Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdalphin92

Replacing Poweredge Server

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm looking at replacing a couple of network devices as well.  I've got an aging NAS device as well as a Poweredge 2900 (900w constant draw) that I'm wanting to replace with a lower powered replacement.  I've got a few older AMD rigs sitting in my garage taking up space that I can use their guts for the build, but I'm looking for some advice as to what peripherals I should consider adding.  I'm wanting RAID and hot-swapability.  What bits of hardware should I look for?  Any recommendations on enclosures for the hardware?  

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

budget? What is this server doing?

What parts do you have from the old rigs?

Id get a newer dell server like a dell r720 personally.

Haven't really calculated a budget.

How is the R720 for power draw?  

Mainly using it as a low latency, high bandwith, streaming and storage server with the occasional VM usage.  As for what I have out of old rigs, I've got everything but RAID controllers and a hot-swappable cage and back plane.

19 minutes ago, jdalphin92 said:

Haven't really calculated a budget.

How is the R720 for power draw?  

Mainly using it as a low latency, high bandwith, streaming and storage server with the occasional VM usage.  As for what I have out of old rigs, I've got everything but RAID controllers and a hot-swappable cage and back plane.

r720s use much less power, about 150w idle, depending on config.

If you want super low power, get something like a ryzen 2700, or a xeon d system.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

r720s use much less power, about 150w idle, depending on config.

If you want super low power, get something like a ryzen 2700, or a xeon d system.

Are the 720's relatively quiet at idle/minor load?  It'll be sitting in my office.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

yeathere not bad, but if you want silent get something else.

Is it worthwhile to piece together the parts necessary to convert an old tower to a what I'm looking for, or just pick up a factory server?

11 minutes ago, jdalphin92 said:

Is it worthwhile to piece together the parts necessary to convert an old tower to a what I'm looking for, or just pick up a factory server?

What exact parts do you have?

Im guessing there older than you want and you will probalby have to buy new anyways.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What exact parts do you have?

Im guessing there older than you want and you will probalby have to buy new anyways.

They are older...I don't remember exact specs, but they're not too terribly archaic.  AMD quad cores, DDR3 memory...not terrible.

15 minutes ago, jdalphin92 said:

They are older...I don't remember exact specs, but they're not too terribly archaic.  AMD quad cores, DDR3 memory...not terrible.

then you could use one of those systems, but there getting a bit slow for a vm server.

But there really aren't many parts you can reuse from them.