Icons for Subforums?

r2724r16
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

We updated to IPS4 at the end of January 2016.

Adding icons to subforums is sort of possible, but without quite a lot of effort we are limited to just the icons available in FontAwesome, which doesn't give enough variety to really make sense for forums.

It's definitely a nice idea, but it's not feasible at the moment.

Icons for Subforums  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should this forum have icons for the various subforums?

• Yes
    • No

Title says it all. And by 'subforum', I mean things like General Discussion, Tech News, Graphics Cards, Audio, etc.

Instead of having those weird-looking text message bubble things, I feel that this forum should have icons for the various subforums since they will help improve the overall look of the forum, and they may help newbies find the right subforum for their posts (since most newbies just post things in general discussion). 

Got the idea from the Tom's Hardware forum:

D9584857-F2AD-4768-AF66-BCC7A5D6BE23.thumb.jpeg.899b8cb0923330de18bc2a1be880a82a.jpeg

LTT forum (for comparison):

9F37DD45-0746-4820-9EB4-AAC6643A5762.thumb.jpeg.8f678e9bb157d37b050988b9c02bd7af.jpeg

I'm not really a web developer, but I don't think this'll be too hard to implement. I've also added a poll, so you people can express your opinion(s).

Also, if possible, please elaborate on why or why not you think icons should be added.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

It's been a while since this has been asked last. I need to see if I can find the previous thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It's been a while since this has been asked last. I need to see if I can find the previous thread.

Found the thread: 

Mortis said it's possible that icons could be added.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

27 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Found the thread: 

Mortis said it's possible that icons could be added.

Thats the one :D Might have been before forum was upgraded to current version, and I don't know why it wasn't implemented. It didn't have much opposition.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats the one :D Might have been before forum was upgraded to current version, and I don't know why it wasn't implemented. It didn't have much opposition.

It definitely was before the new version. New version went live in... 2017?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think this is a no-brainer, clearer visual difference is never a bad thing

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

24 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It definitely was before the new version. New version went live in... 2017?

2015 spring IIRC. I remember getting into alpha at the same time I started working part-time in October 2014.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

2015 spring IIRC. I remember getting into alpha at the same time I started working part-time in October 2014.

2015? It can't be that long. I know I wasn't active on forums for the first year or so and it went live after that. Were there 2 upgrades by any chance?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Love the idea!

Our local HTForum has them and it helps a lot to locate an specific subforum you need.

1345095311_CapturadeTela(33).png.385e5d8ab9d25e7c7379aee3c755fb7a.png

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

2015? It can't be that long. I know I wasn't active on forums for the first year or so and it went live after that. Were there 2 upgrades by any chance?

Floatplane has been there since 2016. Time does fly. There has been 2 major updates, yes. From vBulletin5 to IPB3 and then to IPB4. After that there has been some major patches, but those are still just patches. Last major change was when subforums got shuffled around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

IMO, the only reason that Icons should be added would be for non-native speakers; however, since the forum is English, I don't see any use except for aesthetic.

I do understand why people would like for 'em to get added; however, I'd prefer a more simple layout.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

@colonel_mortis @Whiskers any thoughts?

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Floatplane has been there since 2016. Time does fly. There has been 2 major updates, yes. From vBulletin5 to IPB3 and then to IPB4. After that there has been some major patches, but those are still just patches. Last major change was when subforums got shuffled around.

Man, I remember when Vessel was still being advertised in LTT videos....

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

We updated to IPS4 at the end of January 2016.

Adding icons to subforums is sort of possible, but without quite a lot of effort we are limited to just the icons available in FontAwesome, which doesn't give enough variety to really make sense for forums.

It's definitely a nice idea, but it's not feasible at the moment.

HTTP/2 203