microcode to let 1809 install with HT enabled and no BSOD's... would rather not risk it borking my main (and basically only) system.

I woulda been tempted by an ASUS board when I built this system, but those tend to be 25-50% more expensive (in AUD anyway) than an MSI board of similar specs until you're comparing the Overkill to Overkill in terms of spec-loaded top-end boards.

Spoiler

Main Rig: Monsuta (Build log). Old Systems: Tinker, Beast & Lappy.

Spoiler

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate/ZorinOS 9. CPU: i7-3770K (OC'd at 4.2GHz with 42x Multi + 100MHz Bclk). Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 6. RAM: 32GB (4x8GB kit) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3. GPU: 6GB EVGA GTX780 SC ACX. Storage: 16TB (4x4TB) Seagate Barracudas. Case: CoolerMaster HAF Stacker 945 (915R+925+915F). PSU: 750W Thermaltake EVO Blue. Cooling: EKWB X360 kit + EKWB GTX780 block & (gold) backplate + EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite (incl. pump) + EK CoolStream XE 360/6x EK Vardar 120mm Fan F4-120ER 2200RPM Black (3 pushing through Rad 1, 3 pulling through Rad 2). Optical: ASUS DRW-24B3LT/LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R. Monitor(s): 2x LG Flatron E2441.

Spoiler
Lenovo L520, running Win7Pro/ZorinOS 9, 8GB DDR3, otherwise stock)

1 hour ago, Technous285 said:

Well, back in December MSI released a beta BIOS for my X99A SLI Krait Edition board, that apparently fixes enough of the microcode to let 1809 install with HT enabled and no BSOD's... would rather not risk it borking my main (and basically only) system.

FYI once the microcode on the CPU is updated it won't revert back, so you could load the new BIOS on and have it update the CPU then drop the BIOS back down to a more stable version. Result would be CPU with up to date microcode and a BIOS version you trust.

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I have eset smart security installed, I should be fine right? 

Make a system backup before install the update. 

Macrium Free or AOMEI free backupper is handy.