Latest Windows 7 and 10 updates reportedly making systems run slower - Windows Defender a suspect

Delicieuxz

Thanks to @leadeater for pointing it out: This topic seems to repeat the issue that's brought up in matt-fr's thread here, while bringing some further information about how the issue can affect PCs and that it also applies to Windows 10:

Windows is Slower After April 2019 Updates According to Users

Users are reporting that after installing this week's Microsoft's April 2019 Patch Tuesday updates, Windows has suddenly become slow and programs are taking forever to open.

The issues that users are experiencing include Windows taking a long time to start or reboot, unable to start programs, lag in games, excessive disk activity, video streaming issues, and other similar problems.

For example, in a comment at BleepingComputer a reader has stated that their Windows 10 computer has become extremely slow and that rebooting/starting Windows takes forever.

While I have not been able to verify this on my own Windows 10 computer, one user on Reddit stated that the issues were being caused by Windows Defender.

Normally when a user has an antivirus program, Windows defender will disable its real time protection. It seem for this user at least, Windows Defender is being enabled automatically even though the user had Avira installed on the machine.

Having two antivirus programs performing real-time protection could definitely cause slowdowns and other issues.

At this time there is nothing from Microsoft that states they are aware of the reported issues. The only reference to Windows being slow since the updates is from a support article posted yesterday by Avira that is simply titled "Why does my system run very slow?".

This article states that if Windows 10 has become slow, you should remove the KB4493509 update. For Windows 7 users, they state that you should remove KB4493472 and KB4493448 updates for Windows 7.

Satya Nadella's post-QA-era Microsoft strikes again.

This isn't even a feature update, but a security one. Imagine how bad the May 2019 update is likely to be given Microsoft perpetually worsening track record for update quality.

Amid these new issues, and after the disastrous Windows 10 version 1809 release in October, and with the Windows 10 version 1903 feature update approaching, and to be released in May, I'm very happy that I made the move to Windows 10 LTSC (which doesn't get feature updates and which doesn't have UWP nonsense), which can be purchased on eBay for like $5 or $10.

I've also disabled Windows Update on my system so that it's secured against non-feature-update threats from Microsoft.

How to disable Windows Update in your Windows 10 OS:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows is Slower After April 2019 Updates According to Users

Satya Nadella's post-QA-era Microsoft strikes again.

This isn't even a feature update, but a security one. Imagine how bad the May 2019 update is likely to be given Microsoft perpetually worsening track record for update quality.

Amid these new issues, and after the disastrous Windows 10 version 1809 release in October, and with the Windows 10 version 1903 feature update approaching, and to be released in May, I'm very happy that I made the move to Windows 10 LTSC (which doesn't get feature updates and which doesn't have UWP nonsense), which can be purchased on eBay for like $5 or $10.

I've also disabled Windows Update on my system so that it's secured against non-feature-update threats from Microsoft.

Related post:

How to disable Windows Update in your Windows 10 OS:

I thought were still at 1809,  You got the 1903 build ???  You sure its the final release or a preview release ?  I didn't know the update is out now!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I thought were still at 1809,  You got the 1903 build ???  You sure its the final release or a preview release ?  I didn't know the update is out now!

No, I don't have the 1903 build. The issue pertains to the latest Tuesday updates for version 1809 of Windows 10 and Windows 7. Since it affects both Windows 7 and 10, it's likely a security update that's the culprit - and one of the blamed updates for Windows 7 is the same one that's mentioned in matt-fr's thread about Windows 7 hanging or freezing on restarts.

I expect that the issue reported in this thread's article also affects Windows 8, but that it isn't mentioned in the article simply because so few people use Windows 8 that there aren't many people to report the issue after encountering it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

No, I don't have the 1903 build. The issue pertains to the latest Tuesday updates for version 1809 of Windows 10 and Windows 7. Since it affects both Windows 7 and 10, it's likely a security update that's the culprit - and one of the blamed updates for Windows 7 is the same one that's mentioned in matt-fr's thread about Windows 7 hanging or freezing on restarts.

I expect that the issue reported in this thread's article also affects Windows 8, but that it isn't mentioned because so few people use Windows 8 that nobody has reported encountering it yet in Windows 8.

I believe your system restore should be on by default.  Go to system restore and see if you can rollback to say 2 days ago or 4.  If you need help getting into system restore let me know.  I believe you have good head on your shoulders so you find system restore and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

I believe your system restore should be on by default.  Go to system restore and see if you can rollback to say 2 days ago or 4.  If you need help getting into system restore let me know.  I believe you have good head on your shoulders so you find system restore and what not.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not encountering the issue myself, though, so I'm all good.

FBI Open Up ???

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Theresa May had this problem rolling out the April Brexit update. Hopefully Microsoft can get an extension until the 31st of October as well, so they can avoid a No-update deal. 

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

System Restore has been OFF by default for quite a while for me. I have to manually enable it after every clean Windows install...

Did Microsoft get rid of their employees or something?

How can they say that they want to make their future updates better/stable, but then do shit like this.....

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

How can they say that they want to make their future updates better/stable, but then do shit like this.....

ever heard of lying? it's a thing if you didn't know. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

ever heard of lying? it's a thing if you didn't know. 

I think "marketing" is a better word in this situation. /s

Edited by lewdicrous

Just now, firelighter487 said:

marketing is lying. 

That's the joke...

12 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Saying they want to make things better is only a problem if they are intentionally fucking it up.

Most people want to do better, but just saying that isn't guarantee of successor nor is it an indicator of intentionally failing. 

Apple say the same thing yet their updates brick iphones and macs

The Linux community is always wax lyrical about their update system but it results on just as many issues.

Android fucks up more phones than I even want to know about.

MS has the largest unknown variation hardware/software in windows installs, it is almost guaranteed that a certain percentage will fail due to this.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

32 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

This shit just keeps getting better and better. And by better I mean worse and by shit I mean ... SHIT. 

Kind of wish one of the senior microsoft engineers would explain why this whole process has not gotten better after all these years. If nothing else it seems worse.  I would gladly listen to an hour long video/podcast about this.

26 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

The worsening situation with Windows updates is caused by Satya Nadella's poor decision to offload bug-testing onto Windows owners. Upon becoming Microsoft's CEO in 2014, Satya Nadella quickly started firing enormous numbers of testing engineers to cut costs, impress shareholders with short-term savings, and probably secure himself a nice annual bonus by doing so.

July 2014: Satya Nadella Is Cutting 5,500 Microsoft Employees, Too, With Windows Hit The Hardest

July 2014: Microsoft cuts 18,000 jobs

July 2015: Microsoft cuts another 7,800 jobs, takes $7.6 billion "impairment charge"

July 2016: Microsoft to cut about 2,850 more jobs

January 2017: About 700 Microsoft employees will be laid off next week, sources say

July 2017: Microsoft plans thousands of job cuts in a sales staff overhaul to fuel cloud growth

January 2018: Microsoft makes a new round of layoffs across multiple business units

March 2017: Microsoft claims 10 million ‘fans’ help it test Windows 10, but it’s sure got a funny definition of that word

However, Nadella clearly didn't perform adequate research into whether this would work and whether it was appropriate, and it clearly was not appropriate because it has not worked. It has made running Windows and letting it update automatically (which I don't recommend anyone does) like walking through a minefield.

Satya Nadella Microsoft development and testing is grossly inferior to pre Satya Nadella Microsoft development and testing. I don't see the development model of Nadella Microsoft as being sustainable, as Windows feature updates seem to be becoming more disastrous, Windows design seems to be getting more confused and dishevelled, and Windows itself seems to be falling apart at the seams.

Statistics appear to show that, as challenging as it may be, people are trying to get away from Microsoft - which, going by public comments, is likely because of its reliability and quality issues as a result of Satya Nadella's reckless and poor management choices.

169813771_DesktopOSmarketshare.PNG.00389fb5239db9f3942b3e998bc8b353.PNG

and here i am still happily on 1803.

also

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

169813771_DesktopOSmarketshare.PNG.00389fb5239db9f3942b3e998bc8b353.PNG

i'm guessing the "other/unknown" is iOS and Android? since there is no way in hell they could have market share similar to MacOS without it being known what it is

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

and here i am still happily on 1803.

also

i'm guessing the "other/unknown" is iOS and Android? since there is no way in hell they could have market share similar to MacOS without it being known what it is

That graph is for desktop os so.nope....

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

That graph is for desktop os so.nope....

now i'm even more intrigued as to what this other OS is

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Normally when a user has an antivirus program, Windows defender will disable its real time protection. It seem for this user at least, Windows Defender is being enabled automatically even though the user had Avira installed on the machine.

Probably because after the update Avira is broken and Defender will enable itself if there is no working AV detected. Also that hypothesis could have easily been tested, disable Defender and see if system performance returned.

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

At this time there is nothing from Microsoft that states they are aware of the reported issues. The only reference to Windows being slow since the updates is from a support article posted yesterday by Avira that is simply titled "Why does my system run very slow?".

The other topic mentioned that Microsoft has blocked the update from installing for users with the affected AV software, related to that why do we need this topic?

59 minutes ago, Arika S said:

now i'm even more intrigued as to what this other OS is

I don't know. I wondered if it's some variants of Linux.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/

That chart is different than the graph by Netmarketshare, which doesn't include stats for whatever the mystery OS(es) is/are.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The other topic mentioned that Microsoft has blocked the update from installing for users with the effected AV software, related to that why do we need this topic?

They seem, to me, to bring attention to different issues (shutdown issues in the other thread, performance issues in this one), with some problematic updates identified in this topic that aren't mentioned in the other, and the issues in this thread citing Windows 7 and 10, while the other thread cites Windows 7 and 8.

Unless matt-fr updates the OP in the other thread to include mention of these further issues, the OPs catch the attention of different groups of people and get them looking for different things.

If the threads are merged, that's fine with me. However, will anyone with Windows 10 then read far enough into the thread to discover the issues that apply to them (same for the additional issues in Windows 7)?

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

They seem to bring attention to different issues (shutdown issues in the other thread, performance issues in this one), with some problematic updates identified in this topic that aren't mentioned in the other, and the issues in this thread citing Windows 7 and 10, while the other thread cites Windows 7 and 8.

The other topic is about the computers freezing after installing the update and rebooting, it's the same thing other than Windows 10 not being mentioned. However there isn't exactly wide spread reports for Windows 10 unlike Windows 7 and 8.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

The other topic is about the computers freezing after installing the update and rebooting, it's the same thing other than Windows 10 not being mentioned. However there isn't exactly wide spread reports for Windows 10 unlike Windows 7 and 8.

News just in, old operating systems have some issues with new updates,  fixed expected within the week.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.