How many people are considering Linux now as a viable gaming option after LTT's video?

MarbleHornets

How many people are considering Linux now as a viable gaming option after LTT's video?   

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Linux distro for your gaming PC?

• You'll never take Windows away from me!
    • I've already been using Linux...
    • I'm considering it now
    • Mac OSX Gaming Club

31 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

so in other word, linux doesn't really offer any much better performance in gaming and a pain in the arese to set up to do the things you need it to do so you're better off just sticking to what ever you're using unless you have bunch of spare time to trouble shoots stuff. 

PS not really saying you are wrong, just talking from a perspective of a person who couldn't be bothered to switch to a whole new OS, hence my original comment

Will it make my life any easier ? No? .......then no.. i was answering the OP. 

There is no troubleshooting at all when using lutris or steam play tbh, as for gaming performance the DXVK project is still in development and had it's first actual release after being an alpha 1 month ago, and in the future will probably have in-par performance or even better given since the translation from an high level API to low level one could offer technically better performance (note that dxvk works even on Windows and in some games performs even better than directx11) and it's already the case for a bunch of games

I'm not a full Linux user either tbh even though I use it from 11 years, I have to say only the latest 3 or 4 had the biggest advance in features, I always used it for the 80% of my work (it was 60 before DXVK was released since I exclusively gamed on Windows since then) and it definitely makes my life easier even though the hassle of dual booting for what personally do, since you did not was more specific about what you do with your PC rather than just gaming, I don't know what to say tbh, I guess ok since you was answering to OP

Since also I got a 1060 and a 144hz monitor, having 150 fps rather than 160 on a game that I would set to low graphic settings even on windows, for example doesn't touch me that much even if the performance would be in par with Windows in the future

Edited by Chunchunmaru_

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Manjaro then. Got my games up and running without touching the terminal. Everything just worked through the GUI with no hassle. I didn't go much deeper as I just aimed to try it out but it had a no terminal experience, looked great and was easy to navigate :)

Will give it a try through a VM. I've mostly ever used Mint and Ubuntu and both were pretty meh experiences.

Edit : Great, first hurdle, there's 12 different editions to download... Who has time to try all of them to know which one they prefer...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Will give it a try through a VM. I've mostly ever used Mint and Ubuntu and both were pretty meh experiences.

Edit : Great, first hurdle, there's 12 different editions to download... Who has time to try all of them to know which one they prefer...

I'd go for Cinnamon as that's the nicest desktop imo. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd go for Cinnamon as that's the nicest desktop imo. 

Apparently there's a spin-off called "Manjaro : Gaming Edition" or mGAMe for short...

Will try both Cinnamon and that one I guess. Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'll put it this way: if for some reason I have to either build a new PC or just reinstall my OS, I'll use Linux. The thing is that, for me anyway, reinstalling 40+GB of programs and nearly a terabyte of games for only a handful of benefits (in the short term, anyway) just isn't worth it (and this is assuming that I can find alternative programs for stuff that's Windows-only and I don't have to deal with obscure errors or minor annoyances).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 4/11/2019 at 4:09 AM, Turtle Rig said:

Its not a real thing.  Linux cant run games for crap and if they do its going to be a low low fps.  Unix is like mac,, for dummies, Also MAC OS it based off linux.  If you take away the command line switches and all that jazz, unix is a simple ugly no control over OS.

MacOS is UNIX-based. Both MacOS and Linux can run games quite well, relative to their hardware (On Integrated graphics chipsets, MacOS performs better than Windows for certain games). 

Please get an education. 

So I'm trying to configure Pop!OS on my laptop (slowly but surely) so that I can test the feasibility of running Linux on my desktop, because currently, my biggest worries are:

1) Gaming, a fairly obvious one, but I'm more curious the extent of the affect Linux will have on my primary games, namely Overwatch. I expect a performance hit but I'm hoping it's within the negligible range I already have capped off in Overwatch, combined with my concern about it affecting things like input latency. Ideally, I'm hoping Pop!OS is as competitively viable as Windows install or within a margin of it.

2) Recording software like ShadowPlay. Not a massive point for me but I like having it enabled.

3) By consequence of the former, editing software. I would need to replace Vegas 14, but it's not a huge deal, I just like having it available.

4) Specific Microsoft apps like the Office suite. I only need it for a little while longer and I don't like the idea of having to dual boot to swap operating systems a couple times every day just to use it.

I really want to get more comfortable with Linux regardless of whether or not I daily it, but hey if I can daily it, sweet.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Were all over the place on this thread lol,  Guys there is no way to run a dx11 game dx12 , and if  your oging to make it work with wine or that other one I cant come up with, your gonna have issues with the game the audio graphics etc,,,, you can chug along and play it but for what ?  Windows all the way!  I like WIndows 10 ever since they started doing major upgrades every six months.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

18 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Were all over the place on this thread lol,  Guys there is no way to run a dx11 game dx12 , and if  your oging to make it work with wine or that other one I cant come up with, your gonna have issues with the game the audio graphics etc,,,, you can chug along and play it but for what ?  Windows all the way!  I like WIndows 10 ever since they started doing major upgrades every six months.

You have shown in this thread on so many occasions that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about that it's becoming painful.

Nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, Suika said:

So I'm trying to configure Pop!OS on my laptop (slowly but surely) so that I can test the feasibility of running Linux on my desktop, because currently, my biggest worries are:

1) Gaming, a fairly obvious one, but I'm more curious the extent of the affect Linux will have on my primary games, namely Overwatch. I expect a performance hit but I'm hoping it's within the negligible range I already have capped off in Overwatch, combined with my concern about it affecting things like input latency. Ideally, I'm hoping Pop!OS is as competitively viable as Windows install or within a margin of it.

Some sites to see for compatibility:

https://www.protondb.com/
https://appdb.winehq.org/
https://lutris.net/

2) Recording software like ShadowPlay. Not a massive point for me but I like having it enabled.

ShadowPlay isn't on Linux, however OBS (Open Broadcast Software) is and is well supported.

3) By consequence of the former, editing software. I would need to replace Vegas 14, but it's not a huge deal, I just like having it available.

Krita and Gimp would do well for images, while videos you'll find Kdenlive, Davinci Resolve,and Cinelerra GG should fill it.

4) Specific Microsoft apps like the Office suite. I only need it for a little while longer and I don't like the idea of having to dual boot to swap operating systems a couple times every day just to use it.

I really want to get more comfortable with Linux regardless of whether or not I daily it, but hey if I can daily it, sweet.

That would be more of a sore spot, older versions of the Office suite work well and a bunch of their apps have a web version though. (See section 1 on seeing for Windows compatibility)