PSU makes loud noises

urdadsfave

hello ltt forum,

im on a budget, picked up a 40 dollar case that came with a power supply. i never intended for it to be permanent, i thought it would do until i could find a proper power supply.

i pick up parts as i can afford them, so the pc is incrementally being upgraded. the power supply was working fine, and it slipped my mind that i should actually find a better one. the fans were loud, but it was fine.

so today, i powered it up business as usual, and it starts making these noises. the best way i can describe the sound is like a lawnmower failing.

i panicked, turned it off, and waited a few hours. i turned it back on, and it didn't make the noise. the fans started running without any problems.

i know it was the power supply because in my unreasonably panicked dash to unplug it, i'm 99% sure it was the source of the noise.

a new power supply is currently top priority of course, but can/should i continue to use it until i can get the new power supply in a couple weeks or so? is it more of a problem than i realize? that might sound goofy but i'm new to this and i'm just a little baby.

thank you!

honestly, I know a new build is awesome and you want to use it so bad but i would hold off until you get your new PSU.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

alright, thanks for the responses! i'm keeping it off and quiet and safe.

2 hours ago, urdadsfave said:

m on a budget, picked up a 40 dollar case that came with a power supply.

Big mistake!

PSU in cases are pretty low quality usually and the worst of the worst.

Can you send the Case/PSU Combo back where it came from and get something better instead??

A Cardbord with a 50€ PSU would be way better, though not as convenient...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I actually have had a similar problem, which was easily fixed with a little DIY.

I have a PSU that came with the case, that I've been using forever.

The fan on the back of the PSU made that same noise you described, and to fix it, I just stuck something in it to stop it from spinning. Never had any issues with it to this day. Occasionally i'll un-clog the PSU, just to give it a breath of fresh air. I'm a nice owner.

I wouldn't suggest doing what I did if you have a high power PSU, but if it's a crappy one and you're getting a new one anyways, go for it.

- Pandesu

4 hours ago, AHybridPandesu said:

I actually have had a similar problem, which was easily fixed with a little DIY.

I have a PSU that came with the case, that I've been using forever.

The fan on the back of the PSU made that same noise you described, and to fix it, I just stuck something in it to stop it from spinning. Never had any issues with it to this day. Occasionally i'll un-clog the PSU, just to give it a breath of fresh air. I'm a nice owner.

Image result for shocked meme

10 hours ago, AHybridPandesu said:

Its a wonder your house didn't burn down or the PSU explode...

and its still alive...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its a wonder your house didn't burn down or the PSU explode...

and its still alive...

It's a PSU that came with the PC Case. When I "un-clog" the fan, the air coming out of it is mildly warm.

And yes, it is still alive after 2 years of this.

And it's been running for 7 years before that