Assange arrested

@Delicieuxz I've heard US is trying to sentence Assange for treason (which is still a capital punishment iirc), however, since he isn't a US citizen, he cannot be prosecuted with treason charges.

Besides, wouldn't it be in best interest of US government and its public to find out about corruption and coverups within the government? Deep state as some call it would hate it, but regular parts of government should actually embrace it.

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

Not Tech News.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Governments will always seek to destroy, discredit, lock up, or otherwise silence those who are actively seeking, capable, and do release 'secrets' to the world.

Assange was willing to publicize those secrets, and did so. So he is now a target. 'They' will do all they can to make an example to dissuade any1 else from doing the same in the future.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

Not Tech News.

The indictment shows that the arrest is directly related to Wikileaks.  There's tons of Wikileaks-related topics (including Manning's conviction for the same crimes) in the tech news section. 

Are you going to move this one back or are you going to move all the others to off-topic as well?

A great series of tweets from Greenwald.

As the Obama DOJ Concluded, Prosecution of Julian Assange for Publishing Documents Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedom

The U.S. Government’s Indictment of Julian Assange Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedoms

I don't know how Assange could possibly be convicted of something the previous US government declared a threat to press freedom, and which choruses of journalists, rights groups, and the UN wrote in defence of. Maybe there's a bait-and-switch planned with the charge. Or, maybe there really is literally nothing else Assange can be found guilty of under US law.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

He should just be like Snowden and flee to Russia. Yeah, the government isnt particularly a friend of wistleblower but they do love Western wistleblower wistleblowing Western dirt. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think it's been a huge waste of time and money and he's an utter cunt.

So he's wanted for a rape in Sweden? Well regardless of whether he thinks someone's trying to frame him, he needs to face justice for that, what a coward. 

Then he's also wanted in the US for being a twat too, he exposed so much military data man, literally getting people killed for what he saw was good. He needs to face justice for it if he committed a crime. If there was no crime that's also ok, but he needs a trial. What a cluster fuck this has been.

1 hour ago, Mug said:

So he's wanted for a rape in Sweden?

No. He isn't.

he exposed so much military data man, literally getting people killed for what he saw was good.

No. Nobody has died and there have been no vital threats against anyone as a result of the documents WikiLeaks has released. However, there has been extensive harm to people, including people killed, caused by the activities exposed in the documents WikiLeaks has released.

Journalism.jpg.9d1ac8c8b59c91bcfe2b5cb789669858.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 hours ago, wasab said:

He should just be like Snowden and flee to Russia. Yeah, the government isnt particularly a friend of wistleblower but they do love Western wistleblower wistleblowing Western dirt. 

Already plenty of dirt on Putin.

Plus Russia isn't self-righteous.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Assange was a genius.

That's all he was.

And because the people couldn't stop his incredible skill, they had to resort to arrest him.

ps. They'll probably use him to get information themselves.

Won’t visit often..

1 hour ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Assange was a genius.

That's all he was.

And because the people couldn't stop his incredible skill, they had to resort to arrest him.

ps. They'll probably use him to get information themselves.

He was accused of rape.... 

And he doesn't clean up after his own cat and felt entitle to the point he complains to the Ecuadorian embassy officials it is his freedoms and right not to pay for his internet service. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

There is no crime for journalism but hacking into computers and stealing secrets is another. I am fairly certain you would find it criminal if your spouse/partner is to hack into your computer to expose you as a cheater, even if you did indeed cheat. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

He was accused of rape.... 

Right, accused.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

15 hours ago, wasab said:

He was accused of rape...

FISHY

He hardly left his apartment.  He couldn't leave his apartment with all the information he had.

PS. I know he was crazy

Won’t visit often..

9 hours ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

FISHY

He hardly left his apartment.  He couldn't leave his apartment with all the information he had.

PS. I know he was crazy

He was accused of rape 7 years ago and he avoided trial by hiding in the embassy for years

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, Mug said:

I think it's been a huge waste of time and money and he's an utter cunt.

So he's wanted for a rape in Sweden? Well regardless of whether he thinks someone's trying to frame him, he needs to face justice for that, what a coward. 

Then he's also wanted in the US for being a twat too, he exposed so much military data man, literally getting people killed for what he saw was good. He needs to face justice for it if he committed a crime. If there was no crime that's also ok, but he needs a trial. What a cluster fuck this has been.

I think that he should be extradited to Sweden so that he can show up in their court regarding the allegations that were put on him. He should co-operate with the investigation if he wants to prove his innocence. But nevertheless, the information he published on Wikileaks is in my opinion a good thing he did to expose the government of it's dark past. However, that doesn't mean these acts were out of good will necessarily. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

20 hours ago, Noctus said:

Right, accused.

If he is innocent, why would he refuse a proper trial in Sweden?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

22 hours ago, wasab said:

He was accused of rape 7 years ago and he avoided trial by hiding in the embassy for years

He was accused of not using a condom despite being told to use one.

He wasn't facing a trial as no charges were made.

16 hours ago, wasab said:

If he is innocent, why would he refuse a proper trial in Sweden?

Playing dumb?

Not only did the Swedish investigation not lead to any charges, but everybody knows Assange went to the Ecuadorian embassy because the US was wanting to have him extradited to the US to be charged with stuff relating to WikiLeaks disclosures, Sweden would likely have him extradited to the US. And Assange lost his case in the UK against extradition to Sweden.

Despite Assange offering to be interviewed by Swedish authorities in the Ecuadorian embassy since 2012, the UK government was telling Sweden to not interview Assange from the Ecuadorian embassy in London because London wanted to arrest him, which we can see was to hand him over to the US. And Sweden agreed.

Everything has turned out to be exactly how Assange and his defenders said it was.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

He was accused of not using a condom despite being told to use one.

And have sex with a woman who was asleep and couldn't give consent. 

No charges were made. What???

Sudo make me a sandwich 

31 minutes ago, wasab said:

One of them continued to let him stay at her home after the alleged incident. Nah sorry, not buying it. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

15 minutes ago, Noctus said:

One of them continued to let him stay at her home after the alleged incident. Nah sorry, not buying it. 

You do know many victims of abuse stay with their abusers for years right?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

22 minutes ago, wasab said:

Correct. The investigation did not lead to any charges, meaning the investigation did not conclude that there was any rape.

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Correct. The investigation did not lead to any charges, meaning the investigation did not conclude that there was any rape.

Only because he was hiding inside the embassy. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 minutes ago, wasab said:

Only because he was hiding inside the embassy. 

Utterly False. The ability to lay charges is not dependent upon a person being present, charges can be laid at any time. If charges are not laid, it's because evidence hasn't accumulated to the point that reasonable confidence in the allegations has been established.

Swedish investigators were invited to interview Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy since 2011, but were requested by the UK government to not do so because they wanted to keep the pretext of extradition to Sweden available so they could arrest him if he leaves the embassy.

In about-face, Sweden offers to question Assange in London

On Friday, Swedish prosecutors reversed their long refusal to question Assange inside his London bolt hole, citing the five-year statute of limitations on some of the allegations against him.

One of Assange's defense lawyers, Per Samuelson, called the about-face "a great victory for Julian Assange," and indicated the 43-year-old Australian would likely agree to be questioned.

"This is something we've demanded for over four years," Samuelson told The Associated Press after speaking to Assange on Friday. "Julian Assange wants to be interviewed so he can be exonerated."

UK resisted Julian Assange’s offer to be questioned in London, emails reveal

Emails obtained by Italian news magazine L’Espresso under the Freedom of Information Act showed that Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service wrote to the Swedish authorities in 2011, saying it would “not be prudent” for them to interview Assange in the UK.

“Any attempt to interview him under strict Swedish law would invariably be fraught with problems,” said one email, dated 25 January 2011. Another email dated 13 January 2011 said: “Please do not think that the case is being dealt with as just another extradition request.”

Assange said: “This is astonishing. I have been on the phone with my lawyers all morning and they are as shocked as I am.”

The Swedish investigation was deceitfully designed to avoid resolving it so that the UK could maintain a pretext to arrest Assange.

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Utterly False. The ability to lay charges is not dependent upon a person being present. Charges can be laid at any time. If charges are not laid, it's because evidence hasn't accumulated to the point that reasonable confidence in the allegations have been established.

Hiding inside an embassy in a foreign country does make it awfully inconvenient to gather evidences doesn't it. 

Btw, Swedish authorities did issues an international warrant for his arrest. 

Sudo make me a sandwich