Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fin the Human

Dear Linus...

Posted · Original PosterOP

Dear @LinusTech,
      I have been very disappointed with your recent content.  It is seeming more and more like some tech linked styled vlog.  There is little in-depth analysis or technical explanation.  The old spark that made your channel so great has been lost.  I have been watching for two years and used to love every video.  While the production quality has gone up, every other aspect I feel has gone down.  I know that you have to appeal to the spoiled Fortnite playing 10-year old, but I feel like you have lost your core audience.  No other tech youtube channel had the same magic that you guys have.  I really hope you guys can change your style back to the way it used to be.  Even though your classic content wasn't designed for a broad audience, it sure as hell appealed to one.  Thank you for all of the amazing content.

image.jpeg.d95ee2f9e7552f0f0abedd6782886ffb.jpeg

PC 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X    GPU: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 1080

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4    SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair CX750M V2   HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 3TB 7200RPM

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400STG Red/Black   MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac

OS: Windows 10 Pro  Keyboard:  Corsair K68 Red  Mouse:  Logitech G502 Hero 

PC 2:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770    GPU: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB   SSD: Kingston A400 120GB

RAM: 1x8GB Adata 1600MHz DDR3   HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 5400RPM

PSU: Corsair VS450     Case: NZXT H440 Red/Black  MOBO: Intel BOXDH77EB H77    

OS: Windows 10 Home  Keyboard:  Rii RK100  Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB

PC 3:

CPU: Intel Pentium E5800   GPU: AMD HD6450 512MB

RAM: 1x2GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM

PSU: Sparkle-Power 300W     Case: Nobilis Micro ATX OEM  MOBO: Intel DG41WV 775   

OS: Windows 10 Home  Keyboard:  Apple A1048  Mouse:  Rosewill Fusion C40

PC 4:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500   GPU: AMD HD8490 1GB

RAM: 2x2GB Apacer 1333MHz DDR3    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM

PSU: Generic HP 300W     Case: Nobilis Micro ATX OEM  MOBO: Intel DG31PR 775   

OS: Ubuntu LTS 18.04  Keyboard:  Microsoft RT2300  Mouse:  Rosewill Fusion C40

MAC:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3615QM    GPU: Intel HD4000

RAM: 2x2GB Crucial 1600MHz DDR3    HDD: WD 1TB 5400RPM

PSU: Mac Mini PSU   Case: Mac Mini Case   MOBO: Mac Mini Motherboard    

OS: macOS "Mojave"  Keyboard:  Apple MB110LL/A   Mouse:  Logitech M325

Consoles: Wii, SNES, NES, N64, Atari 7800, Commodore VIC-20, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and Steam Link.

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback Limited (Red)

It's the same old Linus dude, you're just burned out. Happens when you watch one content creator for so many years.

I'm a newer viewer, certainly not a spoiled fortnite 10 year old, his content is pretty authentic and enthusiastic to me 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, group reg is bad

1. If you're going to criticize and you want your feedback to be taken seriously, keep it objective and factual. Saying things like "yeah man, now they're focused on quantity over quality" isn't helpful because we OBJECTIVELY output the SAME number of videos we ever have. Since LMG's inception, we've done 7-8 uploads per week on LTT. Period.

2. Thumbnails and titles have nothing to do with the video quality, and they are NOT targeting "kids". Our demographics are more heavily skewed towards adults than the grouping of "similar channels" YT compared us to in a recent consultation session with them. You can keep saying this, but it's not a thing, so put it out of your mind. We use the titling/thumbnail strategies we do because if we didn't we'd be taking a deep hit to our viewership. I think it's stupid, but unfortunately my feelings don't change anything about reality.

3. No, we're not what we used to be. Want to know why? Because I got bored of fans and power supplies. If you're still into it, that's super cool, but I'm not. The great news is that for content about fans and power supplies there are more resources now than there ever were before. I actually LOVE that so many other content creators have shot up from the woodwork to take our place in categories where I just didn't have the passion anymore.

4. We're doing our best, but had you stopped to consider that maybe YOU aren't as interested in tech anymore?... because it's gotten less interesting? The industry just isn't moving as fast as it was 10 years ago.. I was reading an in-depth review of the display of the Galaxy S10 where the reviewer was talking about some of the changes they'd made to gamma curves to preserve more shadow detail and I was like "hmm this is pretty cool", but from the average person's perspective IS it? Compared to the shift from TN to IPS to OLED does it REALLY matter? Does your aunt give a shit?

In the enterprise space where connectivity speeds are still growing at an incredible rate and the ongoing AI revolution is changing the way people interact with each other there's plenty of cool stuff going on, but the problem is that you can't hold it in your hand and the best you can hope for is a die shrink and 5-10% efficiency bump with each passing year (if that). Thank goodness for AMD because otherwise we'd have had jack-all to talk about in the PC space for the last couple of years

Hope this helps :)

@fasauceome Linus seems to disagree.

Things change. Do I like them? Nope. Is there anything I can do about it? Nope.

Think of it this way - if they reverted to their old content, they'd most likly have to lay off some of the staff, which I'm sure linus doesn't want to do.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

the man himself is what he used to be, he's just doing new things.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, group reg is bad

Yeah but the game has changed now. Every channel suits a different person's needs. If you want proper analysis, you go to Gamers Nexus. If you want the basics, you go for Linus, because he's the big channel and it's his duty to appeal to the new people coming in. And the rest fit somewhere in between that spectrum. That's why it's worth using all the different tech channels, they all provide something unique and you should take advantage of it.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

the man himself is what he used to be, he's just doing new things.

I don't think OP is talking about Linus himself, but the content - the persona - he gives off in videos.

All most people know of linus is from the videos he created. With a shift in content, how they perceive Linus will change.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Here's a question then, would you rather watch a Collins Key video or an LTT video? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Yamaha HPH-MT5 headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Loving the last videos. Especially the toothpaste and water cooled sink one haha

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

image.png.f233407037f9d6a1eb664862706ab091.png

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I've never understood these posts.  You know you can sub to more than one youtube channel right?  

Want to nerd out?  Level 1 Techs, etc.

Want to catch up on the latest products?  HW Unboxed etc.

Want technology based entertainment? LTT etc.  And yeah, I said etc there too.  There are other channels that make content in the same style as LTT, but I think LTT does it best.

Or maybe this is a personal thing?  Are you feeling betrayed because LTT doesn't make content that you like anymore?  Not joking, I'm actually curious.  

There are only so many ways you can talk about tech before sounds like the same boring info you already know and heard a million times

While I like and perhaps even prefer the raw enthusiasm of Linus' earlier works... that's not sustainable. 
I'm not as energetic and enthusiastic as I was 10 years ago and neither is Linus. People get families. Linus takes few breaks. The industry itself has changed. I think Linus is doing a good job of trying to keep himself from burning out all things considered. He probably needs to take a month or two sabbatical to recharge... and that's nearly impossible to actually pull off. 

All things considered LTT is doing well given the current macro-environment and the staff they have. 

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

Like any businessman, Linus understands that in order to keep up with the mmarke you have to move with the times. You can't do this by continually making the same stuff, so you have to constantly change to stay in the flow. I've been watching his stuff on and off since the NCIX days and think that his stuff is better now than ever. He's really managed to hone in on his audience.

Like are you actually watching YouTube for in-depth analysis, or for entertainment? I see LinusTechTips as a top gear of tech, still has some nitty gritty tech stuff, but it's more about the entertainment value.

*Linus after reading this kind of topic over and over*

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, the industry changed and if they weren't doing a good job then they won't be in this position today.

The way people present their content will always change whether you like it or not, those who stick to one style for their whole career become boring and repetitive, that's not how you improve as a content creator.

50 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Things change. Do I like them? Nope. Is there anything I can do about it? Nope.

Think of it this way - if they reverted to their old content, they'd most likly have to lay off some of the staff, which I'm sure linus doesn't want to do.

The subject of the content has changed, but Linus and crew haven't - at least not for the worse. I agree with him that the nth PSU review isn't that interesting after so many years. Yes, someone probably should make that content - but I think it's better left to smaller creators who have a crew of 3-4 people. It's easier to write and shoot and it can be very informative when you're trying to make a purchase decision. LTT however has always been more about entertainment than just a bunch of infomercials on various products, even when they were literally making ncix infomercials.

Honestly, as a long time viewer I have the opposite problem from OP; everything feels like I've seen it before or I can predict the outcome because a lot of it has been done to death. I'm glad they're differentiating themselves and no longer review a bunch of virtually identical laptops or phones which are going to be outdated in a year, or cases and power supplies that beyond a certain point are functionally just as good as any to the end user. I'd be lying if I said I like ALL the new content, but with more than a video per day that's bound to happen and that was just as true 8 years ago.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

oops i don't like his new content, i must be wrong and just hate linus and friends.

PC 1:

PC 2:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770    GPU: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB   SSD: Kingston A400 120GB

PC 3:

PC 4:

MAC:

Consoles: Wii, SNES, NES, N64, Atari 7800, Commodore VIC-20, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and Steam Link.

Personally, I see LTT as the "fuck shit up" kind of channel where they'll just experiment with really stupid stuff and make what's usually a good video out of it. I like that about LTT honestly. There's always something someone wants to try, but doesn't have the money to do it. If it's crazy enough (think cement cooled PC) they'll do it and you'll have your answer. If you want in depth tech analysis, go to any-other tech channel on YouTube. Sure other YouTubers will do crazy things like cool a PC with a motorbike radiator, but will they hook it up to a kitchen sink and use mustard as thermal compound? That's what I love most about LTT, they take something that's literally stupid to their test bench, break something, and the whole time make a chaotic atmosphere that's enjoyable. I think LTT has changed too, from an in-depth tech channel to let's build a PC out of parts that are incompatible, let's take apart and liquid cool a fucking cinema camera, let's throw a convention that doesn't make us profit but makes people happy, brings together an amazing community/group of people, and like us (and like others). It's not bad at all, just different. I don't think it's wrong of you to dislike where this has gone, you want the Linus that drove your passion for these videos back. But that Linus is still here, he's still rockin' those socks and sandals, and he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Just the stuff they create is different, and that's okay because it's still his stuff, ya know?

Couldn't have said it any better than @TempestCatto, and I get paid to write.

As many if not all "celebrities", LMG has become a parody of itself. The difference between LMG and Miley Cirus is that at least LMG looks good ass backwards.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Motherboard Tier List

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Thinkpad T430. Specs to come, too lazy atm

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

oops i don't like his new content, i must be wrong and just hate linus and friends.

The thing is, you're not the first person to make a post about it and you're certainly not the last one to do so, this shit got old the second time someone complained.

There are a lot of tech channels on YouTube, you're not being forced to stick to just one.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

what did he do to you now ._.

Just making a point. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Yamaha HPH-MT5 headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

9 hours ago, lewdicrous said:
15 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

The thing is, you're not the first person to make a post about it and you're certainly not the last one to do so, this shit got old the second time someone complained.

There are a lot of tech channels on YouTube, you're not being forced to stick to just one.

I understand that there are other channels, but LTT is the original (at least to get it right). Maybe this isn't the first post because there actually has been a change...  

PC 1:

PC 2:

PC 3:

PC 4:

MAC:

1 minute ago, Finwillwin said:

I understand that there are other channels, but LTT is the original (at least to get it right).

There are better channels for information, when compared to LTT, maybe they're not as entertaining, but they're informative.

2 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Maybe this isn't the first post because there actually has been a change...  

We all know they changed and it's not like Linus is hiding that fact..