nicklmg

PARTS LIST (we're not recommending this...):
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/3w8hY

Cooler: Rosewill 80mm Low Profile
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/39t5N

Motherboard: Acer Veriton M275 G41 mATX
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/5poCwB

RAM: Samsung 2GB DDR3 1333MHz (DID NOT WORK)
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/cL9qNAm

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 5450 (mislabeled)
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/Ujdh

Storage: WD 160GB Caviar Blue
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/U8cBaC

Power Supply: Insignia 520W
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/PcckfR

Case: Rosewill SCM-01
Buy on Amazon: https://geni.us/hbZXB

Not wanting to be rude but the colours look a bit washed out imo.

I make intelligent lights do cool things

This nothing compared to the shit PC i've got at my school in Germany. If you would buy that thing on Ebay, it would cost around 45€.

That's the setup:

• Intel Pentium E5200 2x 2,5 Ghz with stock fan
  • Some weird motherboard without branding (I looks like an old ASUS board)
  • 2x 1Gb of no name RAM
  • a 80Gb Seagate (I think) HDD
  • a black no name case
  • a CD-ROM reader (No DVD, no writing)
  • a broken floppy disk reader
  • a no name PSU (weights around 0,26 Lbs)
  • Windows 7, 32 bit ( I've never seen another 32 bit system)
  • NO internet connection
  • non activated Office 365
  • a VGA monitor that covers around 0,03% of the RGB color space ?
  • and PS/2 mouse and keyboard

So. Wanna visit Germany? Don't do it! Trust me! I live here.

Main System: Broken because I'm stupid.

Fun fact, literally any computer with a processor can do ray tracing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Surely Linus has seen DMS59 ports before?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I have that exact CPU in an ol' minecraft server. Oh, and while it may not be relevant, I have some pretty awesome enthusiast grade RAM (not HP) in my 8200 elite, from both EVGA and Crucial.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

10 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I've actually seen the Mounting of the CPU Cooler Thing.

That's the Mounting for Socket 423, the first Pentium 4 Socket.

But was still in use much later in OEM Systems.

As you see up to LGA775.

Chipset of the Dell Poweredge Board might not even support Pentium D CPUs.

But since I'm quoting you right now:
Why not make a shootout between S939 AMD Athlon 64 X2 (one of the higher end ones like 4200+) and the good old Pentium D?? (LGA775)
Windows 10 has to be used in the 32bit Version, so that only leaves Windows 7/64bit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Surely Linus has seen DMS59 ports before?

No as they are only used on Server/Workstation Cards with a low profile PCB.

I haven't seen them on any Desktop Product.

Something similar though was used by Matrox on the G550 in the Low Profile Version.

But that isn't a DMS-59 Connector but LFH-60.

And its something Consumerish...

PS: Intel i850 with Memory Riser (MECC) for the Win :P

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Not being rude. BUT

You say that's painful?

Here in Pakistan, You can get a fully working PC in Rs. 3500 ($25)
But wait till you hear its specs.

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz or E8600 3.3 ghz "gaming" ready processor.
  • An old Dell OEM motherboard, with no driver support.
  • 2x 2gb DDR2 or DDR3 with an extra $3 fee, or throw in another $10 to get 4gb DDR2
  • 80gb or 160gb HDD 7200 rpm,
  • Optiplex "branded" casing.
  • A sloppy onboard VGA display adapter, which isn't even capable of running basic programs
  • Don't like the VGA display adapter?
    No problem, throw in a $30 dollar bill to get a Nvidia Geforce GT 440, fully capable of running GTA V, The highest you can imagine of getting a GPU in local shops is a GTX 750ti, other than that you need to go to the capital city to get high-end GPU's
  • Yay, A DVD-ROM, which is about 9 years old.
  • Windows 7 64 bit.
  • A non-working ethernet port.
  • Standard PSU.
  • An 17-inch 1024x768 LCD.
  • A USB Keyboard and Mouse.

download.jpg.30cf50e604c67b2600d9ae5de089b765.jpg

Like I had said in the comments on the video, they need to do the cheapest new build vs. the fully upgraded $69 PC to see how they compare.  

10 hours ago, Watn3y said:

Germany? Don't do it

Autobahns in a shite car. 

Done it twice now with friends, both time we have had to fly back home as it seems pegging a car as fast as it can go when you bought it for <£400 isn't the best idea. But who cares, the booze is cheap

I make intelligent lights do cool things

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No as they are only used on Server/Workstation Cards with a low profile PCB.

I haven't seen them on any Desktop Product.

I harvest them from old BTX Optiplexes all the time. I have so many freaking DMS59 cards here that I literally end up giving them away.

6 hours ago, ProudPak said:

Not being rude. BUT

You say that's painful?

Here in Pakistan, You can get a fully working PC in Rs. 3500 ($25)
But wait till you hear its specs.

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz or E8600 3.3 ghz "gaming" ready processor.
  • An old Dell OEM motherboard, with no driver support.
  • 2x 2gb DDR2 or DDR3 with an extra $3 fee, or throw in another $10 to get 4gb DDR2
  • 80gb or 160gb HDD 7200 rpm,
  • Optiplex "branded" casing.
  • A sloppy onboard VGA display adapter, which isn't even capable of running basic programs
  • Don't like the VGA display adapter?
    No problem, throw in a $30 dollar bill to get a Nvidia Geforce GT 440, fully capable of running GTA V, The highest you can imagine of getting a GPU in local shops is a GTX 750ti, other than that you need to go to the capital city to get high-end GPU's
  • Yay, A DVD-ROM, which is about 9 years old.
  • Windows 7 64 bit.
  • A non-working ethernet port.
  • Standard PSU.
  • An 17-inch 1024x768 LCD.
  • A USB Keyboard and Mouse.

1. An E8400/E8600 is still capable of some gaming today. Not a ton and nothing AAA, but they're still more than adequate for everyday Windows 10 use if you feed them enough RAM.

2. BTXplexes have driver support at least to Windows 7, most of them have drivers for Windows 10. Windows 7 drivers are usually easy to install on 10.

3. $10 for 4GB of DDR2 installed actually isn't a terrible price, considering that installing RAM in an old BTXplex involves pulling out drive bays.

4. Those systems were delivered with an 80-160GB drive more often than not, so you're getting the original hardware. That's not great, but at $25 you're far from being screwed.

5. It's an Optiplex. It wasn't designed to game.

6. $30 for a GT 440 is a ripoff, but Pakistan is far from the only foreign market with bad GPU pricing, and I have heard of far worse. Again, a GT 440 can run older games at 1080p.

7. What are you complaining about? The fact that it comes with an optical drive?

8. If the ethernet port doesn't work, that's something to take up with the person that sold it to you.

9. BTXplexes use nonstandard PSUs. They can't run a GTX 1080 Ti, but you're not fitting one in that case anyway. They can run a 105W Q6600 and a 75W low-profile GPU for hours on end under stress test loads without failing, and that's heavier duty than they were designed for.

10. The fact that you even get a monitor with a $25 system is noteworthy. Don't like it? Sell the monitor by itself for $20.

11. You have a keyboard and mouse included at $25. Again, what are you complaining about?

Sorry for railing on you, but your whining about a $25 Optiplex with an included monitor, mouse and keyboard is ridiculous. I sell SFF Optiplex 755s, 760s and 780s all the time with my eyes closed for $60-80. They're usually specced out very similar to the $25 one there, except I don't include monitors, mice or keyboards. The monitor usually runs $15-25 depending on size, res and condition, and a USB mouse/kb runs another $5-15 depending on condition and age. I typically include a 250GB drive, but usually have a 500GB or 1TB on hand for an additional cost. I do tend to throw in GPUs, but they're usually the DMS59 GPUs mentioned above.

Basically, the system you're whining about is actually a great deal, and one I'd flip as it sits, with the monitor and peripherals but with a DMS59 GPU, for probably $60 given the small HDD size. If you drop in a Q6600, tape mod it, then add a low profile GT 730, 1030, GTX 750 Ti, 1050 or 1050 Ti, congratulations, you're gaming in 1080p on even some modern games, and you're getting 30-60 FPS.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Here's the Cheapest PC on Amazon -- if Riley were to do what Linus envisioned (modern parts):

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE with Radeon Vega 3 graphics - US$49.99

MoBo: Asus PRIME A320M-K AM4 - US$62.15

RAM: Patriot 1x4GB DDR4-2133 - US$21.99

Storage: WD Caviar Blue 160GB - US$15.99

Case: Rosewill SCM-01 - US$24.99

PSU: Insignia 520W - US$21.90

Total: US$197.01

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

• 7 months later...

This could have been a nice reference video but was so intensly half a**ed that its so disapointing...

even the hardrive decision was a failure.. I am sure that with like 7 bucks more or so you could have found a 1TB hard drive instead of tht 160 gig one...

Its not about the cheapest PC ... Its about the cheapest PC possible of gaming (albeit with some compromises ) and general usage comfortability. 

Sometimes I wonder if people working there have any sort of experience with computers in general only linus seems to have some and the rest are just his frat hommies or something he pays them a paycheck to keep him company or what not.. oh ok the linux guy there knows a few stuff as well..