Cable Mod PSU SIze Issue

anthonyc813

Hello

As shown below is this ok? The cable mod 24 pin does not stretch across all plug ins on this corsair AX760 platinum. There is 4 open sockets (not sure what they are called). Can I use the cables I bought and plug them in as-is like this or should I get a different 24 pin? Thank you in advance

20190413_125544.jpg

No you can not use them. I would suggest NOT using any of the kit and use your stock cables as it seems you may have either ordered the wrong set or were shipped the wrong set. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

No you can not use them. I would suggest NOT using any of the kit and use your stock cables as it seems you may have either ordered the wrong set or were shipped the wrong set. 

thank you for the reply. what about the two 8 pins for my GPU? i honestly bought the kit for those two cables. I dont mind seeing the black 24pin again

Just now, anthonyc813 said:

thank you for the reply. what about the two 8 pins for my GPU? i honestly bought the kit for those two cables. I dont mind seeing the black 24pin again

If you were sent the wrong cables, the pinouts could be incorrect and could brick the GPU and/or PSU... I wouldnt risk it. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Pin-out positions on the end of the PSU may vary between vendors (and even between models from the same vendor). If you have a problem with the 24 pin layout, chances you may have an issue with the PCIe cables as well. Don't risk it.

Just now, Blai5e said:

Pin-out positions on the end of the PSU may vary between vendors (and even between models from the same vendor). If you have a problem with the 24 pin layout, chances you may have an issue with the PCIe cables as well. Don't risk it.

D'OH!!!!! ARGH

AXi and AX are different power supplies. They're in the same family, but OEM'd by different makers as mentioned in this post: 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

AXi and AX are different power supplies. They're in the same family, but OEM'd by different makers as mentioned in this post: 

Thanks for this. It does say on Cable Mods site this kit is OK with the AX760 just no 24pin. Have to buy that separate I am guessing... rather not kill my GPU though..

https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

1 minute ago, anthonyc813 said:

Thanks for this. It does say on Cable Mods site this kit is OK with the AX760 just no 24pin. Have to buy that separate I am guessing... rather not kill my GPU though..

https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

If you have any questions, @CableMod is present here on the forum as well. If you're absolutely sure the kit is said to be good from them, beyond the 24 pin, then should be good. I trust Cable Mod, they have been doing this for quite some time now and know what they're doing. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

27 minutes ago, anthonyc813 said:

Hello

As shown below is this ok? The cable mod 24 pin does not stretch across all plug ins on this corsair AX760 platinum. There is 4 open sockets (not sure what they are called). Can I use the cables I bought and plug them in as-is like this or should I get a different 24 pin? Thank you in advance

You got the wrong cable set.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

That AX is old.  You could just buy a newer PSU.  ;)

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

You got the wrong cable set.

That AX is old.  You could just buy a newer PSU.  ;)

I have 3 pretty decent PSU's laying around... Corsair AX760 Plat, XFX XTR 850 Gold and an old Antec High Current Pro 750. No need for a new one. they all work. Just wanted single 8pins running to my new-ish Vega

JonnyGURU is another great source as well. He works for Corsair as well and is considered a god in the PSU world. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

10 minutes ago, anthonyc813 said:

Website said this kit was for this AX760 or my XFX XTR 850 gold

20190413_131420.jpg

You bought the wrong cable kit. The AXi and AX are different series. The AX uses a 24pin motherboard connector that is unique to that series and isn't used on other Corsair models.

image.png.82430d9ba5b289be7f3c497591e5421e.png
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/psu-cable-compatibility

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If you have any questions, @CableMod is present here on the forum as well. If you're absolutely sure the kit is said to be good from them, beyond the 24 pin, then should be good. I trust Cable Mod, they have been doing this for quite some time now and know what they're doing. 

Do I pm them or will they see this thread over the at mention?

Just now, anthonyc813 said:

Do I pm them or will they see this thread over the at mention?

Since I tagged them, they should see it when they visit. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

@anthonyc813 you need to purchase the RMi/RMx series for compatibility actually. The only difference is the 24-pin ATX cable, the remaining cables would be compatible. Email Support@CableMod.com and our support team can assist you with getting the correct 24-pin ATX cable.

4 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@anthonyc813 you need to purchase the RMi/RMx series for compatibility actually. The only difference is the 24-pin ATX cable, the remaining cables would be compatible. Email Support@CableMod.com and our support team can assist you with getting the correct 24-pin ATX cable.

Uhhhhhhhh....

The AXi/HXi/RM cable kits are all Type 3 cables with Type 3 24pin motherboard connector.
The RMi/RMx cables are Type 4 with Type 4 24pin motherboard connector, except for the SATA/PATA cables which are Type 3.

Type 3 and Type 4 PCIe and EPS12V connectors are compatible. The main difference between the two is the presence of in-line capacitors. For PCIe and EPS12V cables you can use the Type 4 cables in a Type 3 PSU and vice versa.
Type 3 and Type 4 24pin motherboard connectors are not compatible*.

The AX760 uses Type 3 for PCIe, EPS12V, and SATA/PATA... The only difference from the AXi/HXi/RM is the motherboard 24pin connector which is unique to the original AX series.
So whether or not they have the AXi/HXi/RM kit or the RMx/RMi kit the EPS12V, PCIe, and SATA/PATA cables will still be compatible. The problem is that in both kits the motherboard connector is not compatible with the AX and would need to be purchased separately.

There's a new AX series on the market with the AX Titanium series (AX850, AX1000). Looking at the modular panel with the 18+10pin motherboard connector it appears as if might be using Type4 cables, but would need confirmation in case the pinout is different (doubt it since Corsair has been standardising their PSU cables, but never know).

@jonnyGURU Now the new AX PSUs are out might need to get Corsair to update the PSU compatibility chart to add the new AX Titanium units.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

@jonnyGURU Now the new AX PSUs are out might need to get Corsair to update the PSU compatibility chart to add the new AX Titanium units.

Yes.  I know.  Several emails have gone out concerning fixing and editing that page.  Still waiting for something to get done.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, CableMod said:

OK thank you for replying!