House passes bill to save Net Neutrality, idiots on Reddit celebrate too early- McConnell to block it from Senate floor as he said before vote

Syntaxvgm

So, I read the bill, and it's really odd.  Rather than actually making rules that would be passed as law, they simply decided to make the board decision of the FCC be null and void.  In other words, rather than doing their job to write laws, they decided to just override the decisions of the FCC (effectively making the FCC board irrelevant).

In my opinion, that qualifies as a bad bill and I agree with the decision to not bring it up for a vote.  If the Dems really want NN, they need to write an actual law with actual guidelines, rather than saying the FCC board is not allowed to do the jobs they were appointed to do.

I still have a hard time understanding the fear of no net neutrality. I didn't notice a single difference with my internet's usage from 2000 up to 2015, then from whenever it got repealed til now. No ISP that I'm aware of is bundling Google,Facebook, and Reddit into packages like reddit said they would.

I do remember around 2015 my ISP started enforcing data caps, something they never did before. Maybe NN just made them more transparent because they were throttling after I hit 300GB or some bullcrap

If Congress were actually interested in improving the internet rather than creating regulatory capture for specific players, the would pass a bill mandating one touch make ready line installation, eliminating exclusive isp contracts with cities, and forcing the legalization(not implementation) of municipal fiber.

20 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I still have a hard time understanding the fear of no net neutrality. I didn't notice a single difference with my internet's usage from 2000 up to 2015, then from whenever it got repealed til now. No ISP that I'm aware of is bundling Google,Facebook, and Reddit into packages like reddit said they would.

I do remember around 2015 my ISP started enforcing data caps, something they never did before. Maybe NN just made them more transparent because they were throttling after I hit 300GB or some bullcrap

There were demonstrable instances of net neutrality violations before net neutrality rules kicked in.  Companies blocking VoIP, peer-to-peer, tethering and even video apps, and sometimes purely for anti-competitive reasons (say, forcing you to pay for call time or TV).  It's just that these violations were periodic rather than consistent, and not really draconian.

Part of why you don't see ISPs rushing to abuse the end of net neutrality in the US is that they know the current regulatory climate won't last.  The current FCC's many mistakes will be erased once there's a Democrat in the Oval Office, so why run amok when you know you'll be forced to mend your ways later?

On 4/14/2019 at 1:20 AM, Commodus said:

Part of why you don't see ISPs rushing to abuse the end of net neutrality in the US is that they know the current regulatory climate won't last.  The current FCC's many mistakes will be erased once there's a Democrat in the Oval Office, so why run amok when you know you'll be forced to mend your ways later?

I think more to the point it's easier to argue the system regulates itself when you don't rush out and abuse the system. Especially when everyone is looking while it's a current topic.  With people crying "I haven't seen a difference", the ISP's position is justified and there is no requirement to change the FCC ruling. 

What really surprises me is that people are only willing to look at the last year when deciding if it should be a thing or not,  People should be considering every practice and issue that has occurred over the last 10 years. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

America better be not follow EU though because Article 13, 17, and Net Neutrality are all bull sh*t.

13 hours ago, Slurs Gang said:

America better be not follow EU though because Article 13, 17, and Net Neutrality are all bull sh*t.

Articles 13 and 17 are dodgy.  Net neutrality is not, and all good people support it.

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

Articles 13 and 17 are dodgy.  Net neutrality is not, and all good people support it.

- Ajit Pai has entered the chat for Net Neutrality discussion -

On 4/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, Eaglerino said:

Believe it or not, the Obama-era rules (which, despite Republicans' claims, are actually very weak and don't go beyond the whole "treat all packets as the same" thing; laws passed in states such as Montana and California are much stronger than the federal rules ever were) are still being observed due to lawsuits against the ISPs and FCC. So, yes, while they aren't supposed to be enforced right now, they still are being observed due to legal pressure.

3 hours ago, Slurs Gang said:

- Ajit Pai has entered the chat for Net Neutrality discussion -

? He's anti Net Neutrality.... He ain't gonna be supporting it, ever.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

? He's anti Net Neutrality.... He ain't gonna be supporting it, ever.

Oh.......What a dumbass my brain cells.