How many people are considering Linux now as a viable gaming option after LTT's video?

MarbleHornets

How many people are considering Linux now as a viable gaming option after LTT's video?   

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Linux distro for your gaming PC?

• You'll never take Windows away from me!
    • I've already been using Linux...
    • I'm considering it now
    • Mac OSX Gaming Club

18 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I mean true there are a command line stuff which I have no clue about.  Sorta like DOS ,, but more advanced, way more advanced.  But once you take away the command line, its a pretty dull OS and has no comparison to Windows 10.  just my 2 cents.  Im not a uncle billy fan boy or a Linux fanboy.  I'm just speaking the truth.

You're speaking inexperience, not truth. Now, that's not meant to be an insult. Just pointing that out because almost everything you've said at its core is extremely factually inaccurate both in theory and in practice.

3 minutes ago, King Poet said:

You're speaking inexperience, not truth. Now, that's not meant to be an insult. Just pointing that out because almost everything you've said at its core is extremely factually inaccurate both in theory and in practice.

Sorry man, I was a bit harsh.  Forgive me.  But ya I know Linux is very robust but it seems like Im using a MAC when I use that OS.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Sorry man, I was a bit harsh.  Forgive me.  But ya I know Linux is very robust but it seems like Im using a MAC when I use that OS.

It wasn't really harsh, it was just inaccurate. That's all I'm pointing out. The OS definitely isn't for everyone, and that's fine. I just like to avoid people spreading misinformation as much as possible.

Been using Linux as my primary OS for quite some time, I don't know who in their right mind is saying you can't game here, but before proton was a thing, ~40% of my steam library already had a native linux version. Now with proton/wine, nearly my entire library will run fine, and with DXVK the performance is anywhere from 80% to 95% what it was on Windows. Just about all of the games that have any issues are those with anticheat, but as stated in the video, valve is putting in more work to fix that. (Wouldn't mind something like Apex from time to time, ran without a hitch before they added/updated EAC) For the most part I didn't need to tweak games to get them to work. Sure, it isn't as newbie friendly, but really to say it is hard is a long shot.

Unrelated low quality video I made earlier for someone else, but it was done to show how easy it is to change the theme up. >:D

Spoiler

Now I go back to hiding in the far reaches of Discord

1 hour ago, Turtle Rig said:

Its not a real thing.  Linux cant run games for crap and if they do its going to be a low low fps.  Unix is like mac,, for dummies, Also MAC OS it based off linux.  If you take away the command line switches and all that jazz, unix is a simple ugly no control over OS.

Mac OS X is based on BSD unix, Linux is an open source implementation of UNIX...so UNIX is not like Mac for dummies.. I've played some pretty nice 3d shooters on Linux that had excellent frame rates..(granted they where purpose made for linux. but They where multiplayer death match FPS) and I'm not sure what you mean by "unix a simple ugly no control over OS" like seriously, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

16 minutes ago, King Poet said:

It wasn't really harsh, it was just inaccurate. That's all I'm pointing out. The OS definitely isn't for everyone, and that's fine. I just like to avoid people spreading misinformation as much as possible.

I guess we all hope one day we can run Windows app and games on Linux flawlessly.  However Wine and that other one which I forgot need to advance more.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

5 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

Linux is an open source implementation of UNIX.

Linux is an open source knock off. It's designed to resemble Unix only in the end result, under the hood, they're pretty different.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Linux is an open source knock off. It's designed to resemble Unix only in the end result, under the hood, they're pretty different.

I'm still closer to being correct that the other guy though. I mean all the unix applications run on linux so..

1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I'm still closer to being correct that the other guy though. I mean all the unix applications run on linux so..

Not really. 

And most Unix distros can run Linux programs, not the other way around.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Linux gaming is never going to be as good as Windows gaming, simply because Microsoft will always have more money and therefore access to better, longer-working programmers and testers. 

That being said, Linux may become an accepted and viable alternative in the same way as LibreOffice is a viable alternative to MS Office. In fact, I'll probably give Linux gaming a try one of these days. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

36 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I guess we all hope one day we can run Windows app and games on Linux flawlessly.  However Wine and that other one which I forgot need to advance more.

Or maybe, just maybe, games will be compiled for Linux and not need a translation layer.....

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Or maybe, just maybe, games will be compiled for Linux and not need a translation layer.....

WIshful thinking I suppose.  Uncle bily has a stranglehold on us right now!

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

WIshful thinking I suppose.  Uncle bily has a stranglehold on us right now!

Not really, I can compile my work for whatever platform I choose, the issue is that so many games and engines have been using DirectX for so long that changing over to OpenGL is a lot of work for the relitively small audience. Would only take one major game engine to devleop a Linux variant and almost every game based on that platform would be most of the way there for support.

44 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Not really, I can compile my work for whatever platform I choose, the issue is that so many games and engines have been using DirectX for so long that changing over to OpenGL is a lot of work for the relitively small audience. Would only take one major game engine to devleop a Linux variant and almost every game based on that platform would be most of the way there for support.

Both Unreal and Unity have Linux support (Unreal you need to compile the editor yourself while Unity has a ready to go package), also you want to target Vulkan instead of OpenGL if you want the high throughput.

Not a viable option for me, it may never be

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Depends if the next system I build is solely for gaming or not.  I more than likely will start doing video editing, which means I have to evaluate the quality of software available on Linux for that as well.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As I already stated in the LTT official thread, can be just a viable alternative when it's supported

I'm just saying not every setup will 100% supported like the most common ones, and I can make a few examples like 144Hz monitor support (GNOME 3.32 is the only one supporting it decently at the moment) double monitor setups on X.org (X.org Is unable to v-sync multiple outputs by technical limitation)

But at least things could improve in the future, especially with more people testing it

And the worst thing are laptops, buggy ACPI implementations that require workaround (terminal digging with different kernel options) on different OS than Windows since they come with it, or in this case just worth buying supported machines like the XPS

With that said, I think you can use it when it's supported for your uses, you need also to check games compatibility as Proton currently do not work with everything, but it's improving for sure

For now EAC games do not work, but the EAC team is working with valve to get it working, which is really nice

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Not a viable option for me, it may never be

It is only worth if you got support for the things you want to do without hassling too much imo, at least unless it will get full compatibility with Wine/windows program

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not really. 

And most Unix distros can run Linux programs, not the other way around.

Since most of nix like software is open source they can be relatively easy ported, as for binary compatibility it wouldn't be so hard to make a wrapper like the one freebsd has, doesn't make sense anyway viceversa since there are not a lot of Unix proprietary software that is missing on Linux (except some industrial ones, but there is no need here)

19 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Depends if the next system I build is solely for gaming or not.  I more than likely will start doing video editing, which means I have to evaluate the quality of software available on Linux for that as well.

Could actually be and issue for two reasons, not all distros deal nice with new hardware especially Nvidia gpus and default graphics drivers, and for video editing software. For example davinci resolve for Linux doesn't support h264, and open source alternatives can be rough to learn and not stable, but at least sufficient for some home made and simple video editings, so just be a bit careful about it. But I suppose things can only improve in the future, kdenlive used to crash twice a day to me 2 years ago, now it doesn't.

I'm willing to give it a try, it'll just take a lot of learning about which distro to use and which is for me.

I don't game that often nowadays so using Linus as perhaps a lighter secondary OS could be a good idea for me.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Could actually be and issue for two reasons, not all distros deal nice with new hardware especially Nvidia gpus and default graphics drivers, and for video editing software. For example davinci resolve for Linux doesn't support h264, and open source alternatives can be rough to learn and not stable, but at least sufficient for some home made and simple video editings, so just be a bit careful about it. But I suppose things can only improve in the future, kdenlive used to crash twice a day to me 2 years ago, now it doesn't.

It's horses for courses, I use premier as my mastering suite for audio, and it crashes randomly too.  It just comes down to making sure you know what you need to achieve before you start trying to achieve it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, clean said:

meh, I run OSX, Windows and Linux. If the game runs on OSX I will often use it over the rest due to apple optimizing intel CPU's well (assuming the game runs well on OSX). Outside of steam OS I never really game on linux...  I mean windows is free now. I could see it gaining popularity in the future with game streaming becoming more mainstream.

Do a macOS vs Windows gaming comparison. Most ports take a performance hit. There is no magic optimization going on. Any optimization goes towards the OS, not games ported from windows.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

While I liked the video, it seems similar videos have been popping up for a couple of years now (from other sources) basically claiming the same thing. That Linux has a few things here and there that you have to deal with but otherwise it is very easy to do your gaming on it...with some limitations.

I suppose it is possible that may finally be true but I don't see the point. Most good Windows gaming rigs can easily run Linux in a VM. To me, it would be a much better solution to do your day to day stuff in a Linux VM and do only your gaming in Windows natively. For the anti-Windows 10/Microsoft crowd, it limits your use of Windows while still giving you the best gaming experience.

Dual booting would work as well but that is much less convenient.

-kp

Every time I've tried Linux, I've had to use the Terminal within an hour of setting it up because I had to do something that wasn't possible through the GUI.... Or because the GUI didn't recognize my monitor's resolution and had to manually add it through the terminal... or to install something that wasn't in the repository... or...

It might be fine if all you do is browse the internet and do not much else, but the moment you try to do anything remotely "advanced", you need the terminal. I hate this. Even if there's plenty of just "copy and paste this and it will work", it's annoying and sometimes you need to really search to find that piece of info.

At least .deb installs for many applications outside the repository are a thing nowadays... but so many app developers just don't bother and assume you want/know how, to compile from source.

So quite frankly, as long as there is still such a heavy reliance on the terminal to do mundane tasks, it will never go mainstream.

But I might consider it if there was a distro where literally everything you could possible need/want for gaming was already built-in, with driver support and what not... and didn't look like it came straight out of 1995.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I am obstaining from voting for the moment, as I have not watched the video.

I have however been using Linux on my own person SSD at work as a test drive for the laptops I work on, as I needed something that could move between multiple systems (all the same model) without bitching about MAC Addresses. Which I purchased because people at work complained when I would use one of the two work provided test drives, then have to leave for other work related duties, and forget to return said test drive.

And so far? Mint has worked marvelously. Even remembers what chromium tabs I had opened including cookie clicker lol. Just need to find a way to get an emulator working on it that can read all these roms that I acquired.

Completely legitimately acquired *cough*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs