Galaxy A80 revealed - up, down, round and around

Djole123

Samsung just debuted the Galaxy A80, a midrange phone with one of the most interesting camera setups in years.

image.thumb.png.608a98ac3fff329c84625d6b591012a7.png

(p.s Sorry for the short text, I woke up at 7AM and it's half past 12AM now so i reaaaaally wanna go to sleep)

So, the A80 is powered by the new Snapdragon 730 chipset, which is the new midrange chip from Qualcomm, check this forum post for more info:

Spoiler

The display is a full, notchless, massive 6.7 inch AMOLED display with a 1080p resolution (it's still 393 ppi so the lower res is a non issue), and here comes the star of the show, the camera.

It's a triple camera setup with a 48MP main camera with an f/2.0 aperture (though at this high of a resolution they should've gone for a bit faster aperture IMO, but we'll see), an 8MP f/2.2 aperture and a third time-of-flight sensor, and it shoots 2160p30 video. What about the selfie cam? Well, the rear cameras pop out of the phone, then swivel 180 degrees so you now have that full 48MP f/2.0 camera for selfies!

I love this step. It's a win win for both people who don't capture selfies all that much (since they don't have that stupid cutout at the top) and for the ones who do because they get the full quality sensor.

The phone has one drawback, and that's price. At an eye-watering 700 euros, it's more expensive than the likes of OnePlus or Huawei who have implemented or will implement a 48MP camera with a faster chipset. Though, for the anti-notch people, I think the A80 is actually the only choice if they want both the convenience of having no notch and the full 48MP selfies. We'll see how it goes.

Source:

https://www.geek.com/tech/the-samsung-galaxy-a80-has-a-camera-that-does-backflips-1782694/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Wait...

Are smartphones regressing to the kind that slid up to reveal the buttons?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Nowak said:

For those who care:

No headphone jack or SD card slot.

Aaaaaaand fuck this phone. :D

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

For those wondering

700 euros equal

1,105.72 aud

1056.66 canadian dollar

792.37 USD

✨FNIGE✨

5 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

For those wondering

700 euros equal

1,105.72 aud

1056.66 canadian dollar

792.37 USD

Just looked up the S10+ for reference.  The 128GB model is $999 in the US ... and 999€ here.  So EUR to USD is actually pretty much 1/1

6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Just looked up the S10+ for reference.  The 128GB model is $999 in the US ... and 999€ here.  So EUR to USD is actually pretty much 1/1

Shall be vpn time then

✨FNIGE✨

56 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Wait...

Are smartphones regressing to the kind that slid up to reveal the buttons?

We have entered the never ending cycle of recycling.
old becomes new, news becomes old. 
rince and repeat.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

51 minutes ago, Nowak said:

For those who care:

Lack of SD card is fine. Lack of headphone jack? Doesn't surprise me, I expect the Galaxy S11 to not have one. Companies follow Apple. They like to pretend that they laugth at them, but they just follow. They see the money that they can make, and can't pass it

I hope people don't actually buy this as long as those spesific features isn't something you really want. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Lack of SD card is fine. Lack of headphone jack? Doesn't surprise me, I expect the Galaxy S11 to not have one. Companies follow Apple. They like to pretend that they laugth at them, but they just follow. They see the money that they can make, and can't pass it

tbf GoodBytes, people were expecting Samsung to follow Apple with the S10, but the S10 ended up retaining the jack.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

tbf GoodBytes, people were expecting Samsung to follow Apple with the S10, but the S10 ended up retaining the jack.

Headphone Jack = Premium Feature?

✨FNIGE✨

27 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Remeber when Samsung used to take the piss about what Apple was lacking compared to the Galaxy line of phones?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

When midrange phones cost $1000 CAD. That's rough.... Especially when the base S10 is literally the same price.(well, almost... like 50$ more... The S10e is just a bit more than 900$ too)

Here's hoping that ridiculous price tag is the one carriers are putting on it and not what the phone itself is selling for. (For example, Bell is selling the S10 for over 1500$)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

When midrange phones cost $1000 CAD. That's rough.... Especially when the base S10 is literally the same price.(well, almost... like 50$ more... The S10e is just a bit more than 900$ too)

Here's hoping that ridiculous price tag is the one carriers are putting on it and not what the phone itself is selling for. (For example, Bell is selling the S10 for over 1500$)

Apple has pushed the model of "perceived value" to smartphones. The industry saw it works and follows.

On top of things, consumers loves getting plans that pay their phone over time. Manufcature got this, and so a 300$ increase on the price is 8.33$ per month more on a 3 year contract, for example. So massive increase in companies profits margins, and the consumer doesn't feel it much, and don't mind it thanks to great marketing.

And another point:

4 hours ago, Nowak said:

For those who care:

If you’re buying a $700 phone I think you can afford some nice wireless buds 

Given its A series branding, I was expecting this to be a much cheaper device. The lack of SD card doesn't really bother me, in my experience the SD storage space management is not a good experience. I really hope Samsung sticks with the headphone jack in future phones though

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, floofer said:

If you’re buying a $700 phone I think you can afford some nice wireless buds 

And if you're buying a $700 phone you probably have some nice wired headphones too.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And if you're buying a $700 phone you probably have some nice wired headphones too.

Who actually uses headphones with a phone though lets get real. When you’re out and about you get earphones. 

That just looks like adding a lot more complexity to the phone, meaning more stuff to collect dust, dirt, all sorts of stuff, then break. I'd rather a notch than a complicated slide out/flip around setup that breaks over time.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

19 minutes ago, floofer said:

Who actually uses headphones with a phone though lets get real. When you’re out and about you get earphones. 

My 1000XM2 would like to have a word 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Nowak said:

For those who care:

This doesn't really surprise me. A few of the Galaxy Axx phones have no jack.

Don't know why as the higher end S10 has it alongside the lower end models. So that's odd. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1