April Windows update causes system to freeze or hang upon restart

matt-fr

Edit 2 :

An other problem, related to the update, is also happening.

It affects, Windows 7 and 10, and slows down computers.

Original topic :

The April 2019, Windows update, KB4493472, caused problems to computers with Windows 7/8 and servers with Windows Servers 2008/2012, with Sophos Endpoint Protection installed (managed by either Sophos Central or Sophos Enterprise Console).

It caused the system to freeze or hang upon restart after installing this update. The device doesn't reach the user log on screen.

Working for an IT company selling Sophos Antivirus protections, we had lots of tickets this week ?

The solution is to restart the device in "Safe Mode". After which, or the update fails and there is a rollback, or it boots in safe mode and you can uninstall that update in command line.

wusa /uninstall /kb:4493472

Microsoft and Sophos have identified an issue on devices with Sophos Endpoint Protection installed and managed by either Sophos Central or Sophos Enterprise Console (SEC) that may cause the system to freeze or hang upon restart after installing this update.

[...]

Microsoft has temporarily blocked devices from receiving this update if the Sophos Endpoint is installed until a solution is available. For more information see the Sophos support article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4493472/windows-7-update-kb4493472

Sophos Central Endpoint and SEC: Computers fail/hang on boot after the Microsoft Windows April 9, 2019 update

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/133945

Edit 1 :

Users of Avast and Avira are also impacted.

Avast customers with Avast for Business and Avast Cloud Care, primarily on Windows 7, have reported machines becoming "stuck or frozen on the login/Welcome screen". Some users cannot log in at all, while other users can log in after a "very extended period of time". 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-7-problems-microsoft-blocks-april-updates-to-systems-at-risk-of-freezing/

Some users have also reported similar symptoms on machines running both free and paid versions of Avira's antivirus products. Avira said it has been able to reproduce the error, and that it "is occurring because of a current Windows update."

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-recent-windows-update-is-locking-up-some-pcs-heres-a-temporary-fix/

April 2019, Windows update on Win 7/8...... Like really??

They are about to be vanished, locked in a box, thrown in the see and throw the key so hard to escape orbit 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Sounds like it's your software that's causing the problem if it's isolated to computers with it installed. Also, I've never heard of it before. Almost sounds like some kind of hidden advertisement given the mention of working for the company and the emphasis on the software you're selling.

How many on this forum are using this software for it to be relevant? ?

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

How many on this forum are using this software for it to be relevant?

33 minutes ago, Kherm said:

how is this relevant?

As someone who works in the computer repair field, I find it very relevant.  I realize I'm not the majority, still it is some useful information.

Edited the first post to add that some Avast and Avira customers are also impacted.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

How many on this forum are using this software for it to be relevant? ?

39 minutes ago, Kherm said:

how is this relevant?

These antivirus protections (Sophos and Avast for Business) are used primarly in businesses, and this problem can affect servers.

It can freeze a whole company for several hours/days, and can make them lose a lot of money.

I don't know who's fault it is here (antivirus companies or Microsoft), but this is pretty bad.

44 minutes ago, matt-fr said:

Edited the first post to add that some Avast and Avira customers are also impacted.

Ouch, sounds somewhat similar to an update pushed a few years back on W7 that didn't play nice with a protection software.

It was o so lovely. /s

Update came down, and bam, all 150 client machines would hang a thread to 100% and crash IE and the desktop UI.  Thankfully, was before the start of the excerises and missions.  The bad, that was a long night trying to figure out what the hell happened and to fix it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Firing their entire internal testing team sure is doing wonders for Microsoft

/s

2yg06q.jpg.26cd2854b2c378644732bedd75e18e3c.jpg

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

see

3 hours ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

*sea

said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

They are about to be vanished, locked in a box, thrown in the see and throw the key so hard to escape orbit 

1 hour ago, Kherm said:

how is this relevant?

How is it not? If a particular news item in the Tech News forum doesn't apply to you, does that make it become irrelevant to the forum?

2485221_Desktopmarketsharebyversion.thumb.jpg.ce96af9ecd2770045e8bdb7eb1ef21a5.jpg

March 2019 desktop OS market share:

Windows 10 - 43.62%

Windows 7 - 36.52%

Windows 8.1 - 4.13%

There are about the same number of computers running either Windows 7 or 8 as there are running Windows 10.

Lots of people are still using Windows 7, and there will still be lots of people using Windows 7 after security updates end for most people in January 2020 (though they'll continue to be available until 2023).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Sounds like a typical Windows update to me.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

Still very common OS , especially in business.

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Sounds like a typical Windows update to me.

FTFY.

Issues like this effect every update from every OS more often than people wish to acknowledge. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This damn update made me think my soundcard (Creative SoundBlaster Z) was dead - it did not show up in my Device Manager anymore after Windows seemed to halt for about two minutes at bootup. I pulled the card from my machine, uninstalled the drivers and because nothing of that worked, I reinstalled my Windows 10.... only to discover, that switching from Avira Free Edition back to the Windows Defender would have solved all my problems for the time being.

Have to put the soundcard back into my PC to see whether it works now or whether this is an additional incompatibility with the SB drivers..

Rhaaaaaaa ?

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

They should remove mandatory or automatic updates and bring back it back to the way it was for W7.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

33 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

"only on devices with Sophos installed"..... and this is Microsoft's fault how?

Because it's Microsoft's update.  These are not niche software apps.  Lots of people use them.  Should car manufacturers only recall vehicles with problems that have Pioneer stereos?  

18 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

Because it's Microsoft's update.  These are not niche software apps.  Lots of people use them.  Should car manufacturers only recall vehicles with problems that have Pioneer stereos?  

Any why should Microsoft have to walk around third party software to provide an update? 

This has nothing to do with your example, its more of "the manufacturer fixed an issue with the airbag but your pioneer you installed prevents its from deploying". 

Big fucking surprise. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

And this is why I always double check to make sure my Windows update service is disabled after each thread made about a new Windows update on the way.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Any why should Microsoft have to walk around third party software to provide an update? 

This has nothing to do with your example, its more of "the manufacturer fixed an issue with the airbag but your pioneer you installed prevents its from deploying". 

Reminds me of that bicycle meme where the dude puts a stick in his own forks and blames something, in this case the stick is a 3rd party software issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, Ringthane said:

Most AV software are heavily criticized for not following Microsoft recommendations for many things and violate many fundamental principles of 3rd party software kernel integration. This is why it's so common for AV software to break with updates and OS upgrades and why it's specifically mentioned, along with drivers, to make sure you have updated before doing such updates etc.

Microsoft simply cannot test every application out there, no matter how popular it may be. Follow the proper guidelines and this won't happen and it's the responsibility of those companies to test and validate their software not Microsoft's. This sort of thing shouldn't happen with general updates like this.

Edit:

If I remember correctly Symantec caused a privileged execution exploit a few years back, Windows Defender recently too. If you want to exploit a system look at AV software, if a system is going to break it's probably AV software. It's the digital double edge sword.