3 system build for the kids and dad.

AthonRogue

Hey all, hope to get some advice on a upcoming project. I promised my boy and girl that I would look at building them each a pc of their own. We want to all game together and they are getting to an age where they are needing a computer for school work. And I thought at the same time I'd build myself a new rig as well seeing as mine is 9 years old or so. 

So I'll fill out the bullet points from the sticky but a couple of my initial questions would be : Is there any discounts to be found for buying multiples of components? And is there a better time of year to buy? Like, do things drop after new stuff is released at e3 or something? 

Anyway, I appreciate any help. Of course if LTT is doing one of those contests where they pick people with the busted old pcs and hook them up, well, I mean what could be more heart warming than a family that just wants group up for a little wholesome fps or mmo online together? 

1. Budget & Location

I'm a Canuck so $CAD please. Speaking of which, LTT, any chance you could post Canadian links for some of your builds or products your reviewing? 

As for budget... Originally I was looking at all those budget builds for the kids (sub $700) but idk. I'd like it to last them awhile. I'll take suggestions but I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side. (maybe $900 - 1000 per system?) 

For mine, I'd like to spend a little more maybe but the last system I build I spent about $1400 on and 9 years later it is still running games albeit at abysmal frame rates that might physically kill some of the softer ones of this community. I have upgraded some since but still. 

2. Aim

Mostly gaming. On the kids computers they will be doing homework, web browsing, Netflix etc. Games include lego (everything), destiny 2, minecraft, Swtor, just cause, things like that. Just fine with 1080p since they will be my old monitors. They are also saving their monies for graphics tablets, just the cheaper Chinese ones like the huion gt-191. They love drawing and both want to get into digital art. 

As for mine, once again, mostly gaming but I like to push things. I'm the guy trying to put a couple hundred mods on skyrim and then throw in an enb. And I love to have a show on one screen and game on the other and discord going and I might try streaming etc. And I like to do some 3d modeling sometimes, blender, sketch up, that type of thing. So really I'm a bit of a mess with no focus. But I like all the different game genres from skyrim/fallout to mmos to cities skylines. 

If I have the money I wouldn't mind looking at 4k monitors. Nothing crazy, I don't have room for the big ones. 

3. Monitors

See above. Kids are at 1080p and maybe I go 4k but I do multi-task so I like having 2 for me. 

4. Peripherals

Ya I will be buying peripherals. At least for the kids. I have my venerable (and divisive) RAT7 and my old Microsoft x6 and I may just keep them because I love them. I guess we will need an os, do they still have a system builder version of windows? Although the latest episode of LTT about Linux gaming makes me wonder. I mean, most of our games are on steam.. 

5. Why are you upgrading?

The kids are new builds and also I'm tired of them bogarting my computer. And mine is pretty old and tired. It is a Amd phenom x6. I've already boosted the ram, added hard drives and an ssd, and replaced the video card with a 1060. I don't think there is much more I can do to upgrade it. 

OK that is all. If you are still here thanks for listening. I look forward to what ever help can be offered. 

1. You normally wont get discounts for buying in bulk

as for good times to buy 

cybermonday

blackfriday

or if there is a good sale going on not really a specific time

4. let your kids choose the peripherals they are gonna be using them not me or whoever else picks the parts they should choose what they want

also are you gonna be ocing?

Edit: oh heck I didnt see CAD give me a sec

Edit: okay fixed

19 minutes ago, AthonRogue said:

1. Budget & Location

I'm a Canuck so $CAD please. Speaking of which, LTT, any chance you could post Canadian links for some of your builds or products your reviewing? 

As for budget... Originally I was looking at all those budget builds for the kids (sub $700) but idk. I'd like it to last them awhile. I'll take suggestions but I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side. (maybe $900 - 1000 per system?) 

For mine, I'd like to spend a little more maybe but the last system I build I spent about $1400 on and 9 years later it is still running games albeit at abysmal frame rates that might physically kill some of the softer ones of this community. I have upgraded some since but still. 

4. Peripherals

Ya I will be buying peripherals. At least for the kids. I have my venerable (and divisive) RAT7 and my old Microsoft x6 and I may just keep them because I love them. I guess we will need an os, do they still have a system builder version of windows? Although the latest episode of LTT about Linux gaming makes me wonder. I mean, most of our games are on steam.. 

ok, so what's the budget for your own rig? $900-1k for your kids each?

which peripherals do you need?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

That's a framework for version for the Kids. The 8GB of memory can be matched later, and the monitor can be pretty much whatever fits them & your budget.

As for your personal system, I'd probably recommend waiting for Ryzen 3rd Gen's launch in June/July. Even the talk of Blender and 3D Modeling means the price drop in the per-core cost will be worth waiting for.

Here's a build for your own needs, but I would hold off until the Ryzen launch cycle. Would need to know more information about monitor needs and there's min/max to be done on parts for your local market.

For the kids, as you mentioned they will be reusing your old monitors so didn't include that in the list.

Ryzen 5 6-core CPU, should last them quite a while.

GTX 1660 is plenty enough for handling the latest games they might want to play.

650W 80+ Gold PSU is pretty overkill but at least you won't need to upgrade it for many years, Corsair also has a long warranty period so just RMA it if anything happens

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($228.93 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.90 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($71.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  ($324.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $958.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-10 22:38 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

What about laptops for the kids? 

Get maybe a 1060 in them, and maybe some mice and controllers and add monitors and other things later if the need arises. 

Or think forward and get thunderbolt 3 equipped laptops and eGPU later, but that is getting expensive, but dispersed cost.

Wow! That was fast. I'm going to take a look at those lists. I do like the thought of the micro ATX. Space is limited so that is a plus.

@Herman Mcpootis For my own? MMm $2K maybe if that included the monitors.

@DaltonM, I did think about laptops. Certainly would make it nice and easy but they don't really need them mobile so the cost/value I don't think is there. The other thing is they are looking forward to building these themselves. I'm going to help them and it will be their very own.

While I look I do have a question. I know this is a complicated question with a lot of considerations but, how does a person put together a build list like this? How do you know what components will work well together and not bottleneck or conflict? There are obvious pairings but for eg, some memory works better with certain processors or mb's so you might not get the fastest memory because it would be pointless? IDK when I do things I like to understand the why as well as the what and how.

And maybe I should also ask about the fluff kind of things. I'd like the kids to be able to personalize them a bit. Are things like RGB stuff I should be planning for or can it be added along the way? I don't mean going crazy but if they want to light it up in a certain color and show off the hardware or whatever.

Oh man, there are so many questions that are popping into my head as I look at builds. Like is water cooling really a thing I might think about? Or does it just look cool. Cause I didn't think it really cut down on noise that much. I'm not planning on overclocking, at least not much and not for some time.

OMG I need to go to bed before I write another life story.

55 minutes ago, AthonRogue said:

Wow! That was fast. I'm going to take a look at those lists. I do like the thought of the micro ATX. Space is limited so that is a plus.

@Herman Mcpootis For my own? MMm $2K maybe if that included the monitors.

CAD 2000? Well its doable but 2 monitors @ 4K needss a bit of a stretch, its over budget a bit and I have a slight concern over the RTX2060 being a little overworked. 

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($314.56 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card  ($479.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM 31.37 CFM 80mm Fan  ($13.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM 31.37 CFM 80mm Fan  ($13.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Monitor: Asus - VP28UQG 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($379.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Monitor: Asus - VP28UQG 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($379.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $2191.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-11 02:22 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

for you:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($228.93 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.90 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($106.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: ADATA - SX7000 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($44.88 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.88 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($599.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Monitor: MSI - Optix MAG341CQ 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor  ($649.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $1940.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-11 02:52 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

So if up my budget by a bit would it make a big difference? For instance, any one of these, is it a case where if I spend day 10% more I can up performance by a bunch? Or would it be quite a big jump to get any real difference? 

Idk like the last build above, if I spend 100-150 more and get a Ryzen 7 is that going really bump it up a notch?

19 minutes ago, AthonRogue said:

Idk like the last build above, if I spend 100-150 more and get a Ryzen 7 is that going really bump it up a notch?

gaming wise the extra budget will be better off moving to an i7 8700 instead, most games don't use 8 cores yet.

So I've taken the basic everyone has provided here and done a little dreaming on my own. I have gone over my stated budget for the kids but I have also splurged on a couple of things that will make it special for them, such as that case. What do you guys think? BTW I have always, since around 2000, been a fan of MSI, hence the change to a MSI MB.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.75 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($131.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($144.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($339.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Level 20 VT MicroATX Desktop Case  ($129.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $1181.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-17 21:46 EDT-0400

3 minutes ago, AthonRogue said:

So I've taken the basic everyone has provided here and done a little dreaming on my own. I have gone over my stated budget for the kids but I have also splurged on a couple of things that will make it special for them, such as that case. What do you guys think? BTW I have always, since around 2000, been a fan of MSI, hence the change to a MSI MB.

i'd get a B450M steel legend instead, cheaper after rebates and you get 4 ram slots for easier upgrades in the future. get a cheaper GTX 1660, or just spend the extra $20 for a 1660ti instead.