Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Chaos

Assange arrested

If the possible sentence that Assange is facing is a maximum of 5 years (which is reportedly the max sentence for the conspiracy charge), then that's a lot less than I think most everybody, certainly myself, was expecting. It's certainly a lot less than the 35 years that Manning was given.

Maybe the time that Assange stayed in the Ecuadorian embassy had an effect on reducing what he would be charged with due to legal teams and news organizations having time to reflect on hypothetical charges and the legal and moral basis for them, and concluding that there isn't any huge thing to come at him with.

Also, according to some reports, the charge Assange is facing, of trying to crack a password, is one that Obama decidedly chose to not prosecute Assange for, on the grounds that it would endanger journalism (which makes me wonder: What was Obama planning to prosecute Assange for if he got him?)

If the charge Assange is currently being faced with is dubious as some have reported, then I wonder if this is Trump, who said during the 2016 election campaign that he loves WikiLeaks and who certainly benefitted from WikiLeaks' disclosures, throwing Assange a bone:

Hypothetically, this makes Trump appear like he's tough against Assange, while the potential sentence is relatively small and, if the charge is dubious, maybe has a chance of being ruled against by a court, which would be doing Assange the favour of getting him out of the embassy and ending the US government's persecution of him.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Wish people would drop the cult of personality surrounding Assange.  While there have been some important revelations from his data, he's not a hero, and he's not a journalist.

-----------------

While I'm not enthusiastic about the implications of the arrest for actual journalists, I don't have much sympathy for Assange.  He's an irresponsible, self-serving opportunist who has managed to convince the gullible that he's a saint.

Personally I don't see him as a hero either, but from my perspective, he did the right thing on leaking the atrocious acts the US (government) military committed during the Iraqi and Afghanistan war a few years ago (and also other information). Nevertheless, I'm still concerned about the two allegations from Sweden. If he did something wrong back there, he should prosecuted according to Swedish law and not just being extradited to a country where the death penalty is still put in place. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 8GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 Ti || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & MacOS High Sierra & Ubuntu 18.04.1 x64

- Old piece of tech from late 2006:

MB: ASUS P5LD2-SE || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 || RAM: 4GB DDR2 || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT640 2GB || Storage: 128GB SSD & 2x 200GB HDD || OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laptops

- Main laptop specs:

Model: ASUS X302UA || CPU: Intel Core i3 6006U || RAM: 8GB DDR3L || GPU: Integrated Intel HD 520 || Storage: 128GB SSD || OS: Windows 10 Home

- Old Macbook specs:

Model: Macbook 6,1 Late 2009 || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 || RAM: 5GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9400M || Storage: 128GB SSD || OS: MacOS Sierra

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

-snip

Nevermind that the women who accused him of something merely wanted him tested for STD's because they thought that had caught something from him. The entirety of the "rape" accusations are 100% government fabricated excuses to arrest him and get him extradited to the US because it's somehow possible for a non-US citizen to commit treason, which the US government has accused him of.

Nevermind that the media has committed nothing short of a smear and misinformation campaign against wikileaks since the get-go. Down to the likes of CNN telling people that it would be illegal for them to view things on Wikileaks (which they very, very quietly corrected, knowing that people overwhelmingly go off of the first thing they saw) and that there are "special exemptions for journalists". Which is

A. Not True.

B. CNN qualifies on the same level of Journalism as Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.

Nevermind that Wikileaks has never had to detract a statement or accusation. Unlike every major "news" outlet under the sun.

Let's just remember, if/when he is imprisoned, he will likely die in prison. The US government will make absolutely sure of that.

I can only hope that he has dead man switches in place to release information damning the majority of both parties of our government. Although I will not be surprised when the likes of CNN, MSNBC, and Fox, fail to report on it. Or only report on the information released against their "adversaries".

For those wanting sources, everything (source links) is available here:

https://www.minds.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/blog/julian-assange-is-a-hero-963104601888972800

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

11 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

He was wanted by the US the entire time.

That's what Assange has been saying all this time, while being replied that it's all about Sweden and, later that it's all about him breaking his bail for the Sweden thing. We heard once and again that his allegations of it all beng about a US extradition was baseless paranoia.

17 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Let's ignore the contents and context of his leaks, I agree this isn't the place for that debate.

The guy leaked confidential US military documents, the US government has a legitimate claim for him to stand trial. He also did skip bail here in England which again is a legitimate reason for an arrest warrant.

As I said, I seriously doubt the UK will agree to extradite him to anywhere pending a death sentence (although to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if I was proved wrong) but you can't deny that he did commit the crime. The evidence of that is public knowledge at this point.

So if I find out that my neighbor has videos where he's murdering puppies but he classifies it as military secrets it's illegal for me to show the videos to anyone and thereby trying to get him to stop murdering puppies? (Obviously not the same thing but I thought a more amusing/outlandish parallel would be better received)

1 hour ago, Beskamir said:

So if I find out that my neighbor has videos where he's murdering puppies but he classifies it as military secrets

whoa there Mr. Fantastic / Elastigirl ._.

@Delicieuxz I've heard US is trying to sentence Assange for treason (which is still a capital punishment iirc), however, since he isn't a US citizen, he cannot be prosecuted with treason charges.

Besides, wouldn't it be in best interest of US government and its public to find out about corruption and coverups within the government? Deep state as some call it would hate it, but regular parts of government should actually embrace it.

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

Not Tech News.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Governments will always seek to destroy, discredit, lock up, or otherwise silence those who are actively seeking, capable, and do release 'secrets' to the world.

Assange was willing to publicize those secrets, and did so. So he is now a target. 'They' will do all they can to make an example to dissuade any1 else from doing the same in the future.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

Not Tech News.

The indictment shows that the arrest is directly related to Wikileaks.  There's tons of Wikileaks-related topics (including Manning's conviction for the same crimes) in the tech news section. 

Are you going to move this one back or are you going to move all the others to off-topic as well?

A great series of tweets from Greenwald.

As the Obama DOJ Concluded, Prosecution of Julian Assange for Publishing Documents Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedom

The U.S. Government’s Indictment of Julian Assange Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedoms

I don't know how Assange could possibly be convicted of something the previous US government declared a threat to press freedom, and which choruses of journalists, rights groups, and the UN wrote in defence of. Maybe there's a bait-and-switch planned with the charge. Or, maybe there really is literally nothing else Assange can be found guilty of under US law.

He should just be like Snowden and flee to Russia. Yeah, the government isnt particularly a friend of wistleblower but they do love Western wistleblower wistleblowing Western dirt. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think it's been a huge waste of time and money and he's an utter cunt.

So he's wanted for a rape in Sweden? Well regardless of whether he thinks someone's trying to frame him, he needs to face justice for that, what a coward. 

Then he's also wanted in the US for being a twat too, he exposed so much military data man, literally getting people killed for what he saw was good. He needs to face justice for it if he committed a crime. If there was no crime that's also ok, but he needs a trial. What a cluster fuck this has been.

1 hour ago, Mug said:

So he's wanted for a rape in Sweden?

No. He isn't.

he exposed so much military data man, literally getting people killed for what he saw was good.

No. Nobody has died and there have been no vital threats against anyone as a result of the documents WikiLeaks has released. However, there has been extensive harm to people, including people killed, caused by the activities exposed in the documents WikiLeaks has released.

Journalism.jpg.9d1ac8c8b59c91bcfe2b5cb789669858.jpg

5 hours ago, wasab said:

He should just be like Snowden and flee to Russia. Yeah, the government isnt particularly a friend of wistleblower but they do love Western wistleblower wistleblowing Western dirt. 

Already plenty of dirt on Putin.

Plus Russia isn't self-righteous.

i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz

Asus Strix OC 1080Ti

ROG Maximus IX Hero

EVGA G2 850W

32GB DDR4 (16x2) @ 3000Mhz

X62 Kraken

Creative Soundblaster Zx

Windows 10 Pro x64

Phanteks Primo

Assange was a genius.

That's all he was.

And because the people couldn't stop his incredible skill, they had to resort to arrest him.

ps. They'll probably use him to get information themselves.

BlankFace Says so.

1 hour ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Assange was a genius.

That's all he was.

And because the people couldn't stop his incredible skill, they had to resort to arrest him.

ps. They'll probably use him to get information themselves.

He was accused of rape.... 

And he doesn't clean up after his own cat and felt entitle to the point he complains to the Ecuadorian embassy officials it is his freedoms and right not to pay for his internet service. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

There is no crime for journalism but hacking into computers and stealing secrets is another. I am fairly certain you would find it criminal if your spouse/partner is to hack into your computer to expose you as a cheater, even if you did indeed cheat. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

He was accused of rape.... 

Right, accused.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

15 hours ago, wasab said:

He was accused of rape...

FISHY

He hardly left his apartment.  He couldn't leave his apartment with all the information he had.

PS. I know he was crazy

BlankFace Says so.

9 hours ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

FISHY

He hardly left his apartment.  He couldn't leave his apartment with all the information he had.

PS. I know he was crazy

He was accused of rape 7 years ago and he avoided trial by hiding in the embassy for years

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, Mug said:

I think it's been a huge waste of time and money and he's an utter cunt.

So he's wanted for a rape in Sweden? Well regardless of whether he thinks someone's trying to frame him, he needs to face justice for that, what a coward. 

Then he's also wanted in the US for being a twat too, he exposed so much military data man, literally getting people killed for what he saw was good. He needs to face justice for it if he committed a crime. If there was no crime that's also ok, but he needs a trial. What a cluster fuck this has been.

I think that he should be extradited to Sweden so that he can show up in their court regarding the allegations that were put on him. He should co-operate with the investigation if he wants to prove his innocence. But nevertheless, the information he published on Wikileaks is in my opinion a good thing he did to expose the government of it's dark past. However, that doesn't mean these acts were out of good will necessarily. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 8GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 Ti || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & MacOS High Sierra & Ubuntu 18.04.1 x64

- Old piece of tech from late 2006:

MB: ASUS P5LD2-SE || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 || RAM: 4GB DDR2 || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT640 2GB || Storage: 128GB SSD & 2x 200GB HDD || OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laptops

- Main laptop specs:

Model: ASUS X302UA || CPU: Intel Core i3 6006U || RAM: 8GB DDR3L || GPU: Integrated Intel HD 520 || Storage: 128GB SSD || OS: Windows 10 Home

- Old Macbook specs:

Model: Macbook 6,1 Late 2009 || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 || RAM: 5GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9400M || Storage: 128GB SSD || OS: MacOS Sierra

20 hours ago, Noctus said:

Right, accused.

If he is innocent, why would he refuse a proper trial in Sweden?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

22 hours ago, wasab said:

He was accused of rape 7 years ago and he avoided trial by hiding in the embassy for years

He was accused of not using a condom despite being told to use one.

He wasn't facing a trial as no charges were made.

16 hours ago, wasab said:

If he is innocent, why would he refuse a proper trial in Sweden?

Playing dumb?

Not only did the Swedish investigation not lead to any charges, but everybody knows Assange went to the Ecuadorian embassy because the US was wanting to have him extradited to the US to be charged with stuff relating to WikiLeaks disclosures, Sweden would likely have him extradited to the US. And Assange lost his case in the UK against extradition to Sweden.

Despite Assange offering to be interviewed by Swedish authorities in the Ecuadorian embassy since 2012, the UK government was telling Sweden to not interview Assange from the Ecuadorian embassy in London because London wanted to arrest him, which we can see was to hand him over to the US. And Sweden agreed.

Everything has turned out to be exactly how Assange and his defenders said it was.