Replace chassis fans

NickToye

Hi,  I have a Falcon GameMax case and it has LED fans already, these are connected I believe to the front I/O due to the fan controllers, am I limited to these, or can I replace them.  I can't tell if I can remove them or not without taking off the electrics.

if they still use the typical 3pin or 4pin connector, then you can replace it while keeping the controllers function with a new fan. Otherwise just connect the fan to the board or PSU through the molex connector (might need adapter for the latter), no big deal

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

It looks like the fans are removable in the front. Just remove the screws that attach the fan to the case and traces the wire back to the controller then unplug the fan. 

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

if they still use the typical 3pin or 4pin connector, then you can replace it while keeping the controllers function with a new fan. Otherwise just connect the fan to the board or PSU through the molex connector (might need adapter for the latter), no big deal

It looks like it uses a 4pin connector and a Molex connector as the power for the fan/controller.

edit: Just noticed you (kinda) stated that. ?

Yeah, open the back side panel open the front side panel and there will be a controller with the fan headers connecting to the front fans. Remove the 3 or 4 pin connectors on the controller only.  Do not remove the larger ribbon cable at the very top of the controller.

Does that mean the fan controllers on the top will become redundant?

50 minutes ago, NickToye said:

Does that mean the fan controllers on the top will become redundant?

Where at the top of the controller? Take a picture and circle where you are referring to. 

No, it will be fine. The fans work the same as regular fans.

so I can get 2 new fans and connect them instead of what is there?

1 minute ago, NickToye said:

so I can get 2 new fans and connect them instead of what is there?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

Yes.

can you recommend any decent Corsair RGB fans to get?  I have 3 slots available in total.

2 minutes ago, NickToye said:

can you recommend any decent Corsair RGB fans to get?  I have 3 slots available in total.

Are you using them for watercooling or for Case cooling?

44 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

Are you using them for watercooling or for Case cooling?

Just case, I already have the h80i cooler for the cpu, 

Just to check i would need to remove this circuit board to then attach my new fans to it?

11E88C46-BAEA-46F3-81B0-782629AE83E2.jpeg

15 hours ago, NickToye said:

Just to check i would need to remove this circuit board to then attach my new fans to it?

-snip-

Absolutely not. Leave the circuit board there.

image.png.bb831f81785da265020ce30fd6911439.png

You can plug any extra 3 pin fans into the hub and control their speed with the front panel switch, but if you want those fans to be controlled via RGB, you'll need specific fans (Corsair fans will not work) that have the 5 pin headers. I dont know of any off the top of my head that do sadly. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ok, so basically I'm stuck with these then?

14 hours ago, NickToye said:

Ok, so basically I'm stuck with these then?

Unless you were to rip out the Fan/RGB hub and case fans and use a completely new RGB ecosystem, yes. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 4/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, TVwazhere said:

Absolutely not. Leave the circuit board there.

image.png.bb831f81785da265020ce30fd6911439.png

You can plug any extra 3 pin fans into the hub and control their speed with the front panel switch, but if you want those fans to be controlled via RGB, you'll need specific fans (Corsair fans will not work) that have the 5 pin headers. I dont know of any off the top of my head that do sadly. 

Just to verify, could I connect new fans to the board, and the fan controls to this circuit board?

On 4/16/2019 at 2:13 PM, TVwazhere said:

Unless you were to rip out the Fan/RGB hub and case fans and use a completely new RGB ecosystem, yes. 

Actually, that could be done without doing much ripping out, just detach them from the fan controllers, and don't bother using those slide controls on the top.

4 minutes ago, NickToye said:

Just to verify, could I connect new fans to the board, and the fan controls to this circuit board?

Yes you could buy any other fans and either connect them directly to the fan control portion of the box (note than your purchased fans would need to be 3 pin, not 4 pin "PWM" fans) or simply plug all the new fans into the motherboard, and let the motherboard software control the new fans. If the new fans come with RGB LED's, they cannot be controlled through the case's controller hub and would either need to use a separate hub, or if your motherboard has RGB headers on it, it would most likely plug into those. You would need to check both if your motherboard has RGB headers, AND if those fans support the RGB ecosystem (Asus Aura, MSI Mystic Light, etc) 

Just now, NickToye said:

Actually, that could be done without doing much ripping out, just detach them from the fan controllers, and don't bother using those slide controls on the top.

I'm assuming the fans in the case do not have the standard 3 or 4 pin fan header though, so I do not think you can plug those fans directly into your motherboard for example. I think those fans included with the case NEED the included controller to even spin, let alone control their LED's :( 

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Yes you could buy any other fans and either connect them directly to the fan control portion of the box (note than your purchased fans would need to be 3 pin, not 4 pin "PWM" fans) or simply plug all the new fans into the motherboard, and let the motherboard software control the new fans. If the new fans come with RGB LED's, they cannot be controlled through the case's controller hub and would either need to use a separate hub, or if your motherboard has RGB headers on it, it would most likely plug into those. You would need to check both if your motherboard has RGB headers, AND if those fans support the RGB ecosystem (Asus Aura, MSI Mystic Light, etc) 

I'm assuming the fans in the case do not have the standard 3 or 4 pin fan header though, so I do not think you can plug those fans directly into your motherboard for example. I think those fans included with the case NEED the included controller to even spin, let alone control their LED's :( 

Well I'm not against the idea of replacing all 3 fans that came with the case and go for 2 corsair rgb ones as I already have the corsair cooler with fans, although they are not RGB, but I like iCUE and I have other corsair products, so it would make sense.  My board has CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 headers I can plug in to.

1 minute ago, NickToye said:

Well I'm not against the idea of replacing all 3 fans that came with the case and go for 2 corsair rgb ones as I already have the corsair cooler with fans, although they are not RGB, but I like iCUE and I have other corsair products, so it would make sense.  My board has CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 headers I can plug in to.

You could definitely do that. However your front fan speed switches wouldnt control anything, as they would all be controlled by the motherboard through one of Corsair's Fan hubs (Not sure if they would come with the fans though, I guess it depends on what you buy.) Thier fan hub would probably connect to a Usb 2.0 header, which would provide the signal for the speed of the fans as well as the LED color (both dome through the iCUE software) so you wouldnt have to uses your CHA_FAN# headers at all.

Also necessary @Corsair Nick tag