NVIDIA Driver 425.31 released, bringing DXR support to some Pascal and non RT Turing GPUs

Mira Yurizaki

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/145872

The only important bit for this release is:

Gaming Technology
Includes support for DirectX Raytracing (DXR) on GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (and higher) and GeForce GTX 1660 (and higher) GPUs

However that wasn't all. NVIDIA also released three tech demos to show off DXR (Found at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/rtx/?cjevent=4b01a2dc5c6011e982dd004e0a1c0e12 if you scroll towards the bottom), so you don't have to buy any games. They also included the Star Wars based Reflections demo, so now you can run that.

Now I get to see how (horribly) these run on my GTX 1080 ?

As a reminder, you need Windows 10 build 1809 or later to have DXR support enabled on top of the new drivers.

EDIT: Because it's probably important to know. The resolution the tech demos run at appears to be tied to your desktop resolution. So if you want to run them at a different resolution, you have to change your desktop's resolution. Currently only 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p are supported, as far as I know.

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Now I get to see how (horribly) these run on my GTX 1080 ?

Update us on that if you can

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Goodie, time to DDU in safe mode and reinstall nvidia's driver fresh new... my gaming ring with the 1080 Ti is still running driver 399 hehe

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Cool. Might try it for lolz on my GTX 1080Ti. Any info if Futuremark's Ray Tracing bench uses DXR for ray tracing? I think it does. I don't see much practical use for DXR as whole this moment, but it'll be interesting to play with.

EDIT:

Nice, there is more tech demos. Gonna torture my system tonight :D

4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Up to about 10FPS at 1440p. It's roughly double the performance at 1080p.

Oof :D but it's not so bad if it gets around 20 FPS at 1080p though, might be around 30 FPS in games at 1080p, i would consider that playable

I was going to try it on my 1080ti, i installed the new driver, downloaded the demos, but:

image.png.98e147dad987849909c20725874b3ff0.png

I maybe am going to update my os, but i don't want to. :/

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I tried the Justice demo. It runs a lot smoother at 1080p than Reflections did. At best all I have to show is this graph from Precision X: 

Thank you, that's actually very informative!

What kind of pointless addition is this?

With a GTX 1070 you get less than 20 fps with DXR ... So: unplayable.

The graphs shown by Nvidia seem to be intended to say: "Look how good our 20-series cards are compared to the GARBAGE previous generation, you should really upgrade!! (for an almost invisible, useless function that you likely turn off anyway in a multiplayer game like BFV)."

Everyone knows that a GTX 1080 is still faster than a RTX 2060, and similar performance than the RTX 2070 for 99% of games, namely games without DXR and DLSS (if you want to turn it on in the first place).

And everyone now also knows that DLSS delivers worse performance than just resolution downscaling, and worse image quality on top of that as well.

What nonsense.

I mean, current situation is not any different compared to when Pixel Shaders were released. Pixel Shading just couldn't by done any other way than with graphic card that supported it. You could use CPU to render it, but it was horribly slow and graphic cards didn't have any general compute capability to do it on GPU. Ray tracing is no different. GTX cards weren't "shit", they just weren't designed to compute ray tracing. They can do it through general compute means, but since it's not optimized for such calculations specifically, it's slower. The fact it's running at 20+ fps is quite remarkable. Emulating pixel shaders on CPU meant 1-2fps lol...

To also add to what @RejZoR said, 3dfx infamously said that the lack of a Hardware Transform and Lighting engine, the fundamental building block of GPUs today, could be made up for by a reasonably fast CPU. They were correct, at least until Voodoo 4 & 5 came out and developers saw the appeal of Hardware T&L. Then it no longer mattered.

I mean, I guess this bolsters the point of why bother making DXR available for cards that don't have hardware RT, but we're in a transition period. You can't expect things to be up to whatever arbitrary demands you want at the start.

Looking forward to comparing 1080Ti to 2070 when I get home!

Also good to hear the demos have been released. Was kinda hoping they do that sooner but maybe they needed more polish to run on end user systems and scale better.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

To also add to what @RejZoR said, 3dfx infamously said that the lack of a Hardware Transform and Lighting engine, the fundamental building block of GPUs today, could be made up for by a reasonably fast CPU. They were correct, at least until Voodoo 4 & 5 came out and developers saw the appeal of Hardware T&L. Then it no longer mattered.

I mean, I guess this bolsters the point of why bother making DXR available for cards that don't have hardware RT, but we're in a transition period. You can't expect things to be up to whatever arbitrary demands you want at the start.

Well, if you get steady 30fps in some games using full DXR on GTX 1080Ti, that's already playable and incentive for developers to support ray tracing more. I'm still daydreaming of Killing Floor 2 supporting ray tracing. It already looks impressive with system it has, but having full blown ray tracing would be so awesome, seeing things in glass and pools of blood, uf.

I just want to ray trace minecraft

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 minutes ago, fantasia. said:

This might be a reason to install Minekampf again. :)

Interesting decision to support older cards. It's like they want you to see how slow the old cards are so you have a reason to upgrade. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

10 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Interesting decision to support older cards. It's like they want you to see how slow the old cards are so you have a reason to upgrade. 

Depends on how you look at it really, for people who want to tinker with these kinds of things it's a dream, sooo win-win?

12 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

The fact that I can even play around with the software is more exciting than the prospect of playing it at better performance.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

mmmmmk imma force an update ?

Remember to have an escape route, just in case ?

Curious to see how Radeon VII would perform with DXR compared to GTX 1080Ti given they are otherwise roughly the same performance in rasterized graphics, but compute wise, Radeon VII is much more of a brute compared to 1080Ti.

47 minutes ago, fantasia. said:

You don't need the driver for that.

A modder made a shader pack (its in alpha stage atm) that manages it without requiring specific hardware to work.   Look up SEUS PTGI.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU