Galaxy S10 5G (Korea) Can't Find 5G Without Rebooting

HarryNyquist

Delicious Sauce: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/04/11/2011s-problems-today-reports-say-galaxy-s10-5g-cant-reacquire-5g-signal-without-rebooting/

BusinessKorea reports that shortly after the first customers got their S10 5G units, a number of them said that on some occasions when the phone had to move between 5G and 4G, their data reception failed completely, whether on LG Uplus, KT, or SK Telecom. The users go on to say it has taken then several reboots to restore any cellular reception. This is in addition to other users airing their 5G growing pains like spotty signals and intense power consumption.

Samsung released a software update to the phones on April 6 to improve general reception while SK Telecom and LG Uplus put in new software at their cell sites. Those measures, however, have not appeared to immediately address the disconnection problem, but Samsung has stated that it has already done what it could do on its end.

I see AT&T intentionally misleading people with 5G "Evolution" (AKA 4G), Apple maybe not having 5G till 2021 due to the ongoing legal squabble with Qualcomm, and this...I think 5G is being pushed out way too fast. The article mentions this is "similar" to the 4G-3G handoff issues Verizon was having back when 4G was brand new in 2010. You'd think that, going off the fix to that problem that's been around for NINE YEARS, that transitioning from whatever-to-5G should not be a problem. Dare I blame shoddy QA again, but this time point the finger at Qualcomm?

I am shocked. Totally shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU.

Seriously did people expect a smooth 5G launch? Correct me if I'm wrong but the S10 is the first 5G phone that you actually can buy

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

31 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I am shocked. Totally shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU.

Seriously did people expect a smooth 5G launch? Correct me if I'm wrong but the S10 is the first 5G phone that you actually can buy

The 5g over the 24-80Ghz freq is going to have major signal strength issues.

The 5g over current LTE 600Mhz to 6Ghz will be usable but no where near the speed expected.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

on the bright side tho, unlike 4g you don't have to wait much long to get your file when it connects.

Details separate people.

38 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

The 5g over the 24-80Ghz freq is going to have major signal strength issues.

The 5g over current LTE 600Mhz to 6Ghz will be usable but no where near the speed expected.

It all depends on the infrastructure. Luckily seems that carriers decided to get on the 5G train more seriously than they did with 4G. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It all depends on the infrastructure. Luckily seems that carriers decided to get on the 5G train more seriously than they did with 4G. 

not really 20 Ghz+ has crap penetration, it physics.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

not really 20 Ghz+ has crap penetration, it physics.

Oh penetration yes. Luckily, according to few buddies in Ericsson, they are working on possible solutions like instead of big cell towers few smaller ones for 24GHz+ that would work together. Not sure how that will pan out. For indoor it will be mostly lower range freq. Mind you it is not even the speed, for which you really don't need 4G most of the times, it's coverage and cell tower saturation. If 5G can provide "prioritising speed" like it's promised, it's all that we need for most cases. 

Would still prefer more coverage for phone service. Still so many places where you get no connection at all. Fortunately. !!

I gotta say when 4G LTE launched here (1800, 2100 MHz) it didn’t have any problems 5G launch is experiencing. The LTE launch started big when it comes to coverage. Providing nationwide coverage using mm waves would simply be way too expensive. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I gotta say when 4G LTE launched here (1800, 2100 MHz) it didn’t have any problems 5G launch is experiencing. The LTE launch started big when it comes to coverage. Providing nationwide coverage using mm waves would simply be way too expensive. 

From what I could find, 1800 was first launched in October 2012, so 3 years after initial 4G launch, so there is probably that. 2100 I think came even much later. I might be wrong on that though. Mind you 4G at first launch had I would argue even more issues.

5G rushed or something... 

But yeah network related things that require reboots to be resolved really suck.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Over here in Hong Kong has their 5G troubles because the 3.3Ghz and 3.5Ghz band is being used by satellites.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5G is useless for cities and phones.

No one needs those speeds, improved LTE/4G is more than enough up to 100mpbs, and then we should instead switch to regular wifi in every building we go over AC/AD but currently its not automatic its a pain in the ass to manually connect.

Welcome to the world of early teething pains

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

25 minutes ago, yian88 said:

5G is useless for cities and phones.

No one needs those speeds, improved LTE/4G is more than enough up to 100mpbs, and then we should instead switch to regular wifi in every building we go over AC/AD but currently its not automatic its a pain in the ass to manually connect.

It'll be pretty useful not so much for the speed as the latency -- it's much lower than LTE.  That makes streaming VR and other time-sensitive tasks much more realistic.  Besides, this has the whiff of that "640K should be enough for everybody" claim (Bill Gates didn't actually say it, but there's a truism there).  What seems "more than enough" now could seem painfully slow when 5G has matured and your devices make better use of it.

Also, WiFi in every building?  Not unless carriers are going to pay for it... and what if a building doesn't have its own internet service?